Crosby, Stills and Nash Gold CD Mastering: A day with our gracious host. PICS @ #119

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thxphotog, Oct 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

I never liked the sound of this record. Very studio like, I sense there was lots of overdubbing, no air or liveness to the mix. Deja Vu was a definite step up, plus Neil was in the fold, which made it perfect!

2. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Enjoyed the pics. :) Another thank you Steve and to Stephen Marsh for graciously allowing the event and photos.

Man, I need a hamburger like that.

And to look at that view...

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I can look at those cool pictures while listening to the CD.

4. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

I can heartily recommend the DVD-A. Fabulous sound.

5. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Been listening to the Atlantic gold disc, getting primed for the AF. Will be interesting to hear the upgrade in sound.

6. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Broke out my little cardboard box myself, last night. :cheers:

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Presumably the 2006 CD also used the masters; that might be a more interesting comparison.

8. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

You may have a point here. The CD credits on the 2006 remaster read:

"Original 2-track analog master tape transferred to HDCD digital audio by John Nowland at Redwood Digital, Woodside, CA"

"Original 8-track master tapes reviewed by Stanley Johnson at Sound Satisfaction, Burbank"

"Bonus tracks mixed from the original 8-track master tapes by Stanley Johnson, with additional digital editing and assistance by Greg Hayes, at Signet Sound, Hollywood"

"Mastered by Bernie Grundman with Stanley Johnson at Bernie Grundman Mastering, Hollywood"

"Tape archivists: David Merchant for Crosby, Stills & Nash and Mike Johnson for Rhino Entertainment"

Although it doesn't say, I guess that the "8-track master tapes" that were reviewed were just the ones they added as bonus tracks. (There's that word again - "master" - people use it for everything. I've never thought of an 8-track tape as a "master".)

I am wondering a couple of things:

1) If the AF version will return Dallas Taylor(?) to the "back cover" shot.

2) If we will get the "Come in my kitchen" bit at the beginning of "49 Bye-Byes"...or if the "Robert Johnson police" will have something to say.

Actually, it will also be very interesting to compare it to my original Atlantic CD (Barry Diament mastering as I recall?). I've always liked the sound of that one the best. (Based on what Steve is saying, it would have been mastered from a copy.)

But I really like the packaging, presentation & extras in the 2006 release. This would be my 3rd copy of this on CD. Honestly, I can't see myself holding on to that many! :sigh: :eek: (I know, I know...only 3 copies is nothing...)

9. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Have listened to this album since 1969, when I hear the AF, I will know what it delivers. Really looking foward to it. :agree:

10. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I agree for the most part, but I wouldn't rave at all about the sound quality of the first song. I hear quite a bit of seemingly unintended distortion on the vocals.

The second song though, and the rest of the album are to die for.

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I like Barry's Deja Vu a lot, but in my opinion a lot of the debut CD doesn't sound good at all - way too midrangy. I had previously preferred the Gastwirt overall (the gold and stock copies are the same, FYI), but now I'm curious to compare that to the 2006 again.

JoshM likes this.
  12. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Thanks to forum member Randy for snapping this:

Attached Files:

13. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Is that you, Groovy?

14. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Yup!

Jeff

15. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

You missed the burger..

16. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

Yeah, that burger was good. Thanks!

I'm really looking forward to receiving this CD. I've got all my other discs and LPs lined up in anticipation (although I think I know how this might turn out..). ;)

17. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Don't let Ray Manzarek see the mention of 78 rpm vinyls! :D

18. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Great pics!

19. A label shot of my cherished CDN Atlantic LP.

Have owned this pressing for over 3 decades now and only played it a few dozen times.

First recorded to a chrome cassette in the late 70s and then needle dropped in 2008. :D

Fantastic album and really looking forward to this new AF Gold CD mastering.

Attached Files:

20. thecrokid

thecrokid Active Member

Hello,

We're writing about the order you placed on October 20 2011 (Order# 103-8603033-9178604). Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below has changed, and we need to provide you with a new delivery estimate based on the new release date:

Crosby, Stills & Nash "Crosby, Stills & Nash"
    Estimated arrival date: December 06 2011

We apologize for the inconvenience caused by this delay.

Got that today. No big deal though there's still a lot of music to listen to between now and then.

21. sonnysin168

sonnysin168 Forum Resident

I got the same message from amazon. I'm wary of December shipping as I've had experienced items damaged from shipping during the holiday season.

22. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i quickly looked, but did not see, is the crosby snippet of "come in my kitchen" back on this version?

23. evad

evad Well-Known Member

Yes, many posts back. :righton:

24. rjp

rjp Senior Member

thank you

25. thecrokid

thecrokid Active Member

Crosby, Stills & Nash [Gold CD]
    Crosby Stills & Nash (Artist) | Format: Audio CD
    Price: $16.45 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. Details
    Special Offers Available
    Pre-order Price Guarantee. Learn more.

This title will be released on December 13, 2011.
    Pre-order now!

Another weeks delay? Are they taking out any other letters that we should know about?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.