Creem Magazine Scans including 1972 Beach Boys Contest and More

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Javed Jafri, Jan 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Javed Jafri

Javed Jafri Forum Resident Thread Starter

Inspired by a recent thread on the site about rock mags I decided to get out my old Creem magazines and have added some scans to a Beach Boys post I did on my web site. Contest should be easy for Beach Boys fans now and there were some interesting questions like "what prompted Mile Love to grow a beard" and "Was Roger Christian and who did Gary Usher"

Beach Boys scans found here

I used to be an avid mag collector and so far have only gone through a few issues of Creem but have also uploaded a few radio related ads and such in the About section of the site.

2. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

I don't think I have ever seen the photo where they are wearing masks. Pretty cool.

3. CDmp3

CDmp3 Forum Resident

Velvet Underground vs Lou Reed, interesting...
    Black Sabbath and Beach Boys on the same page!

[​IMG]

Terry Shute and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  4. How about the Black Sabbath article and picture scans, pretty please . . .

AZRunner likes this.
  5. Javed Jafri

I will send the Black Sabbath scans to you on a private msg or email. Will try to concentrate the scans on the site to very short reviews or ads and content related to the radio from the era for the most part.

6. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Loved that magazine when I was a kid, wish I had saved them all.

AZRunner likes this.
  7. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

My favorite music publication ever. It got me into Big Star & got me back into The Beach Boys.

8. That's a very kind gesture, thank you. Much appreciated! :tiphat:

9. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

The word zydeco on a magazine cover in 1972?? Amazing. Clifton Chenier was about the only one playing it!

10. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

I wish I had my old issues.

JDeanB likes this.
  11. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

Anybody have this?

[​IMG]

• Hardcover: 272 pages
    • Publisher: Collins Design; 1 edition (1 Nov. 2007)

Between 1969 and 1988 "Creem" magazine, straight from Detriot Rock City, stood at the forefront of youth counterculture with its brazen slogan "America's Only Rock 'n' Roll Magazine". Now the Mouth of Motor City presents a retrospective of the beautiful haze that was Rock's golden age from the end of hippie through glam and punk and into 80's metal. "Creem" the book is for fanatics by fanatics. Irreverence, but not just for the sake of being irreverent-all in full-colour baby. It was created by Detroit publisher Barry Kramer in 1969 with an incredibly gifted staff of scribes, editors, photographers, and graphic artists whose work continues to resonate today, including Lester Bangs, Dave Marsh, Greil Marcus, Robert Crumb, Robert Christgau, Charles Auringer, Nick Tosches, Richard Siegel, Tony Reay, Jaan Uhelszki, Richard Meltzer, Dave DiMartino, a not so famous Cameron Crowe, and Robert Matheu. They laid waste to the stifling conventions of rock journalism with rapid and raucous reporting on everyone from MC5, Grand Funk Railroad, Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels, Blonde to Led Zeppelin, the Stones, the Clash, David Bowie, Iggy Pop, Black Sabbath and KISS.
    "Creem" magazine was known as the true music magazine for fans that followed the bands of late 60's through the 80s. It was distinct from "Rolling Stone" as it was always about the music and not about covering the latest Pop crush. Its influence spread across many rock genres and the writers coined the terms "Punk" and "Metal". Almost Famous: "The Cameron Crowe" movie put the spotlight on "Creem" magazine and its infamous writer Lester Bangs once again and it relaunched in 2003, now once again at the forefront of the music scene sponsoring tours and concerts.

Rick A.

12. Javed Jafri

Did not know about the book but I have many, perhaps most, of the issues they published at least from 1971 on wards. I think I have some from their revival in 2003 as well. The cover may have been larger on the revival editions.

clhboa likes this.
  13. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

I have this, it's an excellent overview of the magazine. If it was up to me it would be over 1000 pages long.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  14. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I didn't know there was a 2003 revival. I remember the 1990's revival. Details?

15. Creem was my favorite.

16. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I loved the Stones quiz, they published some of the funniest entries (ranging from really bad taste to hysterical) along with the answers

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  17. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

Culpa likes this.
  18. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I was a little disappointed by it. They took the covers and removed all the blurbs from them. I would have preferred to see them just as they were.

kozy814 and R. Totale like this.
  19. Yankeefan01

Yankeefan01 Forum Resident

Just requested this title from my library system, they had 1 in their collection. Gotta love libraries!

20. Javed Jafri

Possibility that I got my revivals wrong. Will have to check my actual mags. I think I have the Stones quiz as well and may post it time permitting.

21. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Thanks for the reminder, as I gotta do this too.

Darryl

22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Is that Ozzy sitting down far right ?

23. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

It's a decent book. More of a coffee table item versus a real deep dive. I worked with the main art director for Creem after his days at the magazine. He has the real stories you won't find in a book. "Charlie" was a great pal with Les Bangs. Man, some of the stuff those guys did back in the day would make the toes curl of today's rock journalist. As a teen, I read every issue. We loved the "old west" mentality. The way these guys laid out the dividing lines for the sake of entertaining the reader was brazen. But it also defined how we "wore" our music like a badge of honor. All the great rock & rollers loved Creem for their honesty and the party ethos. I need a Boy Howdy t-shirt...

24. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

when does a collection become an archive?

25. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

You know, I seriously considered getting a Boy Howdy T shirt. But I could probably number on one hand the kids in hs who read Creem also. So I would be thought of as very cool by maybe 5 other guys and everybody else would think I was really an asshat for such a nerdy shirt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.