Cream - Goodbye Tour Box

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tuck1977, Nov 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RockDude4492

RockDude4492 Forum Resident

These shows have been circulating in excellent quality for a few years now, though I'm sure this will be a significant upgrade (at the very least taken from the master vs. a copy tape). Based on those, I think the playing on these shows compares well with '67/early '68, though we have a different setlist, and, IMO more notably, we have a significant change in gear for Clapton. On the live recordings from '67/early '68, he was mostly using the famous "Fool" SG with full-size humbuckers, whereas on these recordings (bar RAH late show where he is using a 335) he is most often using a Firebird I, which has a significantly different tone to the other Gibson guitars he used previously. The brighter tone seems to give Clapton's tone a bit more definition. However, the output of a Firebird pickup (which is a unique mini-humbucker) is not as great as on his previous guitars, which could be problematic in a band like Cream where volume is everything, but I think the end result is the guitar blending more with the band rather than overpowering it. Ultimately combined with his state-of-mind at the time, this lends itself to a very different vibe from the earlier shows. As others have mentioned though, this is Cream we are talking about and even at their most under-rehearsed they sound like the masters of their instrument that they are.

Behold Clapton and his Firebird:
    [​IMG]

And just for good measure, I'd like to repeat how gosh darn excited I am for this set. It's very odd how long it's taken for a set like this to arrive given Cream's reputation as a live act but better late than never!

2. nortoni

nortoni Surfer Joe

Look at what currently exists. If it was 8 track, wouldn’t there be a Live Vol. 3, 45 years ago?

3. Jerry c.

Jerry c. Forum Resident

Clapton was using a les Paul standard also for these shows

4. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

But...but... haven't we been told that cds are dying out? There was a massive thread here not long ago about cds being gone by 2020. This is great news.

5. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

Amazon US has the pre-order up for the disc set. $70 to start, but I imagine that will drop before it’s released.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. RockDude4492

RockDude4492 Forum Resident

True, but I believe that it was mostly relegated to the encore (“Spoonful”). I could be wrong, I wasn’t there (as much as I wish I had been) but I remember reading that on one of the many guitar forums out there.

7. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Ooh, i like that photo, not seen it before.

8. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

I’m So Glad
    I’m So Glad
    I’m Glad
    I’m Glad
    I’m Glad

9. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I’m surprised at the release date. February? What not before Christmas?

10. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

It is pretty strange.
    These recordings are from 68 so the copyright issue is already over.

supermd and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. Could not find Amazon link so went with Bull Moose. :righton:

Strummergas likes this.
  12. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Maybe they were holding on to this until Jack or Eric passed away. A last gift.

13. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

Speaking of which, some of these songs were released on Goodbye and Live Cream Vol2 and other places so there should also be a separate release of the surviving March 68 Winterland/Fillmore tapes available in one place as well and include the Sunshine of Your Love, We're Going Wrong, alternate NSU and Toad etc.

14. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

This guitar ?

[​IMG]

15. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

Here are the 'Goodbye' tour dates. No idea which were recorded professionally other than the aforementioned shows upthread. There are a number of audience recordings of average to poor quality worth tracking down if ya dig that sort of thing.

Oct. 4 - 'Alameda County Coliseum Arena' Oakland, California (with It's A Beautiful Day)
    Oct. 5 - 'University of New Mexico' Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Oct. 11 - 'New Haven Arena' New Haven, Connecticut
    Oct. 12 - 'Olympia Arena' Detroit, Michigan (with Friend and Lover, Siegel-Schwall Blues Band)
    Oct. 13 - 'Coliseum' Chicago, Illinois
    Oct. 14 - 'Veterans Memorial Auditorium' Des Moines, Iowa
    Oct. 18 - 'The Forum' Inglewood, California (with Deep Purple)
    Oct. 19 - 'The Forum' Inglewood, California (with Deep Purple)
    Oct. 20 - 'Sports Arena' San Diego, California (with Deep Purple)
    Oct. 24 - 'Sam Houston Coliseum' Houston, Texas
    Oct. 25 - 'Dallas Memorial Auditorium' Dallas, Texas (with the Vanilla Fudge)
    Oct. 26 - 'Miami Stadium' Miami, Florida
    Oct. 27 - 'Chastain Park Amphitheatre' Atlanta, Georgia (2 shows with Terry Reid)
    Oct. 31 - 'Boston Garden' Boston, Massachusetts

Nov. 1 - 'The Spectrum' Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    Nov. 2 - 'Madison Square Garden' New York, New York (with the Buddy Miles Express and Terry Reid)
    Nov. 3 - 'Civic Center Arena' Baltimore, Maryland (with the Moody Blues and Terry Reid)
    Nov. 4 - 'Rhode Island Auditorium' Providence, Rhode Island (2 shows) (the 2nd show was cut short due to time restrictions)
    Nov. 26 - 'Royal Albert Hall' London, England (2 shows with Taste and Yes)

16. Dovetail7

Dovetail7 Pragmatic Purist

Should insure it sounds better than last ABB set (where his name was WAY down near the bottom of credits list---did he bail early!?)

17. Dovetail7

Dovetail7 Pragmatic Purist

Did not want to compete with Hendrix, Floyd, Doors, Stones and Beatles??!?!?!

18. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

That’s a possibility as well:)

19. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

Supposedly the only show professionally recorded not on the forthcoming box is the 10/18 Forum show. Ironically, Deep Purple set's that night survives on video, It also looks like Passing the Time was dropped after the Oakland show and Deserted Cities after the New Mexico show.

20. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

RAH is mono on this set?

21. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Yes.

22. Mullin

Mullin Forum Resident

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  23. Mullin

Mullin Forum Resident

According to Marc Roberty's Book: "The concert is recorded but NOTHING from the first night at the LA Forum is released"

Hep Alien and All Down The Line like this.
  24. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Amazon US link is up now.

Shvartze Shabbos and hiterss like this.
  25. hiterss

hiterss Forum Resident

Except for the Spoonful on life in 12 bars, love that performance

Mullin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.