Could the Beatles have broken more ground and/or pioneered more?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Myrtonos, May 19, 2023.

1. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

They basically carried popular music for most of the 1960s. That's more than enough to ask of anyone.

notesfrom, HfxBob and CHALKERS like this.
  2. CHALKERS

CHALKERS Forum Resident

I don't understand the point you're trying to make. I expect that nothing is supposed to sound like anything. Yes, we have genres and there's plenty of music that seemingly doesn't fit into any specific category but I think you were clutching at straws for calling Ob-La-Di-Ob-La-Da a reggae track and for calling Helter Skelter a metal track.

3. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

Could the Beatles have broken more ground and/or pioneered more?

Please God, no more.

Swedgen, Catcher10, ARK and 1 other person like this.
  4. Garageflower

Garageflower Turn up the music. Hi as Fi can go.

I know this may seem petty but many forum members know all about The Kinks and See My Friends predating Norwegian Wood. Also, I think The Yardbirds have similar claims. Whilst it may be true, that a couple of acts started to introduce an Indian flavour to their music, it still doesn't alter the fact, that The Beatles were the first to actually use a sitar. They were probably also the first to use a lot of other Indian instruments in Western pop music.

It's a bit like when they were the first to deliberately record feedback. Plenty of acts had been doing this in a live setting before this, but it doesn't alter the fact The Beatles were the first to use it intentionally on a record.

Mickey2 and HfxBob like this.
  5. stanleynohj

stanleynohj Forum Resident

I thought it was well known that those songs were considered those sorts of songs (as done by four lads from Liverpool)). If they aren't, what are they? They don't sound like Mersey Beat to me.

Did the Beatles Record the First Heavy Metal Song? | Exclaim! .

Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da - Wikipedia

6. CHALKERS

CHALKERS Forum Resident

Well I guess it wasn't well known by me.

McCartney wrote the song when reggae was becoming popular in Britain; author Ian MacDonald describes it as "McCartney's rather approximate tribute to the Jamaican ska idiom" - Wikipedia

Hardly 'reggae' - perhaps influenced by reggae/ska/rocksteady to some degree

Regarding the first article the sensationalist headline put me off straight away. And it answers it's own question in the article:

In 2018, McCartney told NME that he's never claimed credit for having recorded the first heavy metal song, reiterating that he was just trying to be like the Who. - Exclaim

We might have to agree to disagree on this one I think...

7. Aladdin Sane

Aladdin Sane Forum Resident

Possibly, but they would have become irrelevant like all artists.

8. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

The Beatles could have possibly branched out into expansive space rock. But in reality they were too grounded in English tradition and American roots music.

It took the Byrds and Jimi Hendrix to really soar into space rock territory.

The Beatles psychedelic music was SO good...and very diverse.

But America was where the Space Age really took off.

They're still the best band ever.

HfxBob likes this.
  9. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Love the Whack-a-mole image.

10. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Huh?

11. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Awww...

no.nine likes this.
  12. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I never thought of Ob-La-di as Reggae either; but interestingly, I used to work with a Jamaican fellow who basically knew nothing about The Beatles. One day, a Jamaican based radio station he was listening to played the song; he said to me a bit later how cool The Beatles were and that he didn’t know they did Reggae. It took me quite by surprise; if anything, the outtake version has hints of Reggae it but it never occurred to me with the originally released version.

human riff 999 and Garageflower like this.
  13. Myrtonos

Myrtonos Forum Resident Thread Starter

The question is if they could have also carried popular music into the 1970s as well, say if they had not lost their manager.

14. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Yeah, there was definitely nothing else happening in pop music back then. . .

15. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Like reading one of @Wildest cat from montana posts!

16. NightGoatToCairo

What on earth is space rock?

17. 70s: Some Early Pink Floyd, early Tangerine Dream, Hawkwind (first 5), Klaus Schulze, kosmische music of krautrock as opposed to motorik, Hearts of Space label, etc., I assume you were born after the Apollo missions and the moon landing?

ARK and DRM like this.
  18. versionsound

versionsound The six strings that drew blood

No to both.

19. versionsound

versionsound The six strings that drew blood

After they invented heavy metal, the next logical step was EDM. We can only imagine the possibilities.

20. NightGoatToCairo

Weren't The B*atles, the first band on the moon?

DRM likes this.

21. The Who had a Moon first.

22. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

Not sure, but I know what it isn't, and that would be The Byrds.

23. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

What “Beatle Wars” are you referencing???

DK Pete likes this.
  24. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

25. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Upon is release, I just enjoyed the song. Nowadays it kinda sounds Eastern European to my ears (dare I say Polka?). Whatever the case, I’ve always loved this bouncing gem.

Last edited: May 25, 2023
    DK Pete likes this.