Could you "retire" off of royalties from one hit song?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by guppy270, Dec 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

That's unfortunate, considering that Jeff Christie ripped off the original writer of Yellow River, which was I.P. Daily.

Sorry, I've been waiting since third grade to re-work that joke back into my life. Thanks for the opportunity.

2. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I once saw Peter Sarstedt interviewed on television. He said he wasn’t rich BUT ‘if I want to buy a new car, I don’t have to worry about paying for it. If I need to pay a bill, I never need to worry about being able to pay it. I’ve never had a mortgage and I’ve always been able to basically do what I want to do.’

That’s on the basis of one international hit, in 1969.

So, I think it was certainly possible ONCE to live on the proceeds of one song but I’m not sure about today.

Of course, most of the people who COULD live off just one song (McCartney, Jimmy Webb, etc) have also written a few other songs they could live off for a lifetime as well.

3. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Gerry Marsen and Nick Lowe are B-side millionaires.

Sean, DTK and Colocally like this.
  4. MitchLT

MitchLT Two for the show

Wonder how much Gary Glitter continues to make from his contribution to What’s The Story Morning Glory? (By Oasis) First track:

“Hello" (writers: Noel Gallagher, Gary Glitter, Mike Leander)

This must be a case of most money/least direct contribution..

And it really is just a small snippet (chorus repeated twice or something at the end)

j.barleycorn likes this.
  5. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Lowe was also fond of mentioning that Adrian Gurvitz wrote the song that appeared on the B-side of "I Will Always Love You." Nick's quote was, "I think he's off buying the Bahamas."

Bryan Harris, Oatsdad and DTK like this.
  6. floyd

floyd Senior Member

I really don't know how autobiographical that song is but the statement above seems rather ironic when you think about the lyrics, doesn't it?

JoeF., Jack Lord, supermd and 7 others like this.
  7. aforchione

aforchione Forum Resident

I’m sure he made serious bucks from Silk Degrees and the Urban Cowboy soundtrack, but I remember reading that Boz Scaggs regrets saying no to putting Lowdown on the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack.

JoeF. and Bryan Harris like this.
  8. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

See, this is why I wish one of the songs I put on YouTube would get covered by someone and turned into a hit....

Lemon Curry likes this.
  9. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

"Lowdown" would've been an awful fit for the Travolta strut anyway. The lyrics feel totally disconnected from anything in that movie.

10. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Lemmy Kilmister of Motorhead noted in several interviews that his writing for Ozzy Osbourne's Mama I'm Coming Home earned him more royalties than his entire career with his band.

11. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

Sorry don't get it - can you please explain what you mean

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  12. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

Noddy said in an interview that he made more money from Quiet Riot's version of Cum On Feel The Noize than he made from the combined sales of Slade's records in Britain combined!
    I'm not sure if he was exaggerating or not? Slade were absolutely massive in Britain for a few years and had hit after hit with many number ones.[deservedly so too!]

nytechy likes this.
  13. txguitar

txguitar Senior Member

Probably could if the royalties were enough, I know John Hartford made a million in
    royalties off Gentle on my mind, but he continued to tour. I talked to John once after
    a show and he told me, that he didn't really didn't get into music for the money.
    He just enjoyed playing and happened to get lucky, of course I would say talent and
    hard work had a lot to do with it. Hartford was also a very talented sign painter and
    could have made a living without music. I'm glad he made the choice.

14. Terry

Terry Senior Member

I would love this.

15. thematinggame

didn't he buy an old Mississippi steamship with the royalties?

16. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Slade wasn't so successful in the US but Quiet Riot's cover sure as heck was, it was everywhere for years. That's what QR did for Slade - they opened up the American market for them (so to speak)!

17. mbd40

mbd40 Steely Dan Fan

Interesting. Turns out Billy Squier is more influential in hip hop than in rock.

18. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

They probably had a lot of debt and some poor contracts in the earlier days. Income from publishing is a lot more straight forward.

19. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Ah, good point.

20. rikki nadir

rikki nadir Gentleman Thug

You should all check out my new ditty - it's called 'It's Funny How Much I Will Always Love Christmas, And Peace, And Understanding (Everybody)'

And all you guys seeking 'inspiration' - yes, it IS most certainly copyrighted!

21. Desbug

Desbug Forum Resident

There isn’t any such person as I P Daily but try saying that out loud and think about the song title.

Like a prank call in the Simpsons...

22. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

i heard that it was the same thing for freddie hubbard with "red clay" when sampled by atcq! he could afford medical cure for his wife brigitte!!!

23. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

I wonder what singing competitions on TV have done for writers with a frequently performed song.

24. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I think JJ Cale said something like that, when an interviewer asked him abut money he made from EC covering all his stuff (not to mention Santana, Bryan Ferry, etc).

25. thematinggame

Thanks - I get it now;)

SRC likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.