Cream - Goodbye Tour Box

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tuck1977, Nov 29, 2019.

1. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

2. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

This baby finally arrived after 6 1/2 weeks of postal limbo, free of charge since Amazon.uk pushed a refund on me when they thought it was lost. It'd better be worth the £0.00 ($0.00 after conversion) I spent on it. ;)

Gavaxeman likes this.
  3. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

For one reason, at least to me, is that the RAH show is not nearly the quality of sound as the studio tracks. The RAH show sounds like a decent bootleg, not a legit release...IMO.

4. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

Even the Oakland Crossroads is worth that little.

laf848, hoggydoggy and pablorkcz like this.
  5. kuad

kuad Forum Resident

Does anyone know if the Japan SMH has better sound quality?

6. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Listening to the first disc now. The sound is certainly shooting below par (really good). I'm feeling Ginger on "Passing The Time."

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  7. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

It took forever but mine arrived safely recently and I have been playing through it. My gut feeling is that the best performances were already released and while this is a nice collector addition to my pretty large Clapton and related artist collection I would not categorise it as 10/10 essential.

Terry and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. Invader Zim

Invader Zim A Progressive Blues Experiment

10 out of 10 in my book. I haven't enjoyed a box set this much in a long time.

9. fairies

fairies Forum Resident

Have the Japan box but better sound ?? dont now

10. kuad

kuad Forum Resident

Just wanted to know if the Japan SMH is worth the extra cash.

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Only if you care about stuff like OBIs.

12. kuad

kuad Forum Resident

:D

Thank you

13. kuad

kuad Forum Resident

The domestic version is stellar. This image is from the book though...notice anything?

[​IMG]

14. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

It would help if there was an image there. If it's of Eric Clapton playing left handed, that has already been mentioned.

15. kuad

kuad Forum Resident

Lol
    Yes there is suppose to be an image; wonder why it is not visible.
    How did that get past the people that overlooked/published the book?

16. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

I finally pulled the trigger on this. I'm a Jack Bruce near-completist, so I knew I'd get around to it eventually (and didn't want to wait until it's OOP).

As others have pointed out, Crossroads at Oakland is a train wreck! Mostly due to Ginger. It sounds like he left the drum riser and Pete Brown took over for him. I almost wonder if Ginger was having trouble hearing the others at that point for some reason. Just uncharacteristically off.

17. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

My standard issue box from Amazon arrived with the glossy cover coming apart at one of the edges. I guess I need to find the right glue? My other educated guess is the Japan box is much better made. Other than bonus tracks (not an issue here) that's why I go for the Japanese product, e.g.., higher quality construction and design details not found on the standard issue. In this instance, I purchased late so I couldn't get the bonus poster that came with the Japan box. But maybe I should have gone that route, anyway.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
    Shvartze Shabbos and fairies like this.
  18. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I got the Japanese box because I was unable to find a domestic box in stock at the on line retailers I normally use. It is well constructed packaging and I like the protective plastic sleeves for the discs. Not worth the extra money, but I did have an earned points buyer coupon that was expiring in a couple of days, so I took the opportunity. Very happy with the quality and of course the availability...

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    wavethatflag likes this.
  19. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

It does recover, but the beginning (doesn't Eric start it in the wrong key too?) is just hilariously bad!

I've said it before, but none of the other live versions I've heard (on this box or on boots) match the groove on the classic 03/10/68 version and a big part of that I think is that locked-in tango rhythm that Ginger plays there - did he ever play it that way again...?

20. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Bullmoose still has some in stock for those looking for this in the U.S. still. That's where I got mine.

- Cream - Goodbye Tour – Live 1968

Strummergas, Matthew Tate and dsdu like this.
  21. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

Maybe not, but Ginger lays down a nice groove on BBM's City of Gold, basically a remake of Crossroads.
    (Sad all three guys are no longer with us)

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  22. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Same for me. 87 euro from JPC. Due to unavailability of the int'l edition.

23. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

Cool! Any idea what show this is?

Hep Alien likes this.
  24. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident Thread Starter

It was some fancy Richard Branson party to celebrate Virgin’s 21st birthday 26th May 1994 Live at The Manor. I remember watching it on TV at the time but the detail was from YouTube.

25. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I pre-ordered a copy from another vendor before release and then never heard from them after it was released. When I contacted them they said sorry, they didn't have any left and weren't sure they'd ever get any more. I searched other sellers (except Bull Moose) and came up with nothing. I fell through the cracks completely, cancelled my back order, and went with the Japan Box so I could be sure of getting it.