Cord cutters - How many streaming services do you pay for?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by telliott, Nov 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bresna

bresna Senior Member

You Tube TV was able to negotiate with CBS and remove the requirement that forced VOD during playback so no more forced commercials on the cloud DVR!!

I am psyched.

2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

There are actually ways to circumvent the geolocation stuff involved with Locast using a Chrome/Firefox plugin used with the Locast website if using a computer and using just a Location Faker app along with the Locast app and there are videos that explain how to do this on YouTube.

3. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I called my cable company about cutting the cord, the internet service is like $70. I’m paying $120 for over hundred channels and internet plus the landline phone which I prefer to use for chatting with family and friends at home.
    Makes no since to cut the cord. I also have amazon prime and Netflix on and off through the year.

4. telliott

telliott Senior Member Thread Starter

How many are enjoying HBO Max? I just subscribed for a one week trial through Hulu. I paused Netflix so I'm thinking about replacing Netflix for a while. I may switch back but I don't watch enough to justify paying for both at the same time.

905 likes this.
  5. cdcollector87

cdcollector87 Forum Resident

The only paid one I still use is YouTubeTV. I have a few free ones like Tubi and PlutoTV that have enjoyable content as well.

jason88cubs likes this.
  6. AintGotHalfOf

AintGotHalfOf Forum Resident

I just signed up for Locast, don't get good reception so...Just went with the donation option as being interrupted every 15-20 minutes wasn't worth it.

None others although I had Amazon Prime in the past. Pluto, Crackle, Xumo all good apps. Just perusing this thread and may pick up twit and Kanopy.

7. AintGotHalfOf

AintGotHalfOf Forum Resident

Was watching Pluto this morning and on the Johnny Carson Channel there was a great episode with Don Rickles ca.1980 I guess. He was in rare form riffing with Johnny (who was smoking a cigarette) and Ed.

cdcollector87 likes this.
  8. Big Jimbo

Big Jimbo Forum Resident

I cut the cord two weeks ago. For 24 hours I thought of getting you tube or something similar but said no. Now I have no plans. I have Met Opera, Criterion, Berlin Philharmonic, NHL and F1. Still have Amazon prime but won’t renew at the end of the month. That’s plenty...maybe even too much

9. mfidelity

mfidelity Senior Member

I'm liking HBO Max. I have Netflix as well. I'm keeping both - the amount of content for $21.98/month is well worth it for me. Those are the only pay services I use. I had YouTube TV for a few months but could not justify $70/month.

telliott likes this.
  10. Veronica Mars

Veronica Mars Forum Resident

Zero. We use friends.

11. We currently have Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and Disney. Going to be cutting Disney after Wandavision concludes-not enough content for me. We also have a year free of Apple TV as well. Probably cutting Hulu as well once a couple of series wind up.

12. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Is there anything worth keeping Apple TV+ for after watching Ted Lasso ??

13. geetar_await

geetar_await I heart Linux.

i use peacock free version and youtube, but might use hulu paid later. i see a lot of the same shows on the services i like, so it might be whittled to just 1 eventually.

14. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

CBS All Access is doing a promo. 30 bucks for the entire year and in a couple of weeks they add Paramount movies. For $2.50 a month I'm giving it a try. The only thing worth any money on it is some of the Smithsonian channel shows. It's pretty bad. Hopefully the Paramount movies added are good.

telliott likes this.
  15. telliott

Nice. I assume that's with commercials.

16. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

This is something I’ve considered from time to time since I still feel like I’m throwing money away on cable TV (even after heavily stripping down my package). The biggest problem is that I watch a fair amount of regional sports and none of the options I’ve considered to this point make enough sense from a cost-benefit standpoint to justify dropping cable entirely. I’d be all for it since I think the money I’m wasting on a cable box and lackluster DVR is basically just tossed in the toilet, but I can’t watch all my teams live if I drop cable.

jason88cubs likes this.
  17. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Yes it is but the couple of Smith shows I’ve watched had no commercials. Maybe all the CBS and MTV crap do when you watch.

18. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

All I have is MLB-TV. I gotta do something soon so I can get the playoffs on TBS and ESPN. MLB Network would be nice too. What do you guys recommend?

19. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

F1 TV

AppleTV

MLB TV

20. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

ESPN+
    PARAMOUNT +
    FUBOTV

21. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

YouTube TV
    Netflix
    Prime

22. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I'm sort of in the same boat, but I need to wait to see if the Phillies can overtake the Braves in the NL East. If that happens, I'll sign up for Sling - that one has all of the MLB playoff channels.

milankey likes this.
  23. telliott

Youtube TV is so expensive. Do they give you Youtube Premium and/or music for the price?

24. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

No. But I get all of the sports channels and HBO, showtime and Cinemax. I like the interface.

I’ve expired all of my free trials elsewhere. And now when you look, all prices are almost equal, or you pay a lower price for crap you don’t want. And for me, YT TV has the most bang for its buck.

telliott likes this.
  25. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Also, 64 bucks compared to cable and Directv, I’ll take this.

telliott likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.