Cranberries "To the Faithful Departed" - which mastering's best?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lucifer Sam, May 20, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucifer Sam

Lucifer Sam Forum Resident Thread Starter

In a nutshell: I got The Cranberries' "To the Faithful Departed" on CD. It's an early European "Made In Germany" 15-track pressing. I still think it's musically brilliant. But when I listen to this now, on better speakers (and not only speakers) than I had in 1990s, I find it sounding not so good. The sound lacks clarity - for example, in "War Child" there's an orchestra, in "Bosnia" there's a choir etc., but sometimes it "melts together" into one "mass" of sound. Even worse, some parts, i.e. fuzz-guitars or louder cymbals, sound somehow like digitally distorted. Or were they just flangered during post-production process?
    The CD itself seems to be original one rather than pirated one. It appears to have matrix numbers & all other run-off identifiers consistent with this particular issue. So was this recording just mixed like that, or is it only this particular pressing's mastering defect? Does a better sounding issue (or issues) exist?
    Thank you in advance for any information or suggestions.

2. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I have the 2002 Treasure Box which carries the same mastering (I think one worldwide exists for this title)
    Probably just the mix/mastering. Been awhile since i've listened to it.
    Levels for mine-
    Analyzed: Cranberries, The / To the Faithful Departed
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR7 0.00 dB -8.93 dB 5:08 01-Hollywood
    DR7 0.00 dB -8.60 dB 2:24 02-Salvation
    DR9 0.00 dB -10.40 dB 4:57 03-When You're Gone
    DR7 0.00 dB -8.78 dB 4:25 04-Free To Decide
    DR9 -0.21 dB -13.16 dB 3:50 05-War Child
    DR6 0.00 dB -8.51 dB 4:10 06-Forever Yellow Skies
    DR7 0.00 dB -10.16 dB 3:20 07-The Rebels
    DR11 -0.47 dB -14.52 dB 2:02 08-Intermission
    DR5 0.00 dB -8.01 dB 2:41 09-I Just Shot John Lennon
    DR7 0.00 dB -10.17 dB 4:51 10-Electric Blue
    DR8 0.00 dB -9.61 dB 4:49 11-I'm Still Remembering
    DR10 0.00 dB -11.88 dB 2:49 12-Will You Remember?
    DR8 0.00 dB -10.31 dB 3:22 13-Joe
    DR7 0.00 dB -10.84 dB 5:40 14-Bosnia
    DR8 0.00 dB -9.81 dB 3:41 15-Cordell
    DR8 0.00 dB -11.09 dB 2:29 16-The Picture I View
    DR10 0.00 dB -12.92 dB 4:14 17-Ave Maria

3. Lucifer Sam

You may be right! Because what I find now is, according to Discogs, there were no remastered Cranberries' albums on CDs so far, just reissued and extended. Well I know Discogs ain't always credible, but I doubt all users could overlook the remasters of rather popular band.
    Besides, I have cheched my copy with True Audio's Tau Analyzer and it says unambiguously "CDDA". So even if it was pirated (although there are no odds that it would - AFIK pirats never did copy run-off information, including matrix numbers!), it wouldn't be MPEG, but WAV-sourced, so the sound couldn't differ from original issue. So yes, it seems I have the original one and it just sounds like that.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  4. Lucifer Sam

Well I made it to clear things up somehow. 'Cause I had an opportunity to compare "Complete Sessions" with my old pressing of this album (and two previous ones).
    When it comes to basic material, excluding bonus tracks, the "old" and "new" pressings are diitally identical, except small differences like longer/shorter gap between tracks etc. The doubts are with "Cordell" (which on my old German pressing goes before "Bosnia"). This track can be different mastering, however I'm not shure. I have compared it using EAC's "compare WAV-files" function, but this program isn't faultless. Because if one track has more silence on the beginning than the other, or mastering engineer left fraction-of-second longer tape hiss at the start, the program "gets confused" with a sample-drift and says "different samples" throughout the entire track.
    BTW: would someone recommend, please, a more "intelligent" WAV-compare tool?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.