Cord cutters - How many streaming services do you pay for?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by telliott, Nov 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

I now see you can get NFL Sunday ticket to stream everywhere. It used to be you could only do it if you were a college student or live in areas where satellite reception was not ideal.

But it’s like 73 bucks a month right now.

I like that you don’t have to have one of those dishes on your house now, though..

2. J. R.

J. R. Cat Herder

Too many

brownie61 likes this.
  3. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Pirate Bay

Drew likes this.
  4. DorothyV

DorothyV Forum Resident

Amazon Prime: full price
    Hulu: $1.99/month, 12-month Black Friday special - will likely drop it at the end of the promo period
    Apple TV: free for a year with new iPhone purchase this summer, will drop at the end of the promo period
    HBO Max: $7.49/month for 6 months promo, just started this weekend

5. analog74

analog74 Forum Resident

None. I have a plethora of dvds/blurays and a digital antenna I rarely use. Otherwise I watch things like Carson on Pluto tv, docs on Youtube. Plenty of stuff out there for having to sit through a few ads!

altaeria, sgtmono and Tim Lookingbill like this.
  6. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

Yeah but the difference is you’re paying for stuff you actually want to see instead of a bunch of channels and commercials you have zero interest in.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  7. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

HBOMax and Amazon Prime. Dumped Netflix. I mostly watch Youtube for free.

Matt Richardson likes this.
  8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Netflix
    Amazon Prime
    Hulu
    Paramount+ (16 months for $25 deal)
    Apple+ (free since it started and for another 3 months)
    Live broadcast via antenna

I probably will not continue Apple+ once I have to pay for it.
    I probably will not pay for Paramount+ once I have to pay real money for it.

Netflix/Prime/Hulu offer a ton of options.

9. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Currently have:

YouTube TV
    Amazon Prime
    Netflix
    HBO Max

Netflix is #1 on the chopping block right now.

If YouTube TV loses access to NBC channels, I will subscribe to $4.99/month Peacock to maintain access to NFL games. This will save me $5/month, as YouTube TV says they will lower subscription fees by $10/month until the NBC situation is sorted out. No big deal for me, as Sunday Night Football is the only NBC thing I really need to have.

Amazon Prime is something I would have anyway for the shipping, so whatever I watch on Amazon Prime is a bonus.

HBO Max is the big draw for me right now, and I don’t think any other service can compete with it, at least as far as what I’m interested in watching.

trumpet sounds likes this.
  10. AlecA

AlecA Forum Resident

Amazon Prime (Like many, I have it as a bonus; the TV content is not the main reason I have it).
    Paramount + (Just got it a few months ago to check out the Star Trek content-Discovery, Picard, and Lower Decks)

11. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

Turns out NBC was trying to force YOUTUBE TV subscrivbers to automatically have to get Peacock and be paying additional 10 dollars

12. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

I have YouTube tv and The Peacock network. So if NBC is off YouTube TV, I still won’t be able to watch NBC programs live, no MSNBC at all and Im missing out in local sports..wow that’s really terrible.

13. clayton

clayton Senior Member

Netflix
    Hulu
    Amazon Prime
    Acorn TV

14. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

Same here. The public library also fills in the gaps.

15. CantonJester

CantonJester Lost faces say we adore you…

YouTube TV
    Acorn TV
    Apple TV+
    Netflix (4k)
    Hulu (with ads)
    Amazon
    Peacock (with ads)
    NFL Sunday Ticket streaming (I'm a 51 year old grad student - so I get to take advantage of a $120/yr offer)
    MLB Extra Innings (same deal - but it's like $60/yr or something like that)

We just fired Disney and ESPN+ by downgrading our Hulu package. I had YouTube TV but wanted to see if I could save a bit by bumping the Hulu (no ads) bundle up to include Live, but after 3 days and about a dozen buffers, to hell with that. YouTube TV is still king on live streaming broadcast TV.

16. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

I shut off cable in 2013. The main sacrifice for me was losing sports programming.

In the last couple of years, I've moved to streaming primarily to catch selected sports events. Even something like YouTube TV at $65/mo is cheaper than cable. And I can shut it off or pause it when I don't need it. This year I've been swapping back and forth between YouTube TV and Sling TV - depending upon which sports events I want to watch.

I'm on ESPN+ for a few months to watch European World Cup qualifying matches.

I may need to switch on Paramount+ for a month at some point to get US men's national team World Cup qualifying matches (road games).

I had Netflix for a few months last year, but the original Netflix programming didn't float my boat enough to stay on it.

Matt Richardson likes this.
  17. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

American Outlaws gave us a code for one month free (which ends in about 5 days). So we only got it for the one road match, really (which was nice of them to help us with).

However, I don't think I'm re-upping. It looks like it'll be on Universo, too, which I have on Youtube TV.

18. fairaintfair

fairaintfair I Buried Paul

Bang for buck I dont find any service to be worth the money, so I'd happily kill what I have (Netflix and Amazon).
    But I have 14 year old daughter and she'd have my head on a pike if I killed them..So now I'm just waiting it out.

19. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

Netflix and Amazon Prime. I have an Apple TV free trial that I've still not used. YouTube I use a lot too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.