Cover versions we don’t need.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Action, May 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President Thread Starter

If it makes you feel better the thesis being discussed in this thread is that some covers are unworthy of their originals, the age of either being totally irrelevant. Sorry.

And your self assured pronouncement about which artists are “so out of touch with today’s popular music” strikes me as a bit fatuous, given the well documented historical tendency of artists to reach back through the years and pay tribute to their predecessors (or just cash in) via homages and, yes, cover versions.

Oh, it was the Paul Young version that I heard and not the Sixpence one as you assumed, something you would have known had you read the rest of the comments before feeling compelled to chime in with your tangential inaccuracies. Just sayin’...

Lost In The Flood and carlwm like this.
  2. So they did. It was kind of a fun moment between them and their fans. I don't think it was all that artistically successful. In particular, the drummer simply wasn't good enough to do justice to that groove (which is a good one and pretty much defines the song).

3. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Do concert versions count? “Hey Jude” - The Grateful Dead.

pig bodine likes this.
  4. I didn't say THEY were but rather the labels were signing a lot of acts after grunge looking to fill the next niche. That sort of adult pop-rock thing that Counting Crows did was similar to several other signings at the time (and wouldn't have likely been signed 10 years before or 10 years after). Agree that they try to bring in a bit of a Van Morrison sound, but I don't hear The Band in them at all. As far as being good? We can agree to disagree. I found them to be one of the lest interesting options from that era, especially because of the vocal. Lyrics could be interesting - there were ideas there. Musically, I though the players in the band didn't bring enough to it. Just not all that interesting.

5. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Aerosmith "Come Together" (that is Aerosmith who covers that right?)

Even worse is Guns n Roses version of "Live and Let Die"

CDFanatic likes this.
  6. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

They were not especially brilliant on Sympathy For The Devil either.

painted8 and Man at C&A like this.
  7. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Wilson is not a good enough drummer? He's been a professional musician for what... 30 years? He must have some talent.

8. He most definitely does. Let's just say that he gets through that groove. He plays the part. Mostly. It required a subtler touch. Not like it hasn't been played in a non-loop scenario really well: Simon Phillips. Gregg Bissonette, and Shannon Forrest have certainly done it well. That's the standard.

9. Tingman

Tingman Forum Resident

As much as I like most of Bowie’s covers, his take on “Across the Universe” is virtually unlistenable to me. That John Lennon collaborated on it adds insult to injury,

Yost and Echo like this.
  10. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President Thread Starter

RUN-DMC’s cover of Walk This Way. Mostly brilliant IMHO.

11. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

I strongly disagree. You may have no use for it, and I respect that. I happen to love it. The original pretty much leaves me cold - this version breathes.

12. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

You'd hate seeing them live. They've been stretching KOHD to 15 minutes or longer. I actually like their version of the song but by the ten minute mark live, I was over it

13. Hatsune Miku's version of Poker Face by Lady Gaga? :nyah:

Produced by Farter Yang, in Engrish!

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  14. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

He isn't Jeff Porcaro. Almost no one is as good as Jeff Porcaro was.

Ed

Anonamemouse likes this.
  15. Malinky

Malinky Almost a Gentleman.

Posted this before, but it`s worth repeating.
    Gotta` love a bit of `KYLIE`, but someone should have sat her down and explained to her that John Lennon`s song `Help` was a desperate cry from someone who was suicidal.......and NOT an uptempo DISCO song that needed awful backing dancers. :yikes:

"C`MON BOY`S........Let`s Dance!"

16. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: From 01:34 - 01:47 there are a whole set of lyrics that are crucial to the song's narrative that you're probably not even aware of. THAT is science:

17. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: I disagree with that. This was the record that began Bacharach's long association with flugelhorns. It has nuance and subtlety. The 1983 hit sounds like a goofy novelty to my ears, with an entirely different melody for the refrain.

Bob J and geo50000 like this.
  18. John54

John54 Senior Member

That's a fine song, which is par for the course for R & B in 1964. I still like Naked Eyes' version, but I completely understand where you're coming from ...

ARK, Jarleboy and Nostaljack like this.
  19. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

Don't care if obody neeeds it, I don't give a squat. but I did it anyway

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  20. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

What the Mcf**k?

21. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

Except k. d. lang. Her version is glorious, imo.

22. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Behind Blue Eyes :realmad::realmad::realmad:

I once saw rock's biggest ever knobhead Fred Durst covering Led Zeppelin - Tangerine. It was putrid of course, but then halfway through Jimmy Page appeared for the guitar solo! I've never respected Page as much since...

23. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

10,000 Maniacs with that other singer doing Roxy Music’s More Than This.

Zzzzzzzzz......

24. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

Annie Lennox doing both
    Train In Vain and Whiter Shade Of Pale.

Adult Contemporary versions, which is ok, but they’re bland adult contemporary versions.
    She completely sucked the life out of them.

Just awful.
    The worst.

25. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

It was a huge hit for her, and Robertson probably made a fortune from the publishing, but I've always hated Joan Baez's version of "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" (along with everything else she ever recorded). Not only did she turn it from a sorrowful dirge into a show tune-like pop song, but Virgil Cain is a man, and she sings it in the first person...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.