Cover of a song released before the original

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mattdm11, Apr 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Lol. No

attfiecz likes this.
  2. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

Drifter likes this.
  3. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Fairport Convention did several of those: Both Sides Now, Chelsea Morning, I Don't Know Where I Stand, Eastern Rain.

Dylan is in the same category with having floated demos around during the same period that he hadn't released or in some cases (Basement Tapes songs) even properly recorded. (Fairport recorded a few of those, too.)

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  4. WHMusical

WHMusical Chameleon Comedian Corinthian & Caricature

D'Eastern Raiin Is my favorite. Zen Eye Dont Know Where You Stand?

5. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

6. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

They recorded a proper studio single in '67, but this is better.

Fotheringay did an inspired version of this arrangement, too, in 1970. Still five years before even the common Basement Tapes arrangement was released (much less Dylan's version of this arrangement, unheard by most of us commoners till 2014).

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  7. Lord Philcore

Lord Philcore Forum Resident

„Ain‘t it fun“ was written and performed live by Rocket from the Tombs before they split in 1975.

The song was then first recorded and released by the Dead Boys in 1978 (who included former members of RFTT).

In 1993 Guns N‘ Roses released a cover version of Ain’t it fun as a single and even charted.

In 2003 RFTT reunited and recorded Ain‘t it fun for the first time in the studio for their 2004 reunion album.

Scott the Zip and DTK like this.
  8. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

9. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

FWIW, Wikipedia says The Miracles recorded it first, Marvin Gaye second.

Mylene likes this.
  10. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

11. attfiecz

attfiecz Forum Resident

Some might consider this a technicality, but (The) Arnold Corns released Moonage Daydream and Hang Onto Yourself a year before Bowie did.

12. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

13. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

14. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

15. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

16. Babysquid

Babysquid Forum Resident

This is where things get confusing. David wrote the song for Mott and they recorded it originally so it can’t really be called a cover as there was no pre existing version. David records his own version later but it can’t really be called a cover because it’s his own song and even though it’s a David Bowie original composition this version can’t really be called the original because there was already a version in existence previously. Ok David might have made a demo but if we allow that as the original then we open another can of worms regarding demos vs official releases!

17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, we've discussed this issue through the thread with songs that the writer gave away and then released on his/her own.

I'm of the camp that examples like "Dudes" aren't covers when done by the artist the writer gave the song to play.

And an artist can't cover him/herself!

18. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

19. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

20. Scott the Zip

Scott the Zip Forum Resident

Not sure if this counts....

"Little Honda" is a song written by Brian Wilson and Mike Love for the American rock band the Beach Boys. It was released on their 1964 album All Summer Long, and featured on their EP, Four by The Beach Boys. The song pays tribute to the small Honda motorcycle and its ease of operation, specifically the Honda 50.

Immediately following its appearance on All Summer Long, the song was covered by The Hondells, whose recording produced by Gary Usher peaked at #9 on the U.S. Billboard 100. Capitol Records then later released it as a single for the Beach Boys, and their version peaked at #65 on the U.S. Billboard 100.

Little Honda - Wikipedia

21. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

22. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

I believe it is - what differences do you hear?

23. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

I deleted my post after listening more closely and slowing down the Shirelles version in one of my music editing programs. The pitch difference was throwing me off and the mix is slightly different too.

So was the Shirelles recording sped up or was the Maxine one slowed down, I wonder? The Shirelles version is in the key of A major and the Maxine Brown version is in A flat.

john hp likes this.
  24. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

I don't know, but as the Shirelles version was recorded first I would guess that the speed was adjusted for Maxine's version.

Drifter likes this.
  25. Cryptical17

Cryptical17 Forum Resident

Johnny Winter released the Jagger/Richards song “Silver Train” on his album “Alive and Well,” prior to the Stones version on “Goats Head Soup.” Johnny Winter recorded his version based on an acetate from the Sticky Fingers sessions in October 1970.

In the music industry, artists frequently recorded their own version based on acetates that happened to come their way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.