Crosby, Stills and Nash Gold CD Mastering: A day with our gracious host. PICS @ #119

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thxphotog, Oct 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Not alone in that. I used a card that actually has $ in it, because I believe this one is going OOP FAST !!! :agree:

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

No HDCD..

3. Steve Hoffman

What I think happened is that the chatter before the song was removed to the end of the reel for single cutting in 1969 where it stayed until the modern era. The first people to play the tape a few years ago possibly for the Classic Records vinyl cutting realized the chatter was gone from the beginning of the song, panicked and duped it over from another source (possibly the old EQ dub or the old CD made from same) and reinserted it into the song on the reel where it was duly mastered. At the very end of the reel (side two now that I'm remembering) we found the original and we substituted that for the inferior version that was before the song. So you might say that the chatter before the song Marrakesh Express on our new Audio Fidelity Gold CD is the FIRST DIGITAL RELEASE EVER!!

Call the NY Times and have them hold the front page.

4. Toby Latimer

Toby Latimer Forum Resident

Is the 'Come On In To My Kitchen' still intact ?

5. Steve Hoffman

Yes, of course, it is right back where it belongs. It's part of the song.

6. Toby Latimer

Toby Latimer Forum Resident

Right On ! :righton:

7. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I suspect you're right--this title should be very popular!

8. Myke

Lately, I took to watching the availability of the AF gold CDs, from the AF site, to the distributors such as Amazon, Import CDs, Music Direct, and on...and it doesn't take long to get a feel for a title about to go oop, out of stock, and then Retired. So lately, I've made a point of grabbing every title I genuinely want, thereby preventing feeding the sharks on eBay in the future. ;) And...hopefully securing future sales after I'm dead and gone, for either my son, or grandsons.

9. cwon

cwon Active Member

Have to ask:

Any bonus tracks or hidden extras?

10. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

I buy them as soon as they come out :)

11. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Not to take away anything from what Audio Fidelity has done in the past, but with the exception of the Stevie Wonder discs and maybe S&G, this has to be one of the highest profile discs they've been able to license thus far.

This one is a real coup IMO :righton:

12. Myke

I wasn't because as you know, we both ran out of money for a while there. Selling off vast amounts of a collection, only to start re-buying new gold discs isn't going to stop the cycle of insanity now is it ? :laugh:

13. Schmeig

Schmeig Forum Resident

It was mentioned somewhere on another thread there would be no bonus tracks for this version.

14. I was at the remastering session of the 'CSN' album on Tuesday. I've been fortunate enough to sit in on a couple of sessions with Steve and Kevin Gray, at the AcousTech studio, with the last one being when Steve and Kevin remastered 'Sweet Baby James' for a vinyl reissue a few years ago.

The experience this time around, with Stephen Marsh, was quite a bit different than the AcousTech sessions. Steve seemed to be much more relaxed, and at ease. He also really opened up, and shared all kinds of great stuff with us. Eating lunch right there in Stephen Marsh's studio, was a nice change of pace, and you really felt right at home in his cozy dwelling. The acoustics in Stephen's studio, are just mind blowing! At one point, when I was sitting on the couch, I could have sworn there was a speaker behind me I might have missed. When I looked behind me, there was no speaker, just wood. It was really an incredible sensation, to say the least!

To finish off the day, Stephen was gracious enough to give me and a couple of my fellow forum attendees, a tour of the rooftop of the building his studio resides in. Wow, what an incredible view. I could have sat up there for hours, if he would have let me!

Hearing the master tapes of the 'CSN' album, was unbelievable. In fact, hearing those tapes ("FLAT"), really made me realize, that in certain situations, there is still a ton of work to be done to get the sound of the end product, to sound "right". Steve and Stephen really earned their pay with the 'CSN' album. The master tapes really had/have some warts, and I can now honestly say, I have seen Mr. Steve Hoffman work his magic in person. I have zero doubt, that when the final AF CD is available for all to hear, we will all be blown away!!!

I took quite a lot of video of the remastering session, so once (if), Steve gives the ok to post here, I will make it available to all.

I also have to mention that it was great getting to meet some fellow forum members, who'd I'd never met before.

A huge thanks to Steve, and Stephen, for allowing us this once in a life time opportunity, and being hosts above and beyond gracious.

15. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Great post, Scott - now I'm even MORE jealous! :realmad: ;)

16. Nice! Any pic's or vid's taken from the rooftop?

17. Steve Hoffman

The "lunchroom" at Marsh is really neat. I could live there..

Attached Files:

18. mayoski

mayoski Forum Resident

I am going to assume that there will be no legal problem with a view of Amoeba Records and the CNN building off in the distance. :righton:

Attached Files:

19. mayoski

mayoski Forum Resident

Ditto! Great guys all!

Ditto again! I hope I live long enough for my turn to come around again. An experience not to be missed. Travel around the world to get there if you have the means - it will be worth it if you are a lover of the art.

:righton:

20. mayoski

mayoski Forum Resident

Thanks Steve! I wasn't sure if I should let THAT cat out of the bag. :shh:

21. Steve, I was telling my wife those exact same words, last night.

22. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Didn't stop me! But then again, I had to split before the red meat came out.

Jeff

23. To the right of the photo, you can see all the way to the west side, going towards Santa Monica. The view behind the building, looks over Hollywood Blvd., a block or so up the street, and into the Hollywood Hills, with the famous "Hollywood" sign, within what seems to be almost only an arm's length away. I should have taken some photos when I was on the roof, but I got too caught up in soaking in the moment.

Jeff, even though it was only very brief, it was good seeing you.

24. Steve Hoffman

It's OK, most people wouldn't find this piddly stuff interesting anyway. But, it's gotta be done.

PM me and let me see your snaps. Maybe we can post some that don't involve specifics... Lemme know what you have..

25. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, a comfy space. Probably crucial if you spend a lot of time in your work environment. No use in being miserable at work...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.