Croft Phono Integrated

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Art K, May 6, 2020.

1. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

I'm in the no believer camp power cable wise. The Crofts should be a able to do that. I'm a fan of the Black, had the Bronze before but sold that after receiving the Black.

2. myles

myles Argyle, before you ask ....

So my Series 7 Monos are on their way back to Glenn on Monday. The right channel is noticeably quieter than the left - he might do some tinkering while he has them!

sotosound and RemyM like this.
  3. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired! Thread Starter

I know that there were some folks who have been interested in buying the Croft Phono Integrated but they were back ordered. I just received word that they are back in stock but in a limited number as Glenn built a few for the dealer. So for anyone still interested Gene Rubin has them back in stock.

sotosound likes this.
  4. blue_lu

blue_lu Forum Resident

My dealer just told me that Glenn stopped building...

5. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

As I previously posted further up this thread, Glenn had cut down on his workload and is now only shipping product to England, Scotland, Wales, and the USA.

He told me that shipping to Europe was too unreliable.

(Sorry.)

6. blue_lu

blue_lu Forum Resident

sotosound likes this.
  7. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

You are most welcome.

8. Art K

Also, as I stated Glenn built some units for Gene and they are available at present. How many more will be coming they don’t know.

9. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

What is the difference between RIAA and RIAA R?

10. qwerty

I have a Croft Vitale preamp, the original version from the 1980's. I'm not the original owner, and love the 1940's styling of that model (it became a blander item in later iterations, in my opinion). It has a MC phono input.

I have been very happy with it, and have done a few modifications to tweak it. I've upgraded the back RCA sockets to higher-quality versions. Although I didn't mind the dual volume controls, my significant other didn't cope with them and wanted a remote volume, so a single remote-controlled volume pot and board have been installed and work very nicely. The original input selector switch isn't high quality, I have an audiophile grade one ready to install. Glenn had limited inputs on the pre originally, and I needed more. He had a "mute" on alternate input selector positions, I've since installed more RCA sockets on the back (the holes were already there), and made use of the unused positions on the switch. Putting some dynamat on the aluminum valve bracket improved definition and imagery (but putting more on the case was overkill and degraded the sound).

When I got it I emailed Glenn and found him very helpful giving me advice and answering questions. I had heard that it was possible to do some mod's that would upgrade the pre to the spec's of the current version. Glenn didn't want to disclose what they were, preferring I sent my unit to him for upgrades (and he has a right to protect his work in that way). However, I'm reluctant to send it across the globe and to be without it for an extended period to do that. It's enjoyable as it is.

sotosound likes this.
  11. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

The RIAA R has a power supply (in same box) on is own and 5 valves instead of the two the RIAA has. It gives a bigger soundstage, more control, depth and detail. I really liked the RIAA but the RIAA R is just a step up. Glenn also advised me to first upgrade the phono with my previous amps (25/7).

blue_lu, sotosound and qwerty like this.
  12. bacobits

bacobits Forum Resident

Just snagged a Croft Phono Integrated from Gene Rubin.
    Very musical piece. I have not gotten too far into it yet, but what I'm hearing on CD Transport is super. Impressed!
    A few questions:
    Invert Phase on the cables?
    Power cables used, original? I use WyWires "Sliver Series" throughout incuding "Juice" powercables
    Speakers are Usher CP6371 had them over 10 years no intention changing. These are 90db at 4 Ohms
    not a problem driving them. Currently using a Coonus MAG II just re tubed NOS Teles and costly.
    60lbs vs 13lbs.

Art K likes this.
  13. Art K

Yes, invert phase on speaker cables at the speaker. I decided that I prefer the stock power cord and I’ve tried a couple including the LFD that I bought from Gene and an Audience. I think that it will be very much dependent on the user and their tastes. I preferred the speed of the amp with the original.

14. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

I'm curious. Why are you thinking of inverting phase?

15. effula

effula Forum Resident

A quote from a previous Art K reply to this thread... Per Croft... "It does Invert phase and the speaker wiring does need to be reversed. This is because the circuit is very simple with only one stage of voltage amplification in the power amp and every stage of voltage amplification inverts overall phase."

I got the same instructions from Gene Rubin when I purchased my Croft Phono Integrated.

Art K likes this.
  16. james

james Summon The Queen

The most recent Hi Fi podcast is all about why gear would invert phase. Explained by Darren at PS Audio. I found it interesting

17. Art K

I received this info directly from Glenn Croft.

Swann36 likes this.
  18. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

Interesting.

I understand that my Croft Micro 25 inverts phase and that my Croft Series 7 also inverts phase, resulting in speaker output in correct phase.

Are you saying that a Croft Integrated with a passive pre is a simpler beast with a single phase inversion, whereas a Croft Integrated with an active preamp stage (which can be had) should perform two cancelling phase inversions?

Also, just thinking on (probably in the wrong direction), would the standalone RIAA phono stage also reverse phase?

19. Art K

I am saying what Glenn Croft said to me. That is all.

Relative to the phono, shoot Glenn an email.

20. qwerty

I have noticed that my Croft Vitale preamp (from the 1980's) inverts the phase as well. I correct with the speaker connects on one channel of the power amp.
    I don't understand why, if this is part of the design of the amp (or preamp in my case), that one channel of the output sockets does not correct this so there is no confusion for the user.

21. Rattlin' Bones

Rattlin' Bones Grumpy Old Deaf Drummer

A year or 2 ago I tried a Croft Integrated (and posted in a few threads about it) but I didn't get along well with it. But I am now accounting for that maybe it was a mismatch to my other components. I'm willing to give it another go, but my hesitation is buying a boutique hand-built expensive (for me) bit of kit where production seems to be slowing. In a year or 2 if I have issues maybe there won't be a Croft as an active entity and I have a very specialized-build amp needing service. Plus Croft is in UK I'm here in USA so that is a logistical issue to begin with if I needed service. So while I welcome news there are some units available, I'm reluctant to make the purchase. Any comments to persuade me to make purchase?

22. Art K

Glenn is still active though heading for retirement. That said this amp has an open layout and couldn’t be easier to repair if need be. Only you can decide if it’s for you. It sure is for me. If Glenn were completely retired, knowing what I know now about this amp, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy it again. In fact if I had the dough I’d buy another just in case I won the lotto and had two systems!

23. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I bought my Croft gear in 1990 and I have had two issues with them in all those years. A couple of emails to Glenn and I was able to repair them myself.

JG

timind, Rattlin' Bones and Art K like this.
  24. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

When I bought my Croft kit, a lot of the pre-purchase mods were actually made by my local dealer. I also know that if I needed some upgrades done, my local dealer would be very able to implement them.

All that's needed is a good electronics engineer who's familiar with hi fi and amplifiers.

So, please don't view Glenn's possible retirement as an obstacle, as it isn't.

It's also possible that Glenn will keep on going for many years as I suspect that he loves his work almost as much as he loves cricket. :)

Rattlin' Bones, Frazeur1 and Art K like this.
  25. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

If you want one , 1st Croft price rise in years end of the month