Croft Phono Integrated

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Art K, May 6, 2020.

1. myles

myles Argyle, before you ask ....

Straight RIAA. I'm not sure what the difference is, or if it can be done in the same case.

RemyM likes this.
  2. Frazeur1

Frazeur1 Forum Resident

I currently have the 25/7 combo, and prior to, had the phono integrated. Like many things in audio, I felt that the differences were very incremental, yet minor overall. The separates seem slightly more detailed and maybe a bit more open, but really not that much in it. If you just want simple one box, the phono integrated gets so close to the separates so why bother. I wanted a bit more flexibility down the road, yet that hasn’t come about, so I probably would have been fine with just the integrated and been happy.

I also have two Series 7 amps that I have run as mono amps using just one channel of each, with good results on my Duevel Venus loudspeakers. Again, not much difference from a single stereo Series 7 really. I really do enjoy the Crofts a lot, certainly something very addicting to their musical capabilities!

Denizen23, bhazen, 33na3rd and 3 others like this.
  3. myles

I went the following route:

25/7
    25/7 monos
    25R phono/7 monos

I found there was a big difference in each step; for example the monos introduced a lack of congestion (that I hadn't necessarily noticed before), presumably because each channel has its own dedicated power and signal path - who knows. The 25R stepped up the clarity and grip (that I hadn't necessarily noticed before!), and as I've said before the phono stage (standard RIAA) is a real plus for me.

In a nutshell, I'd have been extremely happy with step 1 - 25/7 but opportunities came my way in the shape of good value used kit - I rarely buy new - and I am happier than happy. I do wish no-one had mentioned the RIAA R though!

Denizen23 and RemyM like this.
  4. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

So next week 25RS? I've asked Glenn which upgrade he advised. He mentioned that upgrading the phono to a R would be biggest difference.

This one is for sale here.
    ≥ Croft Acoustics: Micro 25 RS Special Edition - Buizenversterkers - Marktplaats.nl

:tsk:

myles likes this.
  5. myles

RemyM likes this.
  6. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Trouble in Croft land, advice needed!

This morning I wanted to try putting the Schiit Loki Mini+ in between my turntable and the Phono in. While the Croft’s phono stage sounds very good, it is overly bassy. With everything powered off I made the connections, powered back on and listened. All sounded well, the Loki did it’s thing, and I was able to tame the Croft’s very strong bass.

When I rearranged things for this test I had disconnected my external line selector that all the other components go into since I normally connect that to the Loki and the Loki to the amp. I powered off and reconnected the line selector to the Croft’s Line 1 in and powered up again.

I resumed record playback and found the sound was horribly distorted. Then I tried a CD through Line 1 and got the same terrible distortion.

My first thought was perhaps the preamp tube went bad. I replaced it with another Gold Lion and gave it another try, still distorted.

I next connected everything back to my Luxman integrated amp and all worked as it should.

I then did a direct speaker connection to the Croft, taking my subwoofer out of the equation, but still have the distortion.

Could I have inadvertently caused a short when I tried the Loki in the turntable signal path? There was a “thump” noise when I switched between the Loki’s EQ on and off (this does not involve the Loki’s power switch). If it was a short would the result be this distortion, or would the Croft just not power up? I have now powered up the Croft several times, and in each case the Croft takes it’s normal minute to warm up and be ready, with the light going from red to green. Any advice is much appreciated.

7. GT40sc

GT40sc Senior Member

to be clear; you are placing the Loki before your phono preamp?

absolutely NOT recommended...
    turntable output MUST go into a Phono Preamp for RIAA EQ
    BEFORE you go into the Loki...

the "raw" output of the turntable is never meant to be heard...
    it will have an extreme bass cut and treble boost.
    This will be reversed by the RIAA EQ in the phono preamp.

TT out> Phono Pre Input...
    then Phono Pre Output to Loki In, if necessary...

hth,

8. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired! Thread Starter

Hmm…never found the bass from the Croft phono stage overly bassy . I did get distortion once after a power surge blew a fuse.

bhazen likes this.
  9. DigMyGroove

Thanks for your comments, this was just an experiment, and the Loki did work and the audio sounded good. But it also may have caused or contributed to this problem I’m having.

I just spoke with Gene Rubin of Gene Rubin Audio. He said he’s 90% sure the speaker fuses blew, my symptoms match that issue. I’ll go find some new ones this afternoon, hopefully that remedies the problem.

10. james

james Summon The Queen

Glad you got a reply from Gene. Good luck and let us know that you got that solved!

DigMyGroove likes this.
  11. Art K

I know this will sound weird but it’s true. Once I replaced the fuses it took several days to get right again. The distortion was gone but it was almost as though it had to run in again. Once it got some hours on it, it sounded fabulous again.

12. DigMyGroove

Thanks, good to know. I had to order the fuses from Amazon, they’ll be here later today. My local hardware store only had fast acting fuses. The ones that blew are time delay, Gene mentioned I should only replace with those.

Art K likes this.
  13. DigMyGroove

New fuses are in and the music plays on. Nice when it costs only $7.00 and free Sunday delivery was available! I’ve got 8 extra fuses now, so should this occur again I’m ready for a quick fix.

Too soon to know if it sounds “right” or some burn in will be needed as @Art K suggested. Just happy it was nothing more than the fuses.

Denizen23, sotosound, myles and 4 others like this.
  14. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

Playing one of my favorite live records ever tonight. Pressing and recording are great.

Wilco - Kicking Television (Live In Chicago)

I'm just wondering like how can it even sound better with the 25R or 25RS? I mean, it already sound so goddamn good. I think the 2M Black is a prefect match with Croft.
    Anybody went from 25 to 25R? With the normal 7 and Croft RIAA.

Two days ago i received LA Woman by Analogue Productions, just wow. That's a side problem of being happy with your set up, buying to many records and the search for the best pressing.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
    Thing Fish, Art K, timind and 2 others like this.
  15. Rattlin' Bones

Rattlin' Bones Grumpy Old Deaf Drummer

I had same problem with fuses in this unit. It blew fuse the first time I turned it on. I sold it, but wish I had kept it. Was probably not a good match for my 70's Grafyx speakers, but woulda sounded sweet with the Linton's I bought this year. I'm looking for a used unit now, as the new units are backordered well into 2022.

16. Rattlin' Bones

Rattlin' Bones Grumpy Old Deaf Drummer

That's the fun of vinyl. I stream and play CD's to listen to music virtually uninterrupted. But vinyl is a hobby finding early release that plays near mint.

RemyM likes this.
  17. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

Yep, and playing music i would normally wouldn't listen. But it's an addiction.

Art K likes this.
  18. DigMyGroove

No issues since I replaced mine, and now I have plenty of spares should I need them.

19. Art K

I love that album…Wilco is my favorite band. They are awesome live.

RemyM likes this.
  20. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

I was lent a Micro 25R by my local dealer while they fixed a problem with the volume control on my own Micro 25. I found that the R was more controlled in its presentation and .... I didn't like it. The sound was too organised and I disliked it at an emotional level.

Life can be untidy and emotions can be untidy, but that untidiness is what real life is all about.

To create order from disorder is often good in life, but if music is disorderly then it needs to remain disorderly.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  21. Thing Fish

Thing Fish “Jazz isn't dead. It just smells funny.”

Not quite what you asked but I went from a micro 25 with a series 7 amp to a 25R series 7R amp and an RIAAR. The change in sound quality literally blew my mind!
    Which got me thinking how much better would it sound if I upgraded everything to RS levels?

RemyM likes this.
  22. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

They were amazing live around that time, still but that was peak Wilco.

23. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

I think you should go for the RS Special Edition. There is one for sale here second hand. Maybe if i'm in a crazy mood at the end of the year. 2400 euro's and he's willing to give me 700 for the 25 i have. Hard to resist. Are you happy with those Spendors?

Yeah, i think that's why upgrading the RIAA to a RIAA R makes more sense for now, also according to Glenn.

24. Thing Fish

Thing Fish “Jazz isn't dead. It just smells funny.”

I bought them years ago and everytime I upgrade my system they just sound better and better. I'll never sell them. They sound absolutely beautiful.

RemyM likes this.
  25. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

Anybody know what the Micro 25 RS Special Edition brings to the table? I can get a 2017 pair for 1650 euro when I trade in my Micro 25.