Criterion Collection Favorites

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MagicAlex, Nov 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus Thread Starter

I've only recently begun to watch films in the Criterion Collection series. Most of the titles are obscure to me but what I've had the chance to view has been top notch. They certainly have reissued some of the great foreign flicks.

What's your favorite Criterion DVDs? What do you recommend?

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

It's totally a matter of preference...

I own and love...

Brazil Box Set
    Spartacus-2 DVD's
    RoboCop....un-rated!...OOP
    Silence Of The Lambs...OOP
    The Bank Dick
    Do The Right Thing-2 DVD's
    Armageddon-2 DVD's
    The Rock-2 DVD's
    The Killer...OOP
    Carnival Of Souls-2 DVD's..just perfect!
    Monterey Box-Essential!!!
    Straw Dogs-2 DVD's...going OOP Soon:)

What I remember at the moment!

3. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

Brazil

4. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Brazil
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

5. Kym

Kym Former Resident

This Is Spinal Tap OOP DVD with the running commentary from Guest, McKean, and Shearer as themselves, not in character. It is said this commentary track will never be available again.

6. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Damn it! Missed that one on DVD. Have it on Laserdisc though. Need to make a transfer to DVD.

7. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

There are a lot of great ones, Kev.

Some of my favorites:

Charade (great commentary track)
    The Killers (great 2 DVD set)
    The Lady Eve
    Man Bites Dog
    My Man Godrfey
    The Most Dangerous Game (fantastic commentary)
    Trouble In Paradise (great movie, great commentary)
    Rashomon (terrific featurette with Kurasowa's cinematographer)
    Red Shoes (great film, great commentary)
    Straw Dogs
    Brazil (wish it were anamorphic though)
    Traffic
    Rififi
    Big Deal On Madonna Street
    The Hitchcock and Bergman films
    Knife In The Water
    Tokyo Story

This is in no order, I could easily name off a lot more. I left off the OOP discs because you might have a hard time finding them.

I just got through watching Schizopolis and though it was VERY weird, I enjoyed it much more than I expected.

8. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus Thread Starter

Has anyone seen The Seventh Samurai? I thought about renting it this afternoon...but I find it difficult sometimes to get through lengthy movies when you must read the english subtitles.

9. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

I own nearly all of the Kurasawa Criterions and I love them. SS is one of the best, I feel. When I was writing up my list I thought about that subtitle thing, because a lot of people aren't that crazy about reading subtitles.

I had a heck of a time getting some relatives to watch Shaolin Soccer (not a Criterion :))because it's subtitled, but because of the visuals, they were willing to tolerate it in the end.

10. b&w

b&w Forum Resident

This movie will be anything but difficult to watch it's heavy on action and the dialog is actually minimal considering the length of the movie. If you enjoy action movies you will be stunned by the way Kurosawa moves the camera in this movie. Take in to consideration the date the movie came out and then watch it and see if you can see how many modern directors are influenced or clearly rip off his style and moves. Obviously it was the inspiration for the Magnificent Seven and Mufuni has the charisma of any of those actors from that movie. It's a great movie and a really good transfer consideration what Criterion had to work with for a print.

11. Kym

Kym Former Resident

For a music DVD, I was very impressed with Criterion's treatment of the Beastie Boys video anthology, especially with all the camera angles and loads of remix tracks!

12. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

Fear and loathing is a great disc, so is Traffic, and the out of print, unrated, Robocop. The Chasing Amy disc is good as well, but it's nearly identical to the laserdisc.

I've been meaning to get a hold of the Criterion version of Spinal Tap. I end up watching that movie at least once a week! I'd love to hear the "bands" commentary out of character.

13. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

The Third Man (one of the all time greats)
    Notorious
    Spellbound
    Wages of Fear (most nerve racking film ever)
    Cocteau Box Set (only way to get these films)
    Beauty and the Beast (lastest re-master is stunning)
    Brazil box
    Walkabout
    Naked Lunch (just released)
    The 39 Steps

14. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Criterion will be releasing one of my top 3 (or so) favorite films of all time in the next few months: Akira Kurosawa'a "Ikiru"

I would definitely recommend the "Wrong Men and Notorious Women" Hitchcock box set as it contains five great presentations of five great films at a discounted price. :thumbsup:

Regards,

15. msimonov

msimonov Senior Member

All Hitchcock movies. (especially ones with Ingrid Bergman) . Buy a box you will never regret it
    The Cranes are Flying. An excellent russian classic.
    Fear and Loathing in Las-Vegas. Johnny Depp at his best.
    The Rock. Very good sound effects and documentories.

As to "Man Bites Dog". It is filmed like a true documentory and extremely brutal. I would not recommend it as an introduction to the criterion collection.

16. aceman400

aceman400 Power to the Metal

One of my favorites is Picnic at Hanging Rock. It's an Australian Movie from the 70's directed by Peter Weir who did The Truman Show.

Aaron

17. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Two words: GIMME SHELTER. The 60's decaying on camera.

18. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I've become quite enamoured of Powell/Pressburger films as a result of Criterion's work. As much as I love watching "Seven Samurai" or "The Rock", I'd have to put "I Know Where I'm Going", "Colonel Blimp", and "Peeping Tom" at the top of my faves list. The Archers style draws me in every time.

John K.

19. GregY

GregY New Member

I wish more Criterions were available for rent by me. I usually enjoy the films but they're mostly titles I don't feel the need to own. For example, I loved A Taste of Cherry but can't justify purchasing it. The only Criterions my Blockbuster carries are the mainstream titles. Netflix is no longer an option because I can't stand being accused of stealing discs from them.

I love the Criterion Silence of the Lambs. The difference between the video on the Criterion DVD and the MGM DVD is huge and I prefer the Criterion disc. Plus the extras are outstanding.

20. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Aside from all the others already listed. I really enjoy Bergman's Seventh Seal.

21. LtPepper

LtPepper Forum Resident

Brazil set
    Time Bandits
    Monty Python's Life of Brian

I own these, but would love to find a place that has more for rent.

22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'm still working on getting "The Devil And Daniel Webster" 2 DVD set. A great movie:)
    Definetly catch that one if you can:)

23. wvk3

wvk3 Senior Member

Mona Lisa and Withnail & I are two of my favorites.

24. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

I've never heard of Netflix accusing anyone of anything.
    I started to collect Criterion DVDs but after a bit realised that though watching all of them was fascinating and enjoyable, I wouldn't be watching most of them more than once. I sold most (though kept quite a few) and am renting the rest through Netflix. I just put the entire collection on the queue (besides the ones I do or already know I want to own).

wvk3, I just watched Mona Lisa the other night. Great flick! I will buy it eventually. That and The Long Good Friday are Bob Hoskins at his best.

Notorious may be my favorite- Hitchcock, Grant and Bergman (with whom I am hopelessly in love). And the transfer and video is gorgeous.

Brazil gets a nod as having the most stuff in it out of all the discs I own.

25. wvk3

wvk3 Senior Member

Yeah, I keep wishing Criterion would put out some nice editions of other Neil Jordan pictures, particularly The Crying Game, The Miracle and The Company of Wolves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.