Cover versions we don’t need.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Action, May 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. They weren't a very talented band (although I'll give them Einstein On a Beach - their only truly great song, a non-album cut). A lot of marginal stuff slipped through in the mid-90s when grunge had petered out a but but labels were still searching for the next alterna-pop hit machine.

limoges likes this.
  2. DavidD

DavidD Forum Resident

Springsteen did a solid rendition on tour in 1984.

As did the Stones:

The Rolling Stones - Drift Away

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  3. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Buckley's version was in fact inspired by John Cale's version....

Echo, woodface, carlwm and 2 others like this.
  4. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Zep should of left "You shook me" alone IMO. Jeff Beck did it better IMO, even if it's not as good sonically as the Zep version.

Man at C&A and Hammerpeg like this.
  5. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Heino did some covers of rock bands including this one by Rammstein. Most acts were not amused (although Heino joined Rammstein on stage later.

6. MothMonsterMan

MothMonsterMan I am a moth who just wants to eat your flag

I would love for Jesus and Mary Chain to cover this. Because it would then produce a phenomenal Pixies cover of the J&MC cover.

7. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

Sarah McLachlan's completely pointless photocopy of "Blackbird," for example.

Dave Mac and DavidD like this.
  8. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

The Boo Radleys' version, on the other hand, was great:

fretbuzzed and DavidD like this.
  9. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Now you're covering James Brown.

10. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

"Behind Blue Eyes" - Limp Bizkit

First band member: "I know how to make our cover of this Who song amazing, let's get rid of the bridge section and replace it with a Texas Instruments Speak & Spell spelling out L-I-M-P over and over."

Second band member: "Yeah man, that's gold!"

o_O

11. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Cough...Hootie...cough...

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    Rosskolnikov likes this.
  12. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

So.

Drifter likes this.
  13. 1972matt

1972matt Forum Resident

Girls Aloud and Sugababes covering Aerosmith's "Walk this Way". How dare they?

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  14. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Any acustic guitar wielding, hush voiced, languid girl making acoustic and languid covers of metal, post punk, dance pop etc songs.
    Hideous

Go f..k yourselves, Nouvelle Vague

15. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

At karaoke bars, many wanna-be’s have suffered a miserable on-stage fate to this very song. As Clint Eastwood so aptly said, “a man’s got to know his limitations.”

MYQ1 likes this.
  16. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Pretty positive it was Sixpence None The Richer, and yeah, their version was very popular about 15 (20??) years ago. Sorry.

If it makes you feel better, Crowded House is so out-of-touch with today's popular music that no current Top 40 artist would DREAM (ahem) of covering it now.

17. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

No Doubt and Counting Crows. I don't mind the Crows one.... It was their last big hit, and when I spoke to Adam Duritz, he said they were simply big fans of Joni Mitchell and covered it for that reason. It was a hidden track on their Hard Candy album..... Not their fault that radio jumped on it. (They've also released pretty good covers of Gram Parsons, Faces, Pure Prairie League, Teenage Fanclub, and others... No muzak hits tho.)

Anyway. You know you're old when you're complaining about some young band covering an artist the current generation has forgotten about. You know you're REALLY old when the current generation has forgotten about the original artist AND the cover artist.

18. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

How could I forget Everclear's cover of The Boys are Back in Town?

19. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

The Bangles' version of "Hazy Shade Of Winter" is SO much better than S&G. Sorry, that's just science.

DiBosco, limoges, Yost and 8 others like this.
  20. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

I was 13 when this came out.... And I'd NEVER heard the original.
    Decades later I did. It's good too but the Tiffany version is fine. (Also makes more sense for an actual teenager to sing these lyrics over twentysomething Tommy James.)

Anyway. I can confirm that NO ONE my age or younger knows the Tommy James original, unless they've hunted for it. So for everyone 50 years old or younger, Tiffany is the definitive version now. Sorry, boomers.

21. Nah, I'll take the John Cale version that Buckley ripped off.

carlwm, Blank Frank and nsmith1002 like this.
  22. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Not sure how could listen to August & Everything After with actual ears and say that.
    And the ridiculousness of saying they were an attempt to capitalize on a "post grunge" landscape? August came out before In Utero. The album sounds like a mix of The Band and Van Morrison. They were completely out of step with the times and still became huge because the songs were just so good. (Einstein was a track from their original demo tape, when they still had some leftover 80s trappings. They gave it to their label for a compilation and radio played it as they were starved for new Crows material. It's still a good song but far from their best, probably why it's never played live.)

ANYWAY. [exhales] Big Yellow Taxi, agreed, isn't their finest hour. But they were always covering older songs by artists they liked. That one just happened to become a hit. Too bad their take on "Return of the Grevious Angel" didn't do the same... That one was great live.

23. ganma

ganma Senior Member

Kylie Minogue - Locomotion

24. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Lenny Kravitz - American Woman

What a total crime against humanity and my opinion of him couldn't get any lower than that. :realmad:

25. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

Maybe not as bad as the others, but overplayed by radio (and played out):

Alien Ant Farm- Smooth Criminal
    The Ataris- Boys Of Summer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.