Cover versions we don’t need.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Action, May 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Victor Martell

Victor Martell Forum Resident

Trying to read thru the thread before adding - but well, alas the drive to reply is stronger...

My opinion - we don't need covers of any classic songs. Period. You can cover crappy songs, and if in the process you make them better, that's fine. OF COURSE what is a classic song that is untouchable? That is in the eye of the beholder. My untouchable classics might be other persons crappy song.

Example - I think "Always on my mind" - and I am not sure which one is the original, the Elvis version or Willie Nelson's - I think is a crappy crappy song - both versions are. Therefore when Pet Shop Boys covered it I wasn't bothered.

What is more, by turning it into a stomping dance song and adding the detachment that is the trademark of the PSB, they de-emphasized a lot of what made it crappy to my ears - the cover is kind of enjoyable.

I still hate the original(s) and the cover is great in trying to do something with that wretched thing.

However, no one should cover "Imagine", "Let it be", "Startway to heaven", "Superstition" and I could go on... your classics might vary, of course ! :D :D :D

v

Johnny Action likes this.
  2. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

I disagree. Everybody should experience that video. I saw it once -- then had to show it to other people, in that it was so monumentally horrifying. It had a profoundly negative impact upon my psyche.

I have feared, to this day, the prospect of my recollection of that video being my last cognitive moment on my addled, dementia-swamped, death bed. I mutter something cryptic to my daughter -- so she spends many weeks trying to decipher my "Rosebud" moment. She finally achieves forensic success -- watches the video -- pauses, stunned -- and mutters to herself: "that sick Son of a Bitch..."

This is the stuff that keeps me up at night. :wtf:

(Having said all that: I highly encourage anybody that hasn't seen the video to track it down. You will not be disappointed, one way or another...)

Dave Mac, painted8, carlwm and 3 others like this.
  3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Winger - Purple Haze.

4. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President Thread Starter

Agree it’s crap, but nice abs on the Anastasia lady...

5. Dr. Luther's Assistant

As soon as I saw your name, before I even glanced at the video window, I knew exactly what it was.

6. Dr. Luther's Assistant

You have a very positive approach. Admirable. Meanwhile, I have PTSD.

Johnny Action likes this.
  7. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Other than Little Willie John (and possibly Peggy Lee, due to the modified arrangement) nobody should cover Fever. Nobody. Not even Elvis.

Man at C&A likes this.
  8. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

It is a great cover. Snobbery is picking at it.

9. Sometimes we don’t get the covers we need but what we deserve.

painted8, PhoffiFozz and Jarleboy like this.
  10. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

They were probably selling way more records at the time than Harrison was. It is a fabulous cover.

Chilli likes this.
  11. As if the amount of records sold equates to the quality of an artist.

12. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I don’t remember hearing George on the radio at all in the 80s and 90s so yeah.

13. Anonamemouse

Anonamemouse my other pink shirt is black too

Where did you get that idea? :tiphat:

blutiga likes this.
  14. I do. Handle with Care, She’s My Baby, If That’s What It Takes, Got my mind On You, When We Was Fab, among others...

Once again radio play and sales don’t always equate quality. Now, it just so happens I like GNR’s version but to make that equation is hyperbole.

Jarleboy likes this.
  15. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

But think of the children! :yikes:

16. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

What country were you living in at the time? Kazakhstan?

17. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Motley Crue- Smokin' in the boys room...........
    I listened to Theatre of Pain tonight and skipped "Home sweet home" and "Smokin", though I actually like the former.
    Pretty good rock album that way.

The Crue routinely butcher covers with their disgraceful live version of "Rock n Roll". Helter Skelter though not too bad IMO was most certainly not needed.

Anonamemouse likes this.
  18. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

If not mentioned.......Metallica doing "Turn the Page"...

19. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

When I heard it, I cried inside.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  20. daveidmarx

Just to clarify, Tommy was 19 (i.e. an actual teenager) when I Think We're Alone Now came out.

thematinggame likes this.
  21. daveidmarx

Aw, I thought that was nice.

22. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I became aware of the existence of the song due to GN'R when I was 9. Use Your Illusion hadn't been released yet, but my brother (who was the one that informed me that it was actually a Dylan number) had a live recording of the band playing at (I believe) The Ritz and I loved the tune.
    Times change. I haven't listened to Guns N' Roses since 1993, but I can't deny their cover of "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" was part of my musical education.

Jarleboy and rebellovw like this.
  23. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

R.E.M's "First we Take Manhattan".

24. timind

timind phorum rezident

August And Everything After is one of my favorite albums from the 90s. It holds up well IMO. That said, I have always given most of the credit for that album to T Bone Burnett.

25. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

I won’t say “no one should ever cover a song by X artist...” but I have little to no interest in hearing someone else’s take on Kate Bush’s music.

I heard an indie rock cover of “Hounds Of Love” that made me think, I’d rather just be listening to the original.

Jarleboy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.