Criterion Collection May 2018 Titles Announced

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Myke, Feb 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Both the German Koch Media blu and the UK Second Sight blu are Region B locked, according to the Beaver.

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

[​IMG]

It's even funnier that his cigarette fell out of his mouth when he said the ad-libbed line.

IronWaffle and budwhite like this.
  3. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

The Criterion LD was great, so they certainly are familiar with the intended color scheme. Will be a great addition on Blu-ray!!

4. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Got my Midnight Cowboy disc. Nice detail, great mono sound, but my God..... it's so damn blue! Everything blue jumps of the screen. Seats on the bus, table tops, clothing, Voigt's eyes..... If this was the original filmmakers intention fine, but it's certainly distracting. It looks like Scorsese's "The Aviator". I've bought every home video release since the VHS and it never looked like this before. I'm not sure I can handle it. You're asking too much of me, Criterion.

longdist01 and Myke like this.
  5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse Thread Starter

Over at Blu ray.com, some are saying if your TV isn't calibrated correctly, that's what you'll see. I'm obviously hoping they're right. :shrug:

6. Daniel Plainview

So every other blu-ray I own looks okay but I have to reset my television settings just to watch "Midnight Cowboy"? Give me a break.

7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse Thread Starter

I have no idea, some of their screenshots look okay to me. There's also the power of suggestion where if enough people see teal, and say so publicly, it jumps out at us when we view it. Hoping that's not what happens to me.

8. Daniel Plainview

I have no reason not to want this Blu-ray to succeed. I've waited my whole life for the ultimate Midnight Cowboy experience. But there's definitely been a shift in color tone.

9. telliott

telliott Senior Member

I'm sure many of you are waiting for the annual July Barnes & Noble half price Criterion sale. Hope it happens this year.

longdist01 and deadbirdie like this.
  10. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Yes! I used to buy like 1 movie during their sales, now i'm picking up anywhere from 5-10 each sale. It's a crazy habit. Midnight Cowboy is definitely on my list for July, fingers crossed.

longdist01 likes this.
  11. telliott

telliott Senior Member

Last year, I finally picked up the Monterey Pop collection. The year before, I got "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World".

longdist01 likes this.
  12. telliott

telliott Senior Member

Heads up! It's happening now!

13. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

The "blue" is probably just the way it actually looks. Thief looks that way too. With Thief, I thought that the color was also approved by Michael Mann.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Hate digipak myself The Graduate blu Ray/digipak is only 2.1 ( 2010)the newer blu ray 50th Anniversary amaray slip cover 2017 is in 5.1.

Aside, Richard Dreyfuss
    "shall I get the cops" :D

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  15. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Sorry for the zombie thread bump, but I was looking to get the regular Blu-ray and I can assure you on my calibrated Rec 709 LG computer display the Blu-ray.com screen grabs show too much teal and orange/yellow in the 4K. I kept thinking what the hell is Criterion thinking? And it was approved by the cinematographer Adam Holender? WTF?!. It never looked like that in the theater when I last saw it decades ago.

One of the rerun channels KCWX or something close on my Spectrum cable was showing the 2012 Blu-ray version and the color and sound was perfect but that channel always reduces movies of that stature to a small rectangle with black bars all around so when the Nilson song finished I said to myself I just can't watch it like this. I'm going to hunt down the Blu-ray. It's been so long ago I can't even remember the plot of the movie so it's going to be new to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.