Creating A List of Reputable Used Vinyl Sellers

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by FanOfTunes, Jan 23, 2023.

1. FanOfTunes

FanOfTunes Forum Resident Thread Starter

It has been my experience that much of Discogs and Ebay used vinyl is overgraded visually, and often not playgraded at all.

Having built a collection of quiet vinyl, there are still perhaps 15 or 20 titles I am still seeking due to having to return one or more copies to the sellers for refund due to overgrading.

In print vinyl sellers (Acoustic Sounds, Mofi, Amazon, Walmart) that I have used have been fantastic about allowing exchanges or returns on the rare occasion when a record comes flawed from the factory. Some used sellers become indignant, want to argue over return shipping, or demand inaccurately positive feedback in exchange for allowing the return of a VG record graded as Mint.

If a used seller lists a record as "Mint" or "Near Mint" it should mean that it isn't marked up, it plays quietly and without groove distortion, and the labels aren't covered with spindle marks. Unfortunately, some sellers believe that if it survived being stuffed in the bottom of a duffle bag during 2 tours of the Vietnam War without being broken into 2 pieces, it is "Mint".

Suggestions appreciated. :)