Court TV - Depp vs. Heard defamation trial

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pussycat, Apr 14, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I stand by this, too, but unfortunately it's rather telling that in the USA we have more prisons than universities, more prisoners than any other nation, surpassing communists counties, with much larger populations, and more black people in jail than there were slaves in the 1840s-1860s.

That said, it sucks, because I'm going to have to slap my soon-to-be ex-wife with a defamation suit, including perjury, as I shed myself of all of the nice things that I want to do, lest I be her doormat. She brought our teenage children into the middle of our adult affairs and has been lying to our babies at every turn.

I know it all boils down to self-preservation. We turn into beasts when we cannot, or will not, face our own inner struggles, and it becomes worse when we project on others.

I'm so ****ing tired of enmity and strife.

Ghostworld likes this.
  2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

There’s another thread on this forum about advice your father gave you. I think I remembered a second piece of advice my father (The first being: “it’s gonna be hard to find a job in the arts.”) gave me when I was going through relationship woes and which is been the most useful to me throughout my life: “F- her.”

SandAndGlass likes this.
  3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Another good piece of advice comes from Rick Ross —“I got 99 problems but a bit*ch ain’t one.”

Speedmaster likes this.
  4. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I believe in Bangkok, they have a 3-day rule! :pleased:

5. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I just think they were two toxic people for each other. With other partners they would have been fine most likely.

This was a bad mix. The quicker it's settled the better.

The rub will be in two years time...they re-marry!

6. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I am not an expert on court proceedings, particularly US court proceedings and as trials in the UK are not filmed, I find it fascinating watching this trial.

For example, it was really interesting seeing Amber Heard's team trying to have the case dismissed just now and Johnny Depp's teams arguments against it. The motion was denied but it was also interesting to hear the judge's rationale for denying it.

longdist01 likes this.
  7. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

I haven’t been following the trial closely, but there are many procedural requirements that must be followed in order to preserve later procedural options. Much of it is BS CYA stuff. Presumably these are explained by the commentators, though I recall Court TV commentators being much better back in its early days.

Bink likes this.
  8. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

FTFY

Lars Medley and whaaat like this.
  9. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I am seeing some amusing social media posts today following Amber Heard's first day of testifying.

I am particularly interested that some people have picked up on the fact that she lifted some lines directly from films! For example she said:

The thing with Johnny...the light shines on you and it's glorious. And then he forgets you and it's very very cold.

This is a piece of dialogue from the movie The Talented Mr Ripley:

The thing with Dickie....the sun shines on you and it's glorious. And then he forgets you and it's very very cold.

Will have to keep out for some other movie quotes!

trumpet sounds and groundharp like this.
  10. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

Maybe i'm dumb...but she looked and sounded very credible to me on the stand yesterday, and i've been on Johnny's side until now.

11. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I don't think that makes you dumb. She certainly seemed to be very engaging and relatable. However what struck me was that she seemed to be using quite overly dramatic language and gestures and although she appeared to be crying there were no actual tears. It seemed quite scripted!

That said, I am trying to be as even handed in my mind when weighing up the evidence.

I guess we might get a better sense of her as a witness during cross examination, which if I understand correctly won't happen for a while as the court won't be sitting next week.

Jackson likes this.
  12. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

It’s not unusual in civil cases for the defense to ask for a dismissal once the plaintiff has presented his or her entire case. There may have been previous motions to dismiss but it’s almost standard for the defense to argue for dismissal at this stage just before they present a defense.

Lars Medley, misterjones and Bink like this.
  13. leemelone

leemelone Forum Resident

The problem with domestic dispute cases is that both parties usually believe their perception of what happened. There's three sides to every story. Yours, mine and the truth.

Jackson likes this.
  14. Djmover

Djmover Forum Resident

I thought Amber Heard was credible on the stand today and sounds believable to me .

Yes I know she is an actor but so is Johnny Depp .

I find Depp’s fans to be totally moronic, just because Depp signs your autograph and waves to you does not mean you know him or know what it is like to live with him in a relationship .

I think we should all keep an open mind especially when you take into account Depp lost the UK case against a British newspaper .

Another thing how Depp’s family , managers , friends and lawyers did not manage to persuade him to not do this is unbelievable to me .
    Depp’s reputation is now totally shredded and if he thought he lost work because of the original opinion piece by Heard wait till this is over .
    He won’t even have the Hollywood Vampires to fall back onto and that is a good thing for all of us .

Lars Medley likes this.
  15. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Correct, and possibly even required if the defense later wants to move for what’s referred to as a JNOV (translation - judgement notwithstanding the verdict). As I indicated earlier, a lot of procedural aspects of a trial - especially evidentiary objections - are necessary to preserve later procedural options and appellate issues. A good legal team will have at least one person whose job it is to keep an eye out for and track such matters. (Much of this we are not privy to because they are the subject of sidebars.). Perhaps more important is ensuring you aren’t later accused of legal malpractice.

16. Lord Rocker

Lord Rocker Forum Resident

I don't know about his reputation being shredded with so many willing to defend his reputation on oath. I think most people watching this can see that it was a toxic relationship and both sides were abusive. Bearing this in mind I don't really see how he can win this case.

Lars Medley likes this.
  17. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Never play poker with someone named 'Tex'
    Never eat at a place called 'Mom's'
    and never get into bed with a woman with more problems than you have.

I believe this is attributed to Nelson Algren

18. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

ah, misogyny.

Lord Rocker likes this.
  19. Lord Rocker

Lord Rocker Forum Resident

Yeah it's rife

20. Speedmaster

Speedmaster We’re all walking through this darkness on our own

Let’s say you have $100 in the bank and I say to you give me 50 or else I start hanging your dirty laundy out in public. What would you do?

He said f- that, you aint getting a dime from me. Principles are a drag, man.

21. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

Sorry, Johnny was stupid enough to marry her the first time, but he's not stupid enough to make that same mistake twice!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

LOL we'll see. When I see stuff like this I think, "hmmm whose being manipulated here?"

Lars Medley likes this.
  23. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

Always a pleasure to read such perceptive comments.

unclefred and bubba-ho-tep like this.
  24. Djmover

Djmover Forum Resident

From what I heard , Johnny Depp wanted these proceedings televised and in fact insisted on it .

If that is wrong I am happy to withdraw that .

But regardless it is incredibly damaging and if what I said is true why on earth would he do that considering he must have known Amber Heard’s testimony would be devastating.

Am not making a judgement it’s true but certainly a fair portion is likely to be and she was far more convincing than Depp on the stand who mumbled and stumbled his way through his testimony which would have been excruciating for the jury .

Lars Medley likes this.
  25. Old Fart At Play

Old Fart At Play He won't eat it, he hates everything

According to Snopes, this isn’t true. The lines are from the movie, but she never said them.

Lars Medley and trumpet sounds like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.