Counterpart starring J.K. Simmons

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chazro, Jan 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Thank god this appears to be going well. That theme from his last series has been stuck in my head for months.
    (You know the one: "We. Are. Farmers. Pum-pa-dum-pum-pum-pum-pum..." )

Ignatius likes this.
  2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

It has turned out to be a slow boiling show, quite good. I like what they've done with the "Fringe" idea of parallel Earths and that they are taking their time.

audiomixer likes this.
  3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I'm waiting to binge it. I think I'll get much more out of the narrative without a week's gap between episodes.

Lownote30 likes this.
  4. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident Thread Starter

Problem with 'bingeing' is you sometimes wolf down a fine meal that would be better experienced if you chewed it slowly!;)

rontoon, Stillhouse and Lownote30 like this.
  5. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Nah. From what I can gather, this is a fairly complex, plot heavy show, with perhaps some potentially confusing elements (due to multi-reality doppelgängers , etc), and therefore binging will keep everything fresh in my mind and thus be more enjoyable.

Some shows which require less concentration, like say Homeland, I don't mind watching on a weekly schedule. But the reality is, in general, I'd much rather binge watch.

6. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Binge-watching isn't just meant for actual binge-ing, you know; you could just use it to catch something you missed because you hadn't heard the buzz on it, then jump-in on your own convenience. I watched two seasons of Stranger Things in about 3 months' time, just fitting it in on my schedule.

To take advantage of the availability over "questionable means", I can catch, say, the first two at once, to help me follow it later. I might bundle-up on a pair of episodes to eliminate the inevitable cliff-hangers that would be meant to gin-up excitement going into a mid-season break, or season "finale".

So don't bother trying to push my buttons with weddings, baby births or unexpected "mysteries" lobbed-onto the top of a finale, only to resolve itself the first four minutes into the next season. Your puny "seasons" mean nothing to me, you wanna-be-Silverman's! I zap in your general direction! Your mother was a TGIF sitcom, and your father smelt of Must-See-TV!!!

7. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Fringe came to mind immediately when I started watching this show. I've been enjoying it, but the last episode was boring as hell for me - except the nice reveal at the end...

8. I love this series, it makes me spend the whole episode of the week speculating on what may happen next and who the bad guys/girls can be even if they're nice on the screen.

Lownote30 likes this.
  9. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I just subscribed to CraveTV in Canada and they have this and Black Sails from Starz. CraveTV doesn't have closed captioning yet for Samsung smart TVs so I'm hoping it's not one of those shows where people mumble lots or is too complicated.

10. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Great show.

Yes, it's a bit slow. But the atmosphere & characters developed are worth it.
    Yes, you have to pay attention. Dialog is clear, but there are lots of little details. I confess to often re-watching an episode & getting a detail or two that I missed the first time.

This past week's ep had a fantastic "big reveal" that I didn't see coming.

I honestly don't know how long this can/will go. But I would be fine with a short, one or two season run with quality writing.

11. It can't be very complicated as I'm a native Spanish (from Spain, in Europe) and I watch it in English with no subtitles.

12. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

It's one of my favorite new shows. I don't mind a slow moving show--especially compared to a mindless action program such as the new S.W.A.T.!

13. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

Just heard about this last week. Sounded interesting and has some decent actors (JK Simmons, Olivia Williams, Harry Styles, Ulrich Thomsen) in too. Found it to be excellent. Don't mind slow.

14. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

One more episode to go this season. I am assuming the attack had more than meets the eye as there has been quite a build up to it but so far it looks like all they did was shoot and kill random office people and didn’t accomplish much. More to be revealed on Sunday I expect.

15. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident Thread Starter

With only one episode left I feel the series dragged a bit. That said, Simmons is a treasure. The most captivating scenes are the ones where he's conversing with 'himself'!

16. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

I love JK Simmons in this, but I stopped watching several weeks ago. I just don't think the story's very well written.

17. chrischerm

chrischerm Forum Resident

Enjoy the show a lot. Best scene so far was when Howard & Howard Prime are taking to each other through the glass containment. JK is fantastic. :)

18. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

yeah I kind of agree, there good kind of slow (just call saul) and then there's ponderous 'is there anything else on?' slow...this is kind of in the middle. im still in tho. Simmons is very good, amazing how you don't even think about that theres just one of him

orphan black had a great first season, kind of fell apart after that

19. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Terrific new series. So good we don't even accumulate episodes on the dvr and then binge. Watch each week either live or within a day

20. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

Absolutely killer series for the viewer that isn't afraid to use his head once in a while ..... Slow ? Sure, the way a chess match is "slow" :rolleyes:

A cross between "Berlin Station" and "Fringe" and quite a bit of "Rubicon" vibe ......... excellent show IMO.

Is a second season in the cards ?

DLD likes this.
  21. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

The attack accomplished exactly what they wanted it to. Put a guy on the exact point that no one controls. Neutral territory (the point where the two worlds meet). Diplomatically speaking, now both sides have to have dialog. The only way to get a guy on that neutral point was to shoot their way to it.

22. jv66

jv66 Estimated Dead Prophet

I absolutely love this show. It's like a continuation of cold war spy thrillers. The performances are very good, the set design is great, and the script is tight. Nothing wrong with the pacing in my opinion...

gregr likes this.
  23. noname74

Where in the preceding 9 shows has there been any desire from all the other sides spies to have a dialog? The other sides Rebels that were part of the plot to attack them believes the "normal" side were the reason for the flu that killed millions of them...this attack wasn't to simply to start talking to the other side. It had been built up that they want to punish or get back the normal side...not to have diplomatic relations.

Scott222C likes this.
  24. noname74

Me either. It's a slow burn kind of show and it works well.

25. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

With someone laying on the neutral zone, nothing can happen. They are punishing the "normal" side by making it impossible for them to use the portal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.