Creem, Crawdaddy, Circus & Trouser Press - the golden age of Rock mags

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris DeVoe, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe Forum Resident Thread Starter

...and I suppose Rolling Stone occasionally wrote about music. But those four were the biggies, the ones that were the most important source of writing and pictures about Rock music in the US in the late seventies. My older brother bought all of them, and handed most of them down to me - although he cut up a lot of them to make a mosaic of pictures covering all the walls of his room.

Anyway, feel free to share your memories of these big four, or chastise me for forgetting one that was even more vital.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  2. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

I started buying Circus around 1974. That plus Rolling Stone were my main sources of finding new music that didn't get airplay. Later around 1978, I started buying Trouser Press.

CliffL and hi_watt like this.
  3. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

Creem and Trouser Press from around 78-79 until mid 80s for me...wish there was something even close these days

4. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Forum Resident

5. boboquisp

boboquisp Forum Resident

Cream was great fun. Circus was OK, too. I still have a box full somewhere.

6. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Circus is where I learned that Ace Frehley's favorite misspelling of his own name is Abe Freshley. :cool:

7. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

Oh yes! The good old days! Back in the 70's I bought them all on a regular basis!

What else could a poor boy do ? No internet to keep up with our beloved bands!!!!!

8. Chris DeVoe

I really miss the snarky captions every year about the continuing adventures of The Object From Space visiting the American Music Awards.

It's impossible for me to look at a picture like this one...
    [​IMG]

...and not imagine with The Object might be thinking.

9. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

I used to love Rockline:

[​IMG]

10. MYKE

MYKE Analog Upstairs, Digital Downstairs

I was still living with my parents until July 1st, 1977, and I had plenty of issues of both Circus and Creem from around '74 -.
    Still have a lot of clippings from both, to this day.

j4yheindeo likes this.
  11. HarvG

HarvG Forum Resident

Had subscriptions to Creem, Trouser Press, and Circus during high school and college (the 70's) and probably a few years after. Routinely read them cover to cover, along with Rolling Stone (which certainly had more credibility then it does today). They were essentially my music news and review life lines. Somewhere in the basement is a box filled with a mix of them.

Paul R likes this.
  12. MYKE

MYKE Analog Upstairs, Digital Downstairs

Zoo World is another title ! Still have a Grand Funk on the cover issue of that !

spinout66 likes this.
  13. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

Rock Scene!
    Pretty skimpy on actual writing, but it allowed me to have a jump on all the New York punk bands
    way before they started recording.
    Creem was the bible, though.

14. gudnoyez

gudnoyez Forum Resident

Yeah living in Northern Minnesota at the time me and friends would drive 45 minutes to a record store called the Gallery, one would get Creem, I would buy Circus, one would by Heavy Metal, the other bought National Lampoon and Rolling Stone.

Plus we would get albums we would all swap the magazines and record one another's Album onto cassette It was a monthly ritual tunes and reading material good times.

15. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Loved Creem and Circus.

16. t-man 54

t-man 54 Forum Resident

Started buying Circus magazine in 1972. Also remember buying Circus Raves for a little while too. Both always had good color pictures. Bought Creem also. Trouser press and Crawdaddy wasn't available in my area at the time.

Saint Johnny and JDeanB like this.
  17. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I used to read Circus (and the spinoff Circus Raves) and Creem religiously from the early to late 70's. I would also read Hit Parader, which actually had great stuff from Lisa Robinson, Richard Robinson, Lester Bangs, etc. I lost interest when it went to a metal mag....and Circus tried to become more like People. But those were great times. I learned about a lot of bands from those mags.

18. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

Boy Howdy! Loved Creem, Circus, and Trouser Press. Hit Parader had its moments too. Lisa Robinson took over at some point in the '70s. Good times!

This thread needs some pictures:

[​IMG]

seacliffe301, xj32, Michael D and 3 others like this.
  19. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

20. Platterpus

Platterpus Forum Resident

Creem and Circus were a part of my youth in the 80s. I used to go to the library in various places that I lived and read articles from back issues on microfilm. Hit Parader was another one.

trumpet sounds and Paul R like this.
  21. George Blair

George Blair Forum Resident

My Dad threw them all out. But not before I was corrupted for life. ;)

22. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I still have about 20 old CREEM mags that date from the 1969-1973 era. Wish I had held on to more, they were top of the slag heap for a long time.
    Another vote for Zoo World, and there was a local NYC mag called Rock that was not bad.

T'mershi Duween likes this.
  23. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

This was always one of my favorite parts of Circus Magazine

[​IMG]

24. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

creem was a large.....very large part of my education with regards rock music.i remember going to the havoline pharmacy in suburban philly,and when i found it that month on the magazine rack was a blast!

georgespigott likes this.
  25. Chris DeVoe

Circus used to give Todd Rundgren a lot of respect, and it's shocking how little Todd or Utopia get played on "classic rock" stations compared to how they actually charted back in the day.