Criterion "Bull Durham" - DVD Beaver screenshots show teal tint*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by genesim, Jun 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. genesim

genesim Forum Resident Thread Starter

First you can see glimmers of problems going back to Dressed to Kill and the strange color changes made...but you could at least say that the original creators were involved.

This latest abomination is another story.

Bull Durham Blu-ray - Susan Sarandon

While there are certain websites that I swear will kiss the feet of their suppliers and are practically blind to real issues like this, what is even worse is that the scores of fanboys who will put down a great reviewer like Gary Tooze that actually has the real story!

I mean for crying out loud, the dude is actually using a real Motley Crue T-shirt to prove the point. lol.

What a cluster... I hope there is a recall, because this is flat out shameful.

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

As I said in the July Criterion thread, I'm unmoved. All the screaming and gnashing of teeth over Midnight Cowboy were so much bluster. My copy looks great, and no my TV doesn't need to be calibrated, or anything else.

Blu-ray.com gave it 4.5/5.0, Very Highly Recommended .
    Beaver cries teal ! teal ! Oh well.

3. genesim

Sorry bud, but Midnight Cowboy this is not and Gary praised it so not seeing the point.

From Gary:

The Criterion Blu-ray is described as a "New 4K digital restoration, approved by cinematographer Adam Holender". The new HD image is significantly sharper than MGM's 2011, Region FREE, Blu-ray but colors shift to be very green/blue. I found the teal-leaning very noticeable initially but I got used to it and the improved detail is such a dramatic improvement over the older 1080P transfer. I have never seen it looks this good. There are some occasional aspect ratio anomalies between the two - with the new 4K showing a shade more in various sides of the frame. I wasn't crazy about the green cast but the restored visuals have so much more depth and crispness that it is easily the finest (of the dozen or more viewings I've had) of Midnight Cowboy. Wow, indeed.

So that out of the way do you not see the actual screens?

Something tells me when we get some more reputable sources also weighing in this will be seriously considered for recall.

Gary has rarely let me down.

4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

[​IMG]

5. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

I don't think anyone who knows the Durham Bulls can honestly say those uniforms look right. That alone should've been easy to color - what happened?

enro99 likes this.
  6. genesim

For those of that actually care about accuracy and won't accept something just because of a name brand or a website that lets their suppliers rule their truth....yeah something happened.

I was really looking forward to this one.

AlmanacZinger and Graham like this.
  7. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

They look like the Miami Dolphins.

[​IMG]

unclefred, C6H12O6 and AlmanacZinger like this.
  8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Can we wait until people see the Blu-ray for themselves before we freak out? :help:

Al Kuenster likes this.
  9. genesim

Let me get this straight, so one is supposed to buy something instead of trusting respected reviewers and not wasting your money? I actually stated that more reviews will be coming in and I am waiting to see confirmation. So I am not entirely ruling out someone being wrong.

Of course if I am a betting man I am going to go with it being screwed up. The proof is in the screen shots from multiple sources.

Though let me be clear on where I came to my conclusions. The first screen shots match what I had before, the second screenshots are made by the same person. The next screen shots were done with different equipment confirming the second screen shot. The last bit was physical evidence of the actual color of the shirt used. Deductive reasoning says there is something going on here and it ain't good.

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

As someone who's reviewed discs for almost 20 years, obviously I wouldn't say to ignore reviews.

But this is one review, and we've seen plenty of "teapot tempests" in the past.

I have no idea if the color on the BD is mucked with or not, but I think it's premature to demand recalls based on one site's comments... :shrug:

11. genesim

Maybe I should have made it clear. I hope, IF TRUE, that there is a recall.

Again, I am studying what is probable, not just the reviewer or just his comments (look at the evidence).

Also you stated that we should wait and see what people think of this. I am assuming you meant the consumer since Gary is obviously a person. What is wrong with warning the consumer of a potential foul up? Wouldn't it be wiser and better to perhaps pay attention to reviewers who often have discounted or free review copies first?

p.s. It isn't just DVD Beaver that has the "teal" look. Despite a glowing review, the screen shots actually duplicate the obvious. Score 2 to zip that Criterion messed up the blues and reds.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    Michael likes this.
  12. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

Maybe the folks who did this one at Criterion just really love teal?

13. genesim

It wasn't just teal. See the Dressed to Kill incident.

14. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Made the thread subject a bit more matter of fact for the sake of clarity.

Please continue.

15. genesim

Actually I liked how it was originally. ;) I am complaining more about the company then this one incident, but I respect the change and see your point.

The fact is that bluray.com also replicated the screen shot. More will no doubt follow. Thanks for your patience.

16. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

The best thing about this "Bull Durham" thread is it reminded me I want to watch Midnight Cowboy again!

Guildx500 and genesim like this.
  17. genesim

I haven't got this one yet, and I do think the change is striking, but nothing like this. The extras alone should be worth the buy. The old Midnight Cowboy bluray was outstanding and the fact that some extras didn't make it over, at least there is a good case to keep both.

Now the sad part is that a fantastic documentary on the laserdisc never made it over. I like how the talk was more candid there, but alas that one will likely be lost forever.

GREAT MOVIE!

Ghostworld likes this.
  18. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Main issue was that the original title ('Bull Durham what has happened to Criterion!') gave no indication that the thread was about video quality. People have a right to know the flavor of outrage on which they are clicking. :)

Billy Infinity, genesim and Myke like this.
  19. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Maybe the room the color-correction was performed in had green fluorescent lighting, causing everyone to be blind to the excessive green.

It is horrible how many movies are being tinted green lately.

20. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Criterion absolutely teal-ize some of their releases and the practice is just as bul****t as brickwalling classic albums.

Jimmy B., Regginold31, Graham and 5 others like this.
  21. genesim

Ok let me state this better. I previously had mentioned that for example my perception of what is right could be skewed. That just because there are versions of physical media released before and that is what one is comfortable with, doesn't make it correct.

I stand by this assertion. However, in this case the Tide Box color in the screen shot from two websites shows that the box is a shad of red instead of the characteristic orange look. You can also see a pumpkin having the same red color instead of orange. This is an obvious error and that is what I mainly wanted to say. This is not a particular attack on Criterion in that I don't enjoy Criterion releases, but more an indication that their standards are slipping.

22. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

I just watched the Criterion Bull Durham - enjoyed the visual presentation and liked the "look". I haven't seen Midnight Cowboy yet - am waiting as it's one of my favourite movies

23. genesim

Was the Tide box in the background red (screen #2)? Where the pumpkin pictures looking like apples (screen #5)? lol I think the color is purtrid looking but I don't own it. I would be happy if someone like you that has the film can weigh in on those particular screens. To me, Tide works their ass off to copyright an orange look and to have some technician come in and tweak it like that, has some serious color blindness issues.

Bull Durham Blu-ray - Susan Sarandon

bluray.com were calling out DVD Beaver and all I can say is if it looks like their screenshots (and this is where you can come in) or DVD Beavers than they are BLIND.

24. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

I've put the film away now - but you can definitely notice it has some sort of neon blue look like the "teal" they talk about. Like that new version of "Thief" they did. I didn't notice anything untoward with any of the other shades....

25. genesim

Well if you ever get around to it I am curious. I have been accused of just trusting screen shots so that orange Tide box is the proof to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.