Creedence "Lodi" stereo question for the experts

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZAck Scott

ZAck Scott Senior Member

THat would make sense and make Him The Kubrick of Rock and Roll. ;)

Those quad mixes sound interesting but I'm torn on a purchase. Should I buy the Vinyl of Willie and the Poorboys or the SACD? I know that the SACD is a hybrid but I really don't know if I'll be listening to this in the car or at home more. for those of you who have both, what sounds nicer?

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

They sound basically the same. Even the AA SACD sounds real close to the older DCC LP.

3. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Yeah, but most of the CCR single releases were issued on Lp in conventional stereo. The big question has always been, why narrowly mix "Proud Mary," "Bad Moon," "Lodi" and "Hitch-Hiker" and not the others?
    It seems to have been very selective.

ED:cool:

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Selective? Proud Mary, Moon and Lodi were mixed just as mono was going out. Fogerty wanted the songs in mono but "compromised" on a stereo mix that was so narrow the songs made "The Book Of Lists' as the narrowest stereo mixes of all time. The magic of those mixes can't be duplicated though; the Quad remix of Mary and Moon sound positively anemic. Those are the "fairy dust" mixes.

Why didn't they mix "Green River" narrow like that? Beats the holy hell out of me.

Hitch-hiker was mixed that way because there was one guitar, drums and bass for most of the song. Each instrument too important to move off to the side (foreshadowing later "almost mono" mixes).

But this is old news, we've talked about this a zillion times on the old DCC site and here....

5. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Steve,

I do remember that the 45 to "Sweet Hitchhiker" was cut very hot!

Bob:)

McLover likes this.
  6. David Powell

David Powell Well-Known Member

"The Kubrick of Rock and Roll" -- I like that designation. It follows that one could call these peculiar mixes "Ears Shut to Wide Stereo" or "Narrow Metal Jacket":D

7. Steve Hoffman

Reopened by request.

8. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Why is this frustrating thread back? Are you finally giving us Creedence Gold in quad?

Myke likes this.
  9. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

I can only presume "Lodi" was recorded right before "Bad Moon Rising" as the former has a lower matrix number than the latter - irrespective of the latter being designated the "A" side by Fantasy in preparation for single release as #622. I had read somewhere those two songs were the last recorded by CCR at RCA's "Music Center of the World" studios in Hollywood (before switching to Heider and other studios), ergo would have had X3KM prefix numbers (presumably within the 8000 block) alongside the F-27## numbers assigned by Fantasy.

vonwegen likes this.
  10. Larry Geller

On release, Lodi was the A side. Like many other CCR 45s, DJs flipped it, and the B side became the hit. I bought it off of Lodi. Radio wasn't playing Bad Moon Rising as of yet.

vonwegen likes this.
  11. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I am of the opinion that "Proud Mary" sounds the best it's ever sounded in the mix found on Credence Gold - CD-4 Quadraphonic LP FPM 4001. Played back in stereo on a normal system reveals more thump to the drums, tighter bass, a bit more air around the cymbals, and a very slightly wider stereo image.

Other songs also sound different and in some cases (to me) better, but "Proud Mary" is the real standout, and it's first song on the side, so it has a fidelity advantage.

Creedence Clearwater Revival ‎– Creedence Gold
    Fantasy/Prestige/Milestone QuadraDisc ‎– FPM-4001

A1 Proud Mary 3:07
    A2 Down On The Corner 2:43
    A3 Bad Moon Rising 2:17
    A4 I Heard It Through The Grapevine 11:05
    B1 The Midnight Special 4:10
    B2 Have You Ever Seen The Rain? 2:39
    B3 Born On The Bayou 5:10
    B4 Suzie Q 8:34

Mastered At – JVC Cutting Center

No "Lodi" found on this LP.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    arisinwind and Bill Cormier like this.
  12. Larry Geller

Yes. Of the 3 "stereo mixed like mono" CCR tracks, Lodi is the one never released in quad.

arisinwind likes this.
  13. Larry Geller

I also don't understand Steve's comment on the quad mix being "anemic". If anything on that LP sounds anemic, it's the earlier Susie Q. Bad Moon and Proud Mary sound great finally properly separated.
    Wish that Run Through The Jungle and Looking Out My Back Door got the quad treatment.

14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

After I commented on Proud Mary I went and put it on for. Fresh listen and it sounded so good I left it in and played the entire thing straight through. The whole thing is amazing and more 3D sounding of course, I never thought anemic or thin sounding at all. Oh well we all hear things our own way to some degree. Oh and vocal clarity is quite good, you hear that loud and upfront.

15. McLover

McLover Senior Member

And the impression I have had for many years was. Mixed to fold down well for AM airplay. Stereo, but mono compatible. I have quite a few of the Fantasy 45 RPM singles from my youth, they are fold downs, but reasonably good sounding ones.

16. McLover

McLover Senior Member

It is cut very hot, Bob. A bit of a beast to track without breakup.

17. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Some
    Wherever that tape is located here in 2019, someone should ship it (insured of course) directly to Michael Dutton at Dutton-Vocalion. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.

Larry Geller likes this.
  18. Steve Hoffman

Who owns Creedence now, Concord? They have the stuff. Dreadful mixes.

19. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

As long as long as it got backed up to 24/96kHz or better yet 24/192kHz then that’s great because the original might be buried deep in “Miller’s Cave” at the Iron Mountain location.

Great work as usual Steve.

20. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I hear you Steve. Like I posted way back in 2003 in this thread, they are not great quad mixes, but it would be nice to have them in a modern format for posterity.

Interestingly enough, Concord mixed "Have You Ever Seen the Rain" in 5.1 for a Mercedes Benz demo DVD for their car systems in 2012, and as I recall it is a different mix than the original Creedence Gold. Again, it's no quad/surround spectacular by any means

21. Steve Hoffman

I bet that really pissed off JF.

22. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.