Crosby, Stills and Nash (1969): Best CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Craig Williams, Jan 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Who's name is in this forum's URL? That should answer your question. :D

hodgo likes this.
  2. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Forum Resident Thread Starter

Mr Forum? Or Mr TV?

hodgo likes this.
  3. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

Yes, like I said, Barry stated on this forum that this was a flat transfer done by him from the original master. Here's the quote:

It's from this thread:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/csn-remaster-or-original-cd.82740/

So, at risk of being pedantic, the AF can't have used a better source than the original CD, since the original CD was a flat transfer from the original master! But it's likely it was transferred using better equipment, which could make it sound that way.

For the same reason, and still just being pedantic, we know the original can't have had the bass rolled off. (It was a flat transfer!) The original and Steve's AF have the same amount of bass - they're extremely close in EQ - but you're certainly right about the 1993 having more bass and the latest remaster even more than that.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Sorry, Barry didn't have the original master. No one knew it at the time but the band held the master and gave Atlantic an EQ dub. Classic vinyl version was the first to use the real tape, then Audio Fidelity.

This has been discussed here many times. Do a search.

hi_watt likes this.
  5. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

In a prior thread Steve commented he would be using the analog master that Stephen Stills apparently retained all those years (the CS&N couch album). To quote:

The band gave Atlantic a dub for their "master" back in 1969 and that EQ'd dub was used for over 35 years for all LP and digital versions after the initial cut. Only a few years ago did Atlantic actually get the real deal masters from the band. The Classic vinyl version used them, I believe that was the first use of these actual first generation mixes.. I will be using them as well for this new Audio Fidelity Gold disk version.

6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Which is why I feel my one-sided 45rpm Classic set, and the AF CD has me set for life.

7. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

Thanks, Steve, I did not know that - I was going by what Barry said.

8. matt lane

matt lane Forum Resident

Would love to buy an AF copy. Where?

Cheers

Matt

9. theanswer337

theanswer337 Forum Resident

Barry never said he used the original master tape. Re-read his post. He simply stated master tape.

Essential Barry Diament masterings (Part 2)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.