Cream - Goodbye Tour Box

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tuck1977, Nov 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Most of Live Cream and Live Cream II is sourced from and the Winterland (3/9, 3/10/68) and Fillmore West (3/7/68); three tracks from Live Cream II are from 10/4/68 at the Oakland Coliseum Arena.

2. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

As someone who just recently discovered Cream,(prompted by news of Ginger Baker’s passing and watching the excellent Beware Of Mr. Baker documentary), this set is coming at exactly the right time. Can’t wait!

3. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

7 tracks on the this set have been previously released on other releases.

4. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

That's a really nice looking package.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. John D.

John D. Senior Member

It is nice looking, what happened to the Disraeli Gears deluxe?

JulesRules and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. Edmoney

Edmoney Forum Resident

Are the Cream performances found on this set generally considered to be very good? I thought I read somewhere on this forum (from several posters) that Cream was at its live peak (most creative, fresh, inspired, tightest performances) in 1967 and that by 1968 they were somewhat mailing it in and going through the motions ... that their hearts were no longer in it.

7. Jon-A

Jon-A Forum Resident

Many swear by the earlier stuff - not me. I think that late-68 finds them still at close to their best - and any deficit is more than made up for by the much better sound and instrumental balance of the recordings. Those prized earlier boots are so often distorted and unbalanced to the point of masking the individual players (usually Jack) and minimizing the all-important interplay between the three. If this much material emerged from early 68, or 67, in excellent sound (the 3 California shows - wait and see on RAH), I might adjust my opinion. But for the foreseeable future 10/68 is my go-to for live Cream.

8. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

The studio tapes for Disraeli Gears were long destroyed in the Atlantic fire and so there is not much left in the vault to reissue. Universal did a 2-CD deluxe set in 2004 that covered what’s left studio wise.

However, they could’ve gone down same route and possibly done a Disraeli Gears Live box set with the complete Winterland & Fillmore shows from March 1968.

I guess they thought it was better idea to release the late 1968 shows in Goodbye package instead and that the market wasn’t there for 2 live Cream sets from 1968.

I don’t think Bill @musicman9999 posts here anymore but he should have the answers. Hopefully someone does an interview with him about this new release.

9. crossroads69

Did Cream record any 1967 shows on multi track? I was browsing Marc Roberty’s Day By Day book and couldn’t find any entries other than Stockholm (Mar 1967) that was recorded for radio .

10. thenobs70

thenobs70 Forum Resident

Here's a quick little guide. Track times from iTunes.

Hep Alien, ARK, izgoblin and 4 others like this.
  11. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I understand the super deluxe set for Disraeli Gears was skipped because of lack of surviving session tapes but... was there a Wheels Of Fire box set released?

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

No

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Also lacking of surviving session tapes?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I'm not sure about that or if any of the live tapes from the shows recorded for the live disc survived.

The live shows on the new box set were from the shows used on the Goodbye and Live Cream Vol. 2 lps and not Wheels of Fire.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    supermd, Dondy, Matthew Tate and 2 others like this.
  15. crossroads69

Was the Royal Albert farewell concert recorded to multi track? What’s an “analog transfer reel” that’s referred in the press release as the source for disc 4? Trying to understand if a proper live concert recording set up was used (like mobile 4 or 8 track).

andrewskyDE and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. JR63

JR63 Forum Resident

I see that this boxed set is available for pre-order on the Amazon U.K. website, but when I go to the Amazon.com (U.S.) it says "Currently unavailable". I wonder when it will be listed as available for pre-order on our Amazon website?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

This is what I was wondering – the wording of the blurb does not suggest a multitrack recording to me (even a 4-track or 8-track), but sounds more like it’s gonna be a simple mono or stereo soundboard recording, with all instrument levels & balance “locked-in”.

Incidentally, Sunshine Of Your Love from RAH 1968 was released on this Ginger Baker compilation in 1991,

Ginger Baker - The Album

Does anyone have it or know how it sounds? That could provide a clue to what this new set has to offer (assuming it’s the same tape source, of course…)

18. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Do you happen to recall where the two live bonus tracks ( Sunshine / NSU ) included on the 2013 SHM Wheels release where recorded ..?

19. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Winterland I think

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Rough mixes by Bill Halverson from 1968. Sitting On Top Of The World is posted on his website:

Bill Halverson - Legendary Producer, Engineer, Arranger - Bio

The basic tracks were cut at Wally Heider's (not demos), with overdubs at IBC. The basic track of Badge from Wally Heider's is posted on Halverson's site:

Bill Halverson - Legendary Producer, Engineer, Arranger - Bio

They are releasing the Goodbye shows because those are the shows that exist.

21. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Previously unreleased or taken from another release ??

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

@lukpac- thanks for the link to Badge-:thumbsup:

23. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Some excellent stuff on Bill's bio page too, check out Sitting On Top Of The World audio clip.
    Thanks @lukpac for these links, all new to me and much appreciated. :agree:

24. mattazing

mattazing Forum Resident

Do you happen to know if they still have access to the the March '68 tapes (Wheels of Fire recording dates at Winterland/Fillmore).

25. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I'm not aware of anything complete like the fall shows, just a few songs. I know there's an alternate mono mix of Crossroads, for example; I don't know where that came from though.

mattazing and Matthew Tate like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.