Cream - Goodbye Tour Box

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tuck1977, Nov 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Thanks for the link! Loved the bare version of Badge and also the story of the missing Leslie pedal :)

The Sitting On Top Of The World Mix also sounds good, looking forward to the complete shows!

supermd, Matthew Tate and murch like this.
  2. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

The Atlantic warehouse fire was in 1978, and the March 7, 1968 "Sunshine" was released on a maxi-single (and AFAIK never otherwise). No idea if that was taken from the multis but could it be there might be hope these March 1968 recordings still exist? :)

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I wouldn't hold your breath for anything more than a few random tracks.

jdw and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

Pout. ;)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

You're going to get varying opinions, but mine is that the band were not quite as good as they had been in 1967. Don't get me wrong, they still performed at a relatively high level (If they were going through the motions, they were still darn good at it!). Good shows combined with what should be great sound quality make this set a must have for any fan! In fact, for some this release may be more enjoyable than anything from 1967 based on sound quality alone. However, I just don't believe they matched up performance wise with what we have from 1967, specifically from the first North American tour (Whisky, Fillmore, Detroit, etc).

6. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

Amazing band, only together for a little over 2 years but guess they were lucky to last that long with the volatile personalities and egos involved.

7. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Oh Boy! This set is gonna be killer. Listening to the mix of Sunshine it sounds very nice indeed.
    If the RAH set is better than what I already have then I will be very happy. I have the bootleg of these sets and it is great. Loving all these EU copyright releases.

8. hiterss

hiterss Forum Resident

Thanks for affirming how good the mix is :D
    Looking forward to getting the whole boxset

RockRoom and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. marc roberty

marc roberty Forum Resident

You would think that as it was their farewell show it would have been recorded on multitrack with a view of releasing it at a later date, but it was not. What exists is a mono line recording that was the basis of the film footage soundtrack. Review files for the set have been sent to journalists today. The producers have worked miracles with the audio for the RAH show. It is now very listenable and I am sure fans will be pleased to have this historic show in the box set. No John Peel introduction though and I think White Room may be from the first show, but I need to listen again to be sure. If you are a Cream fan, you are going to love this set.

10. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Agreed. This is a deal breaker for me. I am not pre-ordering but will wait on reports on mastering first.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Thanks Marc! Every time a new set like this comes up, I always reach out for your books to see what was recorded, set lists, etc. They’re the best Clapton recording resource out there for fans like me :)

So the RAH show is mono release then?

12. marc roberty

marc roberty Forum Resident

Thank you for the kind words.

Yes, RAH is mono, but I have not heard it sound as good before. The producers did a great job with what they had available.

13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

clapton sure does like to release live stuff doesn't he?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. RockDude4492

RockDude4492 Forum Resident

That’s great to hear! I cannot wait for this set.

andrewskyDE and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I don’t think Clapton is too involved.

16. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

Ordered the SHM-CD version. Clapton had said one the last shows they played (Philadelphia?) was one of the Band's best. Hope some of those tracks are on this.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

Got and email from Clapton's Website about this.

18. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

No tracks from Philadelphia are on the Goodbye Tour box.

DrBeatle and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. Tuck1977

I’m fine with Mono Royal Albert Hall, I will take this and be most grateful. Just imagine if it had cleaned up multi camera option Blu Ray too.

20. craymcla

craymcla Forum Resident

This is certainly good news for fans, but I've read that none of the officially recorded concerts truly captured the sound of the band because recording engineers forced them to turn down the amps out of fear of damaging the amplifier microphones.

Tuck1977 likes this.
  21. no time

no time Forum Resident

If we consider the length of the song (6:46) it is more likely to be the version recorded at the Fillmore Auditorium on 7 March 1968 and already released on the Eric Clapton's CD-single "After Midnight", and later also on the version Platinum SHM-CD of "Wheels of Fire" .

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. Tuck1977

If you check out the Detroit recording this is the full distortion balls to the wall sound that apparently could not be captured. Not sure why The Who or Hendrix never had a problem around same period. Personally I prefer the cleaner sound Clapton has on later recordings. Bruce’s sound was great and Ginger’s drums mix’d up lovely.

23. craymcla

craymcla Forum Resident

I think "fear" is the operative word here, but maybe they did lose a mic or two before figuring our how to record the beasts. The Ramones had trouble with engineers on their first (demo?) recordings because they just wanted to crank the Marshalls and play and the engineers were afraid of what that might do to their equipment.

24. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Thanks, Luke.

25. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Not a fair comparison, since Detroit wasn't professionally recorded. It's pretty good, but it's still an amateur direct to stereo recording from 1967.

I don't know if the "the band had to turn down" story is true or not, but if it was, it was likely to reduce leakage into the drum mics, rather than to risk some sort of damage to the mics on the amps. It appears that at Winterland there were Shure SM56s and 546s on the amps, and my guess is the same was true at the other shows. Those are dynamic mics (the SM56 being identical to the SM57, which is still in production, other than having a built-in stand mount) that can take extremely loud SPLs. Shure indicates the SM58 can handle 150 dB at 100 Hz before distorting, which I believe would be well above the level of any individual speaker in a cabinet.

[​IMG]

Even a Neumann U67, which was a common tube condenser mic at the time, would likely be fine in most cases.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.