Cream - Goodbye Tour Box

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tuck1977, Nov 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. donohed

donohed Hope Joy Victory !

I don't expect it to come with a Goodbye type of foldout, but that would be pretty cool. Especially a variation from the old ones.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident Thread Starter

No it’s single sleeve with 2 LP’s slipped in. Pretty poor package but has quality inners, no photos or printed word.

3. donohed

Oh well....
    It makes me think of how the Traffic vinyl remasters box each came with specific, nice sized fold out posters on good paper. such potential for giving us something great to hanG on the wall, but the only one that was ...... 2/3 cool came in the Low Spark record : it was the original back cover shot, which is more than cool enough, but from their knees down western boots with spurs were line drawn on. P-ffff. One of these days I'll cut it there and mount it on a board, but all the others were just a waste of paper, and potential.
    I held half a hope for a Goodbye fold out ; the Rolling Stones Metamorphosis rerelease came with the iron on ! Members reviews on the sq weren't very good, but I bought one just for the transfer !

4. Tuck1977

They just need to consult a fansite forum like this one. Create a tick box option with questions for package tip on sleeves, gatefold, poster, memorabilia, AAA, etc then with factual evidence then get to work creating the release for the fans. Anyway back to reality - just give me the half baked hashed out digital to wax on colour and I’ll be good to go.
    Many Thanks
    It’s better than them not bothering at all.

donohed likes this.
  5. donohed

I guess we can expect it to just be a transfer of the official cd, but you're thinking it'll have a second rate sq ?
    Just snuck mine in from off the stoop,! it's like they sent a block of lead ! I have to keep it on the low down until my wife isn't around
    The old boot was good, and then the upgrade surfaced a couple of years ago. I'll see how it compares when my lovely wife isn't around

6. donohed

False alarm : it's my Kinks Village Green super deluxe. I'm thinking how can a double album be so heavy ?

JulesRules and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. donohed

ok, LA Forum arrived today. i don't know, its very treble-ey, and the bass doesn't sound strong. my original ATCO Goodbye lp may have a better sound
    my first impression is that it has a strong digital sounding depreciation to the sound

Last edited: May 5, 2021
  8. Mullin

Mullin Forum Resident

@lukpac

9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

What is "a strong digital sounding depreciation to the sound"?

The mixes on Goodbye are different from the ones used on the recent reissues.

I don't buy vinyl for the sake of vinyl, so I can only comment on the CD box.

10. donohed

I've come to appreciate that just because a release is digital, or from a digital source, does not necessarily mean that it's going to sound bad, or that it's not going to be an improvement. or even a vast improvement. At first I was impressed with clarity and I guess separation, but soon realized that while you could hear the bass guitar, it just did not have the thunder. After two sides I kind of feel the old digital fatigue, and I don't think it's just from tinitus.
    I am curious to read what others impressions are. I don't have wooden ears, but like with food, I only have two taste buds : + and - . I envy people's insights and ability to analyze and critique the different aspects of songs and recording values. At least I have good taste going for me though,, and a great collection.

Last edited: May 5, 2021
    All Down The Line, slipkid and its ec like this.
  11. donohed

12. Tuck1977

I agree I was pretty disappointed to be honest. I could not even be bothered to make it through 2 sides. I would not recommend it, just stick with CD set.

hiterss and elsanto like this.
  13. donohed

By now with the resurgance of vinyl and ex sq's , theres just no excuse. What should have been a sound investment turned out to be a straight up rip-off

14. Tuck1977

I very nearly just left it in shrink but my curiosity was too strong. I am not surprised as we are lucky to got a 4CD set at all. I feel the Cream could be served up a better legacy on vinyl front but that just my opinion.

15. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I got it from the Universal site but was surprised that no regular sources ie. Amazon were carrying it. I guess it was a very limited release but already sold out.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Well, I made it thru side 2 and not that enthused with the sound either. One of these days I will play the second LP, but for now I have other vinyl in the lineup begging for a spin. :agree:

17. tgdon'tmind

tgdon'tmind Lord, Here Comes The Flood

I'll start off by saying, I'll buy anything put out regarding Cream, so bring it all on. Now, having said that, not to impressed with this set. Sound is OK, nothing to write home about. Packaging is nondescript. Wish they had taken the time and attention to really do it right. To quote Ginger- WHAT A BRINGDOWN.

18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

These complaints: are they in relation to the CD box? Or in a vacuum?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. donohed

the new LA Forum vinyl release.
    i'm with tgdon'tmind about Cream material, and that's exactly why i bought it. i've had the L.A. boot forever, and the upgrades for a couple of years, but this WAS a waste of good $ .
    the DG 1/2 speed master, now THAT's doing it right .
    stick with the cd set

elsanto likes this.
  20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Yes, the vinyl release. But I'm asking if the complaints are in relation to the CD box ("it sounds much worse than the same material on the CDs") or otherwise ("I just don't like how it sounds" or "Goodbye sounds better").

superstar19 likes this.
  21. donohed

Ahh, vaccuum. I didn't get it !
    Ok, I never bought this farewell tour collection because I'd received the '68 shows ' upgrades ' from the boots a few years before, and assumed it likely would be from the same source, or whatever. Being as into it as I am I didn't miss a hearts beat in paying for the preorder for this vinyl release, expecting it to have the sq by all rights it should have. Shame on whoever mastered or mixed this lp, aND the farewell collection, it would seem : long before side 2 finished, the disallusionment of what this vinyl releases' sq is was in place, and I can not even bring myself to play the second record ( I walked out of an .... 02 ? Peter Green ( RIP )concert after a few songs. that other guy playing the melody line for Albatross pushed me out the door ; Peter Green ( RIP ) ... could no longer play like Peter Green. ( RIP ) .
    So I just now checked the ' upgrades '. (honestly I haven't played them and realized before what was done to them ) They ( the LA Forum at least ) ain't no upgrades to my hearing. Yeah there's a clarity, but it sounds digitally to me and like it was eq'd with the trebles all up and whichever bands that would bring up the bass moved down. A quick sample of the boot proved it, as did my needing reassurance with double checking Goodbye after hearing that abortion yesterday. It's criminal what was done with that tape, and I expect the others.

22. donohed

My original ATCO sounded best , to me, with the old boot a close second. They sound to be from the same source tape, master, whatever.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

But Goodbye has completely different mixes. Which is why I'm wondering if the complaints are of the mixes, or the vinyl mastering.

24. donohed

without comparing them in that way, to that degree, as it's not so obvious to my ear, I'd say that both the mix and mastering suck ! what i understand from your pm, certainly the mastering sucks BIG TIME. how could a professional engineer think that sounds any good at all, or right ? it's like he hates Cream, or music all together, and is making a statement by ruining a fn great concert tape .
    i take this to heart.

25. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Sounds like they took the CD from the Goodbye Tour Box, and just pressed it on vinyl?

I have no problem with the sound of the Box, other than the RAH show, which is severely limited by the source. I had a feeling this vinyl release of the LA gig wouldn't be good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.