Copying hybrid SACD/CDs:

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, May 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

Does anyone know if it is possible to make a digital copy of the CD half of a hybrid SACD/CD?

2. petzi

petzi Forum Resident

Certainly. It´s a red book CD.

3. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

You can certainly copy the redbook format of the SACD. I think, and I am working on this at this time, that you can also rip the SACD DSD tracks and downsample to 16 bit although I really dont see the benefit. Down sampling would require dither of the wav and therefore degredation of signal. :cool:

4. petzi

petzi Forum Resident

Re: Re: Copying hybrid SACD/CDs:

Well that is quite cool, what do you use to rip those DSD tracks ? And why downsample to 16 bit, unless you want to make a copy of a non-hybrid SACD for the car.

One could convert a ripped DSD track to hi-res PCM and burn an Audio DVD from it :D

Or vice versa: Make a (multichannel) SACD of audio DVDs for my home player, which is not able to play multichannel audio DVDs :rolleyes:

BTW, Hybrid SACDs are very expensive in manufacturing, as far as I know.

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

Downsampling does not involve dither. Reducing the bit-depth does. Downsampling does more to degrade the sound than dither.

6. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Grant,

Your CD-rom drive will just see the hybrid disc as an ordinary CD so you can do what you normally do to copy CD. If copy protection has been implemented on this layer you may have trouble but a marker pen should see to that! However, if the marker pen ink obscures the SACD music data you might have a problem with playing the hi-res layer.....

Hey Alexis :cool:,

how can you rip the DSD layer without a digital output?! As far as I was aware, there are no SACD players yet available with a built in digital output for the DSD playback (they only have a digital out for 16 bit / 44.1 KHz playback).

Are you up to your crazy electronics again - have you built a DSD digital out for your player? I thought that, after you tried to build a 16-track studio with 16 speakers at Saville Row, you retired gracefully :D.

7. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Now why would anyone want to copy a Hybrid SACD / CD? :confused:

8. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

I was wondering the same thing :confused:

9. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

Well, maybe if one were going to make a compilation CD-R, I could see why one would want to be able to copy a hybrid SACD.

10. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

If I had a hybrid SACD and I wanted to play it in the car I would rather play a CD-R copy of the CD layer than put the original in my car player.

Also, when travelling, I take CD-R copies of my CDs to play on my walkman rather than the originals - if you loose 32 original CDs it'll cost quite a bit to replace them.........

11. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

That makes sense! :)

12. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

OK, I understand now :)

13. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Re: Re: Re: Copying hybrid SACD/CDs:

You are a very observant fellow...no one else has yet discovered my identity! :D You don't know how hard it is to hide from the BIG entertainers once you've run off with the cash! ;)

I have not yet found a way to do this but it should not require any elaborate hardware except a computer and some custom written software to force the drive to read the hidden data tracks. That's a big enough hurdle; my guess.

14. lucifer-chops

lucifer-chops Forum Resident

Re: Re: Re: Re: Copying hybrid SACD/CDs:

Surely it would take more than some custom software to see the SACD information on your computer. My understanding is that it occupies a different physical layer on the disk. You would need to re-calibrate the laser in your PC as well!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.