Country singer Joe Sun, RIP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BradOlson, Oct 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

2. BradOlson

He was definitely one of the great honky tonkers in country music at a time when Urban Cowboy was the big hit and will be missed. He had several hits on Ovation and Elektra Records in the late 1970s-early 1980s.

melstapler and RSteven like this.
  3. Mike24137

Mike24137 Mike

He was great. I am so sorry to hear about his passing. I have always wished more of his work was on CD.

melstapler and RSteven like this.
  4. BradOlson

So do I. He was a promotion man for Ovation Records as well and his promotions helped the Kendalls become the great success they became.

RSteven and Mike24137 like this.
  5. BradOlson

@McLover knows how influential he was in country music at the time.

6. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

I used to have a Joe Sun album that i would listen to continuously. Over and over again. the one that had the song Old Flames Cant Hold a Candle to You. What a great song by a great talent.
    RIP great singer.

RSteven and McLover like this.
  7. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Joe Sun's breakthrough hit was of course Old Flames Can't Hold A Candle To You, which was co-written by Pebe Sebert, the mother of pop singer Kesha, who also has re-cut her mom's famous song several times. Dolly Parton had a number one hit remake as well and as much as I love her take on the song, I have always preferred Joe's original hit version.

[​IMG]
    3:24NOW PLAYING

musicaner likes this.
  8. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

Are you kidding? Nobody could sing that song like Joe Sun. Johnny Cash promoted him and sang the song too.

BradOlson and RSteven like this.
  9. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Brad, this is very sad news. Another country legend overlooked by the very industry which once embraced him. Joe was about 10 years older than I realized, but has left behind an enjoyable body of work. His "Out On The Road" disc is an enjoyable album and there are a few other CDs which were available on and off from select music retailers and directly from Joe's website over the yeaers. Going to check his site right now to see what is still available for purchase. RIP Joe

BradOlson and Mike24137 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.