Cover of a song released before the original

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mattdm11, Apr 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cryptical17

Cryptical17 Forum Resident

The Hassles (Billy Joel’s early band) had their version of Traffic’s “Colored Rain” on their album prior to the song appearing on “Mr. Fantasy.” Both bands were on the same record label in 1967 (United Artists) and somehow the Hassles heard Traffic’s unreleased acetate (thru UA).

2. Old Fart At Play

Old Fart At Play He won't eat it, he hates everything

I believe The Band's version of "When I Paint My Masterpiece" was released before Dylan's version.

3. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

'Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey!' Released by Johnny Otis in September, 1956 ("going back to Kansas City")

Johnny Otis And Orchestra - Let The Sunshine In My Life

Little Richard's 9th May 1956 recording 'Hey-Hey-Hey-Hey'; first issued on the B-side of 'Good Golly Miss Molly', January, 1958 ("going back to Birmingham") (same session as 'Ready Teddy' and 'Rip It Up')
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkfMGdiVA8s&ab_channel=the45profthe45prof
    Little Richard - Good Golly, Miss Molly

Both Richard and Otis claimed the writer's credit.

Earlier on 29th November, 1955 Little Richard had recorded a version of 'Kansas City' combined with 'Hey-Hey-Hey-Hey'; first released in 1958/9 with overdubbed backing vocals on the LP "The Fabulous Little Richard" and then as a 1959 single (the version covered on "Beatles for Sale") credited to "Leiber & Stoller
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTHxT00O0X0&ab_channel=UlfGustafssonUlfGustafsson
    The Fabulous Little Richard - Wikipedia
    Little Richard - Kansas City

I'm not exactly sure what the story was here.

Cover versions of Hey Hey Hey Hey written by Little Richard | SecondHandSongs

4. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

5. simoncm

simoncm Forum Resident

California Dreamin' was originally recorded by Barry McGuire for his second LP, This Precious Time, with the Mamas and Papas providing backing vocals (as they did on six other tracks). Subsequently McGuire's lead vocal was deleted and replaced by Denny Doherty's, and the harmonica break replaced by an electric flute - giving us the classic M&P version!

Dondy likes this.
  6. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

"Trying To Get The Feeling Again"

The song was written for the Carpenters, who recorded the song in 1975 as a work lead but its production not completed and the work lead lost for a time. Barry Manilow released a version with re-written lyrics in 1976 and it was a hit. Later, the Carpenters work lead was found, production was completed, and it was released in 1994 on the album Interpretations.

*Dates confirmed via Wikipedia.

7. Fred1

Fred1 Stuck in the past with one eye to the future!

Dave Edmunds' reendition of Elvis Costello's "Girls Talk". Well done, Dave! ;):righton: Just perfect!

Dave Edmunds - Girls Talk

8. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

It's interesting how far off the mark this and the Ronettes versions are. Not terrible records by any means, but neither would have stood a chance of being a hit.

9. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

10. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

11. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

12. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

13. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

14. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

15. JaymesLyrie

JaymesLyrie Well-Known Member

Gladys Knight & The Pips performing 'I Heard It Through The Grapevine' on The Phil Donahue Show

16. Fred1

Fred1 Stuck in the past with one eye to the future!

Amen Corner - Hello Susie

One of the very cases where the cover is way better than the original. The original can be found on the Move's album "Shazam" from 1970. Amen Corner's version came out in 1969.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.