Cream - Goodbye Tour Box

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tuck1977, Nov 29, 2019.

1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Yes, the vinyl release. But I'm asking if the complaints are in relation to the CD box ("it sounds much worse than the same material on the CDs") or otherwise ("I just don't like how it sounds" or "Goodbye sounds better").

superstar19 likes this.
  2. donohed

donohed Hope Joy Victory !

Ahh, vaccuum. I didn't get it !
    Ok, I never bought this farewell tour collection because I'd received the '68 shows ' upgrades ' from the boots a few years before, and assumed it likely would be from the same source, or whatever. Being as into it as I am I didn't miss a hearts beat in paying for the preorder for this vinyl release, expecting it to have the sq by all rights it should have. Shame on whoever mastered or mixed this lp, aND the farewell collection, it would seem : long before side 2 finished, the disallusionment of what this vinyl releases' sq is was in place, and I can not even bring myself to play the second record ( I walked out of an .... 02 ? Peter Green ( RIP )concert after a few songs. that other guy playing the melody line for Albatross pushed me out the door ; Peter Green ( RIP ) ... could no longer play like Peter Green. ( RIP ) .
    So I just now checked the ' upgrades '. (honestly I haven't played them and realized before what was done to them ) They ( the LA Forum at least ) ain't no upgrades to my hearing. Yeah there's a clarity, but it sounds digitally to me and like it was eq'd with the trebles all up and whichever bands that would bring up the bass moved down. A quick sample of the boot proved it, as did my needing reassurance with double checking Goodbye after hearing that abortion yesterday. It's criminal what was done with that tape, and I expect the others.

3. donohed

My original ATCO sounded best , to me, with the old boot a close second. They sound to be from the same source tape, master, whatever.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

But Goodbye has completely different mixes. Which is why I'm wondering if the complaints are of the mixes, or the vinyl mastering.

5. donohed

without comparing them in that way, to that degree, as it's not so obvious to my ear, I'd say that both the mix and mastering suck ! what i understand from your pm, certainly the mastering sucks BIG TIME. how could a professional engineer think that sounds any good at all, or right ? it's like he hates Cream, or music all together, and is making a statement by ruining a fn great concert tape .
    i take this to heart.

6. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Sounds like they took the CD from the Goodbye Tour Box, and just pressed it on vinyl?

I have no problem with the sound of the Box, other than the RAH show, which is severely limited by the source. I had a feeling this vinyl release of the LA gig wouldn't be good.

7. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

The old Atco album sounded terrible - there were literally parts of Ginger Baker's drumming that were inaudible - drowned out by Jack Bruce's bass IMHO, the old ATCO mix sounded like an AM radio - and I'm not one given to hyperbole - even MFSL couldn't improve the sound much. Have a listen to the pressed snare rolls at the start of Sitting On Top Of The World - audible on the new mix; not so on the Atco. The new mixes are overall far better balanced sonically, but still lacking some bass, IMHO.
    I notice that I can't view your profile to see why you hear things the way that you do. Our host has requested that anybody commenting on sound quality needs to fill out their equipment profile.

8. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Finally got around to spinning my copy. I have the CD box and sounds the same to these ears.

[​IMG]

9. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

I’ll have to chime in here.
    I don’t know what you are expecting, but the new release is newly remixed, eq’ed and mastered differently than the original. It’s going to be a different listening experience than the original set from that premise.
    The original has a ‘dirty’ sound. I can perfectly understand that if that is what you are expecting the new remix to be, it’s a dissapointment. On the other hand, the remix is a way more detailed listen. It’s different. Better? That’s debatable. However, maybe you should just try to adjust to it, instead of comparing. I can’t hear that much difference between the new mix and the ones released from the same shows on the Live Cream volumes. And the limiting and mastering are actually quite good here. There is dynamics preserved, compared to other modern remixes.

10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Thanks.

Different mixes. Not newly remixed.

supermd, JulesRules and superstar19 like this.
  11. MHP

Ok. I thought it was a new mix. It’s not?

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Newly released. Mixed in 1968.

ARK and slipkid like this.
  13. MHP

Interesting. Then why is the sound so detailed, compared to what was on the Goodbye album?

14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Different mixing engineers.

slipkid and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. MHP

Ok. My friend, now I’m confused. Was it mixed on 2 seperate occations? “Sitting On Top Of The World” sounds very different on Goodbye and on the box. And it’s the same performance. Please explain.

All Down The Line likes this.
  16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

As I stated, mixed by 2 different people. That’s all there is to it. Different rooms, different gear, and different ideas of what a rock trio recorded to 8-track should sound like.

17. MHP

I get that. But that’s not answering my question: Was the songs from Goodbye (selected from this show) and the whole show without edits, mixed seperately by 2 different engineer’s and both in 1968? If so, that seems like a strange move to do so.

18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Bill Halverson mixed the whole shows for reference after he recorded them.

I have no idea if the person who mixed the Goodbye tracks (probably Adrian Barber) mixed the entire shows or not.

19. DavidJ

DavidJ Forum Resident

I guess I may be in the minority on the 2LP vinyl set, as it sounds more than adequate to my ears. I did go in with modest expectations, thinking this would be on par sonically with the Live Cream volumes, i.e. not a sonic marvel. Do folks feel that those LPs sound appreciably better than this release?

I know this is an audiophile forum, so please don’t judge me when I say that I purchased this to hear/have the performances (which I’m enjoying quite a bit) and wasn’t too bothered by the average sound quality.

NumberEight likes this.
  20. MHP

Thanks. Great information.

ARK and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Just curious....what model Kenwood receiver do you have? That picture looks exactly like the one that I had in the 70s.

superstar19 likes this.
  22. donohed

I grew u
    What I was expecting was for the nicknacks in my living room to be rattling around from the power of Jack Bruce's bass. Instead , the sound was dominated by treble and cymbals . He ( RIP ) might as well have been plucking a banjo. I expected 2020 equipment to provide clarity and separation without sacrificing power.
    Listening to the new vinyl was unimpressive, and I posted as much. It was lukpac that asked me to compare, and I did sample each of what I had of the LA Forum show to answer him as best I could with my limited understanding of aspects and terminology. I did acknowledge a degree of clarity to it, but that I prefer the deeper, more powerful. If that's what you meant by dirty. If you prefer this version, well then rock on.
    Adjustments are made out of necessity ,or for a goal. I just want to listen to good sounding recordings

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  23. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

IMHO, the different mixes (for the LA Forum and Oakland Coliseum tracks on the Goodbye Tour) are a much better sounding than those originally released on Goodbye and Live Cream Vol. II. I'm not sure why the original mixes were chosen over the "alternate" mixes.

24. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

KR-4400

25. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Atlantic likely never had the Halverson rough mixes.

Jon H., ARK, superstar19 and 2 others like this.