Creedence Clearwater Revival in surround?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by head_unit, Jan 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member Thread Starter

Tim Bucknall and DK Pete like this.
  2. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Probably a wrong label.

3. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

A true, official release like this implies that the original multitrack tapes are out there of CCR's material. Maybe I'm confusing with another band but I could swear I heard or read at one time that they were destroyed or that Fogerty himself destroyed them. I could be wrong. In fact, I hope I'm wrong. Id love remixes of everything by them.

2141 and Tim Bucknall like this.
  4. head_unit

I doubt Fogerty destroyed them-would he have had them? Or Saul Zaentz? The picture of the disc looks so official but I had never heard anything about surround mixes

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Some of the songs were remixed in 1974 or so in four channel quad for a crappy hits comp: They suck. I used those tapes to do a wide stereo mix of BAD MOON RISING, PROUD LARRY etc. for vinyl at Analogue Productions.

The multi-tracks are safe at Concord.

supermd, epc, JazzFanatic and 13 others like this.
  6. breakingglass

breakingglass Forum Resident

7. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Can't see CCR going for surround anyhow. Their material sounds like it was made for AM radio and these...

[​IMG]

sotosound and DK Pete like this.
  8. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Just out of curiosity was that involving that echo laden mix of Bad Moon Rising from the American Werewolf in London movie?

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  9. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Listening to the quad mix right now.

It’s a mixed bag, IMO. Some sounds like fake surround (Down On The Corner, Ever Seen The Rain), some is conservative (but real) quad (Proud Mary), some sounds more like standard vintage quad (ex: Born On The Bayou, Suzie Q). Grapevine and Midnight Special are somewhere between #2 & #3.

I’m not one who needs stuff from every direction just because you can...so I’m mostly okay with the mixes (except the ones which sound fake). The music doesn’t really warrant crazy quad mixes.

10. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I don’t know that mix per se, but the quad mix has quite a bit of echo in the guitar intro.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  11. marcb

marcb Senior Member

12. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

...far as the original Lp's, for sure...but some of the more current pressings and remasters over the years have made for a pretty nice "big system" listen. Cool picture, by the way.

nicotinecaffeine likes this.
  13. LennonCobain

LennonCobain Forum Resident

I owned this SACD. It is fake upmix surround and not even remotely enjoyable.

Other than Creedence Gold, the only official multichannel release I am aware of is one CCR track that appeared on a Mercedes Benz promo DVD.

As an aside I have made surround sound mixes from the audio for tracks released for Rock Band / Guitar Hero games. The mixes are very good, so professional multichannel mixes would be amazing.

head_unit likes this.
  14. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

CCR in surround sound is just plain wrong.....:)

15. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I guess I was wrong that it was mis-stickered... :hide:

16. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I think the Mercedes Benz DVD track was an upmix to McH.

17. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Actually some of it works fairly well in quad.

Jimijam and mark winstanley like this.
  18. head_unit

Yeah, it should only be heard in mono out of the throat of a megaphone! :p
    Actually I'd think it would be wonderful in surround with a judicious hand at the mixer. After all, surround isn't just about stuff flying around the rears, but spreading out all the audio elements with more space to breathe. This was shockingly evident listening to Fleetwood Mac's Rumours at 5.1 Entertainment. Also the original DVD-Audio mix by John Kellogg of Chicago II (I really wonder why that got re-re-mixed? And Brain Salad Surgery as well? Those were great mixes. I have not heard their replacements).

rd1 and mark winstanley like this.
  19. J_Surround

J_Surround Forum Resident

Actually, the 5.1 version of Chicago II is the 're-remix'. It was first remixed to quad back in 1974 and later reissued as part of the Chicago Quadio box set in 2016.

20. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Are the Woodstock bonus videos in surround? 40th/45th/50th editions, whenever they came out.

21. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

No foolin. Not every band warrants that slurp.

"The White Stripes in 7.1. Remixed and remastered. Supervised by Meg White's brother's cousin's friend's former roommate"

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2021
    Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  22. head_unit

What I meant was that I believed there was another 5.1 issue of Chicago II with yet another mix. Looking at Discogs I'm not sure that's true-maybe the DVD-Audio was reissued looking different but it's still John Kellogg's brilliant mix. I really like how his mix spreads things for more space, without exaggeration to the rear, and how the guitar solo in "25 or 6 to 4" zooms up the middle.

Maybe we can get him to remix Creedence into 5.1! Or maybe Steven Wilson is a fan?!?

mark winstanley and J_Surround like this.
  23. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Music should only be allowed to be recorded via 1 microphone, live to tape, and reproduced on a gramophone, with one horn.... everything else is just a gimmick.... it's all just gimmicks ....
    Smh

Jarleboy, rd1, Jaap74 and 3 others like this.
  24. head_unit

Steve, have you ever mixed 5.1? Or no interest? Or no opportunities? Loved your Dio work, make a 5.1 out of that, wheeee!!!!

25. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

Seriously? I think you need to open your mind. CCR can/should, and no doubt will be incredible when mixed in surround. I'm in! Can't wait till this becomes reality. :agree:

Dennis Metz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.