Country music has sure changed from 1985 to now - Billboard country album charts from Nov. 1985, now

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BradOlson, May 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

I like your quote better than Willie's, but they both fit.:)

2. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Country music has definitely changed since 1985. Today's country recalls mid 90s alternative rock and rap.

3. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

It is true that if one is wondering how times change, just look at any music chart, any genre, and you will witness it.

4. BradOlson

Also, today's country constantly name checks, Hank Sr., Hank, Jr., Waylon, Johnny, Willie, etc. in the lyrics while admitting that it is more a rock influenced track.

5. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Today's so called country music should really be renamed as a different genre as it has no relation to what country music really was.

Kkfan and woosh1956 like this.
  6. BradOlson

One might as well call Amy Grant's Unguarded album, from 1985, modern country in style style, the same with Michael W. Smith's "Project" album from 1983, as that is basically what modern country sounds like.

7. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

Today's "Country Music" sound like it was conceived by the same corporate entertainment industry types in New York or LA who are also responsible for pumping out the mind-numbingly boring, third rate songs that pass for pop music. It becomes "Country Music" by throwing in a gratuitous reference to Johnny Cash, a pickup truck or workin' for a livin'. Add to that clone-like production with identical drum tracks and the same annoying, wall-to-wall air-raid-siren-like backing vocals. It's as if there's one assembly line churning out crap that consumers are guaranteed to buy, with some of it randomly getting a "Country" label slapped on it as it rolls out the door.

superdave69, woosh1956, Kkfan and 2 others like this.
  8. BradOlson

That is because the Nashville industry works with the New York and LA parts of the industry all the time, SixtiesGuy in hopes that "country" becomes the most popular kind of music out there.

9. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

Today's country is the new pop, really.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  10. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Accurate post for sure.
    Singing to the choir is the word trying to make consumer feel like they can relate to their "pain" while laughing all the way to the bank.
    Lot of preachers fall under the same moniker.

woosh1956 likes this.
  11. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Garth Brooks supposedly was a Kiss fan. I believe him to be the genre breaker in country music. You could also include the likes of Travis Tritt, Brooks and Dunn, The Dixie Chicks and Tim McGraw to that group. Toby Keith would ride big in the late 90's. Just my opinion of course.........

12. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

You could call it that in style ''i wouldn't'' , but not in content, both Amy Grant and Michael W. Smith made intelligent music.:)

The Dixie Chicks don't deserve to be lumped in with that group in my opinion.

13. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I believe them to be a huge ground breaker in country music in the 90's. They seemed to have a bunch of cross-over fans. If you wanted to call The Judds a group. They could be there. I don't know of any that were bigger in country. That is why I included them. I certainly understand the likes of Shania Twain, Trisha Yearwood, Allison Krauss Martina, Mary Chapin-Carpenter, Faith Hill etc. But, I am speaking group and they were big sellers.

14. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

"...what they call country today, which is basically a bad rock band with a fiddle."
    -Tom Petty

Kkfan likes this.
  15. woosh1956

woosh1956 Forum Resident

This topic is really a sore spot with me, as I began listening to Country radio in the mid-'60s because of my interest in Johnny Cash. I was nine years old at the time. Picked up on Buck Owens through the radio (he was played on the local pop stations too, as was Cash) and saw Hank Snow in person. From there it developed into a full-blown love affair with the music. A love affair that began to slack off in the late '80s and die out altogether after the advent of Garth, et al. To put it bluntly, I find the current form of the music non-existent and I can't stand to listen to more than a few minutes of what a so-called current country station plays. I hear no variety in the arrangements, and worst of all, every singer seems to sound the same! In the old days, there was no mistaking Ernest Tubb for Buck Owens!

I do have a great respect for Brad and what he contributes to the Forum. And I rather envy that he can find something to appreciate in what he hears on country radio these days. For me, it's just warmed-over Eagles music.

on7green, clhboa and Kkfan like this.
  16. murphywmm

murphywmm Senior Member

I've never understood why Taylor Swift gets lumped in with the country crowd. Her music is just your garden variety radio pop. While she may throw in the occasional country tune on her albums from time to time, it still doesn't make her a country artist.

Kkfan likes this.
  17. BradOlson

Big Machine Records is a label that targets the current country market and they signed her as a "country" artist.

18. jgreen

jgreen Well-Known Member

If there was any doubt Shania Twain killed country music.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  19. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Yeah, that's right. I remember he sang the title track to "Every Which Way but Loose" in the late 70s, which to me sounded like what country generally sounded like in the 70s and into the 80s. Then when "Suspicions" came out, I thought it was Hall & Oates or The Little River Band at first. But it was a great song.

superdave69 likes this.
  20. BradOlson

I agree. Eddie was a great talent who is still missed.

superdave69 likes this.
  21. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

22. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

My opinion is that The Dixie Chicks, The Judds, Alison Krauss and May Chapin- Carpenter managed to be hugely popular while still keeping the country in country, i have a different opinion of the others.

23. JohnB

JohnB Senior Member

George has a new album coming out in just over a week and it's a pretty safe bet he'll be back near or at the top of the country charts with that.

24. MiracleAndWonder

MiracleAndWonder Well-Known Member

That's what I find funny. People used to trash Shania and Kenny and others for making pop-friendly music... but at least there was still SOME country there... Taylor in 2013 is no more country than Rihanna is.

Grant likes this.
  25. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

What to think of 80's country...

For the majority of the decade there was a ton of sugar coated country. In fact, that country-pop is more country than today's country-pop... With that said, it was nice to have the neotraditionalist movement by the end of the 80's. I much prefer Dwight Yoakam, Alan Jackson, George Strait, and Clint Black to ... Alabama.

Kkfan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.