Cork Mat v Rubber

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Diorama, Mar 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

That's not truly blind. In any event, you can't just swap mats on the fly because they're of considerably different thickness and the VTA would be completely different. Moreover, I see no point in the exercise. I already own both mats and prefer one in some circumstances and the other mat in other circumstances.

Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who. ;)

TarnishedEars likes this.
  2. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

If youre blindfolded, sure it is. And not for you perhaps, but for others it does have a point.

3. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Okay, I'm wrong. Is that what you want me to say? Mea culpa. Let's end this.

Everyone: Please don't follow my advice regarding mats. It's flawed because it was not a blind test.

punkmusick likes this.
  4. Leonthepro

I was just asking, the point Im trying to make is that I dont know if youre wrong or right without a test, not that I have the answer and demand you to agree.

5. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I have experimented with several different mats over the years. I stopped using the rubber ones (which were rather thick) because it sounded like to me they were dampening the highs and I didn't like it. For several years I didn't use any mat, but over the past month or so I've been using a very thin cork mat, in hopes it could tame some of the static electricity I've been dealing with. It seems like it helps a bit.

6. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

I appreciate you pointing that out. Fair enough. However, it does not appear anybody in this thread has done any sort of scientifically-accepted testing...it's all anecdotal. So, we must take it for what it's worth.

Sorry if I came off as testy!

Leonthepro likes this.
  7. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

I've not done any double blind studies but I closed my eyes twice while listening. :)

bever70, GyroSE and Angry_Panda like this.
  8. Leonthepro

Same.

snorker likes this.
  9. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

How about an "all three" solution? A rubber / cork / deerhide sandwich?

That is what I have on my GT-2000L and it works well -- I was in a situation where I needed a little more VTA on the table -- stuck the cork underneath the deerhide as a temporary solution a while ago and never went back!
    [​IMG]

10. RossC

RossC Forum Resident

Only last night I swapped out my Denon rubber mat for a 'Thorens Cork and Rubber Platter Mat'.

The aim was to reduce static which it has really helped with, but the intention of the purchase wasn't to necessarily improve sound. I was instantly suprised to hear improved bass and the addition of even more warmth to my copy of Love Over Gold.

While it wasn't a blind test, I had no expectation of sound difference, so it really took me by surprise to instantly hear the change.

11. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

I use $10 cork mats in my Rega P2 and Garrard Type A. I think they do a nice job stopping the static.

12. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

I prefer the stock rubber mat. If stock mat is in poor shape, Herbies Way Excellent II is likely worth more at $55 vs cork mats.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  13. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

Of the two, I prefer cork, which I used for several years. That being said, I am currently using a leather mat that I like. (Not the furry cow hide kind).

14. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I have mainly used OEM rubber mats because in most cases they are what's best for the turntables that I've used. Other materials are fine also, it just depends on your turntable and what it was designed for. Some aftermarket mats may be too thick or too thin for some turntables and throw off VTA. I also don't think any mat is a cure-all for static issues. It makes more sense to go to the source, which is often climate control/humidity. In some rare cases there may be an electrical issue. IIRC awhile back there was an issue with a TEAC turntable where it had a design flaw or improper grounding or something that would increase static while playing records. Now, I do have a Zerostat, anti-static inner sleeves, and a Gruv Glide kit, but I consider that stuff icing on the cake, not the first thing one should check.

15. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Exactly, static attracts dust like a magnet. Dust will degrade your sound more than any potential gains from the mat. I do believe rubber surpasses cork in terms of cleanliness, (no pores that hold particles) better static control, more durable. Rubber is an excellent dampener of vibration as cork, but doesn't have all the negatives.

16. Doctor Fine

Doctor Fine "So Hip It Would Blister Your Brain"

I just got in two more Hudson HiFi mats and put them under the existing Technics SL1210M5G mat and Pioneer PLX1000 mat also.
    That brings my mats in use total up to three for the Pioneer and two for the Technics.
    Having multiple mats of the right diameter allows for all kinds of stylus rake adjustments in search of getting the music to "knit together" and sound all as one...
    I recently went all Denon DL103 on both tables and needed some extra mat height.
    As for sound I use a clamp that is just heavy enough to secure the record on the platter without killing it through over damping.
    I like the platter resonance killing of the stock sorbothane mats.
    Being able to properly adjust arm height really makes a big difference.
    As for material I don't have the time to get into more testing right now so I think I will stop right here for now...

17. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

My experience with my modded AR turntable is cork sounded less dynamic, more frequency-restricted and flatter vs. using a mat made of a composite of cork and rubber. The difference once I switched to cork/rubber really was that dramatic.

This is the one I bought.

[​IMG]

BrilliantBob and The FRiNgE like this.
  18. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

Did the Beatles use cork or rubber?

19. ayrehead

ayrehead Bipedal Forum Resident

They used Norwegian Wood. :)

CMT, steviebee, bever70 and 2 others like this.
  20. Day_Tripper2019

Day_Tripper2019 Forum Resident

A felt mat leaves a lot of it's self on the platter.

p147 and Vinny123 like this.
  21. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

I found the same

22. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

I’ve had the same experience.

23. Leonthepro

Never seen that, got pictures?

24. BrilliantBob

BrilliantBob Select, process, CTRL+c, CTRL+z, ALT+v

Cork+rubber mat vs stock rubber mat on my TT PS-HX500. I use the belt TT for needle drops only.
    PRO:
    - static out
    - less rumble from the spindle bearing (-260g weight)
    - better SRA, more highs for Sumiko Pearl cart (3mm vs 5mm mat thick)
    CON:
    - more TT noise floor (increased die cast platter resonance)
    Not a problem, I completely remove the TT noise floor when I process the needle drop.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. p147

p147 Forum Resident

Over the years I have had many mats and the one I have found to be the best is a rubber profile/ribbed mat, reason being that no vinyl is perfectly flat and quite a few records have the centre section raised which means that the vinyl in effect is tipped to the outer edge on a flat mat, the ribbed mat will also take out undulations in some distorted vinyl.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.