Creedence Clearwater Revival "Bayou country"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sear, Nov 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sear

Sear Dad rocker Thread Starter

So what are your thoughts about this LP?
    I like it just the same as Cosmo's factory, Willy and Green River. It's the most "swampy" LP and I really enjoy the long songs and the guitar excursions a lot

Usagi75, Sigma6, Fred1 and 10 others like this.
  2. Dandelion1967

Dandelion1967 My Favourite Parks Are Car Parks

"Born on the Bayou" and "Proud Mary" are classic songs but the real standout for me would have to be "Keep On Chooglin." It's everything I love about this band, distilled into one bluesy, hard-rockin' 7-minute epic, but I think that the three albums that follow this one are better.

sleeptalker, johnny q, jmadad and 8 others like this.
  3. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

One of the best openers on any rock album ever.

Adam9, JuanTCB, spanky1 and 10 others like this.
  4. sleepjar

sleepjar Cover version

It was my favorite for several years. Recently I've gone back to Cosmo's, but I'm with you in that I like it just as much as the others.

2141, DK Pete and Sear like this.
  5. RudolphS

RudolphS Forum Resident

Not CCR's best one. Born On The Bayou and Proud Mary are classics, but I can live without the rest.
    6/10.

Adam9 and ihog like this.
  6. plugmeintosomething

plugmeintosomething Forum Resident

Great album. Not quite to the level of Cosmo's but still great. What a talent Fogerty is.

2141, savemenow, bonus and 1 other person like this.
  7. Sear

Sear Dad rocker Thread Starter

I admit the 3 followers are better but I love the four just the same.
    What an incredible band

8. One of the better rock albums out there.

Sear and marklamb like this.
  9. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I don't love it as much as Cosmo's or Poorboys but I love it just the same. I consider it CCR at their near finest...great sound led by an incredible vocalist. Fogerty has sometimes been put down for how he handled the band in terms of leadership and direction...but for me, he knew exactly what he was doing..and as a result, gave us some truly great music. My favorite American band.

2141, savemenow and Dave Armstrong like this.
  10. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Agreed; that opening, gritty riff is brilliant...simple as can possibly be, but brilliant.

2141 and sleepjar like this.
  11. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Fogerty talks about ' Proud Mary ' in his book and how it was the first good song he wrote.
    He says he used to keep a little notebook in his pocket and he'd write down lines and images and flesh them out. One day the words ' proud Mary ' popped into his head. He wrote it down. He didn't know what it was or what it was supposed to be but he liked it.

12. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

A few good songs. And "Good Golly Miss Molly" rocks. If you're in the mood I guess the long songs are ok, but generally I prefer Fogerty when he uses more than 1 chord. Or 2. His genius exemplified when he could make the 3 chord songs like 'Up Around the Bend' work as brilliant excursions.

13. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

Penthouse Pauper shows off Fogerty's blues riffs quite nicely. A 'must listen to the whole album' LP...with the exception of Proud Mary, which I don't skip and probably sing along to while it plays but was so burned out on the radio that I tend to avoid it when it comes on.

14. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

His is my favorite autobiography ever...I absolutely love the way this man thinks and approaches music. Proud Mary certainly checks off a lot of "boxes" in terms of being a well written, catchy hit song...but the very best was quite yet to come!

15. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

The soun
    The sound of his guitar and playing technique is what makes the "long songs" work for me; gritty yet very concise.

16. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

..yea, the bookends of the album are what makes it special. I actually think it's a stronger album than Green River (most will disgree) but Willy and The Poorboys and Cosmo's Factory are a great uphill run.

17. Matty

Matty Senior Member

Same here. I don't like the two long songs at all. Probably my least favorite of the first 6 CCR albums.

18. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Fantastic LP! A classic all day long with no bad tracks on it.:drool:

Sear and Dave Armstrong like this.
  19. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

Great album.....and if "Keep on Chooglin" was another 7 minutes longer it would be OK with me.

20. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

What is most astounding to me is 1969 in general:

Bayou Country: Released January 5, 1969
    Green River: Released August 3, 1969
    Willy And The Poor Boys: Released November 2, 1969

That is just insane!

21. Dandelion1967

Dandelion1967 My Favourite Parks Are Car Parks

The Monkees:

More of The Monkees: Released January 9, 1967
    Headquarters: Released May 22, 1967
    Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd: November 6, 1967

Not bad either.

Sear, Archguy, Grand_Ennui and 3 others like this.
  22. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Not bad either, as you say. But those albums were the product of a collective of many different writers and musicians, besides the Monkees themselves.

And not to make slight of Stu, Doug, and Tom, but John Fogerty just about single-handed handled the songwriting, production, lead vocals, lead guitar, and overdubs all by himself.

23. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

And won't that be fine?

24. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Don't mean to threadcrap, but I was watching this last night, and WOW, I was incredibly mesmerized. What. A. Performance.

25. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Woodstock.....that entire performance is spellbinding..and to think, Fogerty didn't even want it released!....from what I've seen and heard, they were one of the very tightest bands there. And far as this right here...I don't even like the song....but the performance gives me shivers. That guitar sound.....!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.