Could the Beatles have broken more ground and/or pioneered more?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Myrtonos, May 19, 2023.

1. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

What did Jefferson Airplane produce 18 years after Paul visited San Francisco in 1967? That would be 1985. Jefferson Airplane disbanded in 1972.

905 likes this.
  2. Fabsmith

Fabsmith Forum Resident

Only if Brian Epstein didn’t cram every TV show, radio performance, concert, interview and more into their 1963-66 schedule. They really did not have freedom to be artistic until Rubber Soul and Revolver sessions and then Brian died in 1967. They changed the world anyway. What else could they have done? And I second others that they broke up at the right time.

3. 905

905 Senior Member

Not showing off, but that's what artists did back then, they played their just completed works for other artists. For instance, McCartney got to listen to an advanced copy of Pet Sounds thanks to Bruce Johnston, and was so inspired he went on to spur the Beatles into Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

4. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Their career was perfect. From fresh, innovative rockers with a great sounds and loads of talent to seasoned songwriters and sound pioneers.
    No mediocre reunion albums, no cash-in comeback tours...

5. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Paul McCartney could still record with Dave Mustaine.:waiting:

6. Myrtonos

Myrtonos Forum Resident Thread Starter

The big question in this thread is if it could have continued into the 1970s and even beyond, perhaps innovating where other bands have innovated instead.

Does anyone here know of any reunion albums that are perhaps not mediocre?

ciderglider likes this.
  7. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Since Macca wrote 10 songs to every one song the second most prolific member wrote the next Beatles albums were going to be top heavy with silly love songs had they remained together.

8. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

God Bluff by Van der Graaf Generator is possible their best album.

9. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

That’s my question as well. By the mid eighties they had morphed into The Starship releasing such masterpieces like We Built This City (I’m cringing as I write that).

speedracer likes this.
  10. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Technically, it saved the Beatles recording time and use of tracks, especially when they were still using 4 to 8 tracks. It gave them time to do something else instead of repeating the same vocal/instrumental how many more times. And it saved other people after from having to do their same vocals/instrumentals if they used the innovation, such as Pink Floyd on Piper At The Gates of Dawn and on Hendrix albums. It's like a xerox or copy/paste; you don't have to type it out again, and you can manipulate the tech to get even more sounds. So why not just sing the parts again or do the instrumental again? Well, with the use of ADT, you don't have to.

Automatic double tracking - Wikipedia

11. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

DRM likes this.
  12. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

speedracer and healter skealter like this.
  13. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Thank you for making my day. Actually miles better than the original.

14. stanleynohj

stanleynohj Forum Resident

If John, Paul, George, and Ringo had been solo artists in the 60s instead of a band together, would they have even gotten anywhere at all?

15. rdog

rdog Forum Resident

Could have been bigger than Jesus Breadbox.

16. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

A question that’s impossible to answer. Who would their musical influences be. Remember…no “Beatles”.

17. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

I think he was dumping on the Airplane, saying WBTC is of "equal calibre" to anything they did.

speedracer and DK Pete like this.
  18. stanleynohj

Well, they'd just carry on with whatever is going on...Paul would be writing I'll Follow The Sun, John would be writing Hello Little Girl or whatever, and they'd try and get somewhere (maybe) individually. And they'd listen to Smokey Robinson and all all the others they liked. They just wouldn't have each other...same as afterwards when they didn't have each other.

19. stanleynohj

Some people sneer at Free As A Bird and Real Love, done 25 years after, but I think they are masterful. And that they took John's vocal from a cassette and made it work, shows they still were willing to innovate and take chances.

20. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

If that’s so, it doesn’t even warrant comment.

Cool hand luke likes this.
  21. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

:angel:

DK Pete likes this.
  22. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

The only connection from Starship to Airplane was Grace Slick. No other members of Jefferson Airplane were in Starship. It was a completely different band. Saying Starship "Knee Deep In the Hoopla" was morphed from Jefferson Airplane would be like saying Mick Jagger "Goddess in the Doorway" was morphed from Rolling Stones. Or as Keef called it, "Dogsh_t In the Doorway."

Man at C&A and DK Pete like this.
  23. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I agree with you…I’m just trying to figure out what the “18 years later” could possibly have been referring to.

speedracer likes this.
  24. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

:rolleyes:

ARK likes this.
  25. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

How is it innovative to do the same thing that was already done countless times by many others, starting decades earlier?

Two famous examples that immediately come to mind are:

Norman Petty was overdubbing Buddy Holly's home recorded vocal and guitar demo tapes with a full band starting almost immediately after Holly died (in 1959).

Alan Douglas was editing and overdubbing. Jimi Hendrix's (raw, jammy, never meant for release) session tapes, to create finished masters throughout the last half of the 1970s (adding to and in many cases even erasing/replacing Jimi's original accompanists/band members on those tracks). Some of what Douglas did was technically quite impressive, though ethically quite appalling.

Last edited: May 28, 2023