Crazy Priced Albums on eBay - All From Same Seller

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by TheVillageRecorder, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Banning a seller means very little if ebay does not have the fortitude to ensure they ban them again when they start listing under another name.

Do you guys have any opinion on the many sealed Classic Records albums that are posted for sale? Seems that even after they sell, new copies go up to replace them. It's not like we are talking records from 50+ years ago, so there is probably a good stash of these albums out there that are still sealed. But it makes me wonder. People certainly do pay a premium for them and so the temptation must be there (if you are a low life scammer).

2. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

Some fun stuff. I'd seen this guys auctions before but never dug too deep. It's clear he's still running scams. The London records white oval promo sticker on his current Let It Be auction would be kinda cute if it wasn't fraud.

Mr. LP Collector and Dave like this.
  3. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 Crome Yellow

Is it possible to block an eBay seller from your saved searches, suggestions, etc?

All Down The Line likes this.
  4. ispace

ispace Forum Resident

I suspect that this "company" lists items on eBay that they find for sale elsewhere at a huge markup, then when you buy it on eBay, they place the order & they either drop ship to you or they get it shipped to them first.

I noticed a rare CD pop up from them on eBay; the only copy on eBay. I was curious, so I Googled & found exactly one copy on Amazon from an unrelated seller for almost half the price! So I ordered it from Amazon, and will watch closely to see if the eBay listing disappears. Even if it doesn't, it attracts collectors who may browse their other eBay listings & they can simply cancel orders they can't fulfil. Which explains they receive so many negative feedbacks after cancelling orders on eBay.

I'm not sure what this type of speculative selling is called, but I know there is at least one large scale Dutch seller on Discogs that does this. Except in this case, they copy listings from Discogs itself!!

ODShowtime likes this.
  5. ispace

ispace Forum Resident

And yes the eBay auction has finished, as I expected. So I’m pretty sure Zuber are speculatively listing other people’s products with a large markup. Has anyone else seen evidence of this?

6. Sane Man

Sane Man Forum Resident

Cool. Time to follow Zuber so I can know something rare I want is available elsewhere :p

7. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I recently bought a couple Japanese Mini LP's from "discsjapan" on Ebay.

It took a week to ship, as it became clear they didn't carry stock, but were simply ordering things from another source to fill their orders. Bit disappointed I had to wait so long, and a good to know.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  8. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

I see he is back now

TheVillageRecorder likes this.
  9. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

kind of crazy ....that he popped up again , so quickly

10. Led9

Led9 Forum Resident

Which seller is back?

Dave and TheVillageRecorder like this.
  11. radickeyfan

the one in the 1st post

12. radickeyfan

13. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 Crome Yellow

14. TheVillageRecorder

TheVillageRecorder Forum Resident Thread Starter

Mugrug12 likes this.
  15. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 Crome Yellow

Am I correct also that the orange circle promo sticker would be on the sleeve itself without shrink?

16. TheVillageRecorder

Yes.

17. eddiel

eddiel Forum Resident

Yeah pretty sure it's the same guy. Looks like he took the shrink from a Zep II (I've seen ones with the WLL sticker and song listing sticker) and then put it over a promo copy. can't really tell from the photo if that promo sticker is on the shrink or sleeve though. If on the shrink then it's def a fake. If on the sleeve, still a fake since they were never released with that shrink (or any shrink that I'm aware of).

Buyers really need to make sure they know what they are buying. Even if I didn't know of this guy, the whole auction would look suspect to me because of what I know regarding Zep II stock copies and WLPs.

Mind you the current price is not outrageous considering the collectable nature of II RLs and WLPs. But with two days to go, I'm sure it'll go up.

TheVillageRecorder and Mugrug12 like this.
  18. McLover

McLover Forum Resident

A note: That promo sticker was used on early Reprise Promo copies pre Warner Brothers buyout. That sticker looked very familiar to me.

Blackie likes this.
  19. radickeyfan

i feel really bad for his buyers ...

ispace likes this.
  20. ispace

ispace Forum Resident

It actually ruins the market for everyone, because the fraudulent products are integrated into innocent collectors’ holdings in the same way that dirty money is laundered by criminals. So how do you verify the authenticity of these products in future?

21. TheVillageRecorder

And then it gives sellers a false value of something they may be trying to sell that's shrink wrapped.

22. ispace

ispace Forum Resident

He got $3,227 for this fraudulent LP. I reported it to eBay but it’s far too esoteric for them to understand the nature of the fraud, much less be able to verify it. The guy has found the perfect fraud.

23. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

In summary - they don't care. Commission earned.

24. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 Crome Yellow

You've missed one more perfect aspect to the fraud, the nuttiest one! :
    there's a good chance The buyer doesn't care either! Some people want stuff like this for a status item. And since there's no returns he might not even care if the stickers are fake and the shrink is fake etc. he's paid his 3k for a wlp RL led zep2 and now he's got the grail! He maybe can't be bothered with some
    "Haters" pointing out he's been scammed for thousands. Oh life!

25. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Perhaps the buyer was a millenial and only wanted the "experience" of buying a rare album?

:D