Crosby Stills & Nash on CD or Hi-rez

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turnaround, Oct 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member Thread Starter

Can someone point me to the best sounding CSN discs to buy for their early albums and songs? Is this coming out on hi-rez anytime soon?

Thanks in advance!

2. Tim Casey

Tim Casey Active Member

They only had two studio albums ("Crosby Stills and Nash" and "Deja Vu") and one live album ("4-Way Street") before Neil Young left them and they started having sporadic releases, usually with only two members. All three of these albums sound very good in their current CD form. I haven't heard of any hi-rez versions coming soon.

3. reidc

reidc Senior Member

There was a rumor floating around of a 2 or 3 DVD package of live stuff, but I can't remember if it was in time for holidays or not :confused:

As for hi-rez- their label is not into SACD at all, as Atlantic(WEA) does DVD-A if anything.

For Redbook- some here prefer the re-masters, and some prefer the original issue CD's. There was a gold disc version of Crosby, Stills, and Nash released by Atlantic, but it can be pretty pricey now. That was a good version sound-wise.

As for myself- for sound I would rather find a real clean original of Crosby, Stills, Nash(that says 1840(or 1841) Broadway New York on the LP label and dupe it to CD-R. For Deja-VU- if you do a search- there is some info here on the best vinyl version of that.

Welcome!
    Chris

4. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Steve recommended the following CD for Deja Vu:

Atlantic A219118, "Printed In USA", with "red ring" label on the CD, (c) 1988, no mastering credit

This is the 2nd version of Deja Vu on CD, and it came before the Joe Gastwirt remaster (which is no-noised).

5. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Try Graham Nash's Songs for Survivors DVD-A, it's pretty awesome.
    As far as CSN/CSNY hi rez, don't hold your breath.

6. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

I recommend the Crosby, Stills, and Nash LP on vinyl from Classic Records. I have the 180 gram version and it sounds great. I assume that if you get a quiet pressing the 200 gram version, which is available now, should sound the same.

7. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

How's the sound quality on the four (or is it three) CD box set that came out about 5-7 years ago?

I've got some nice sounding vinyl and would like to know if I should take the box set plunge...

8. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

There is also the long out-of-print live album entitled Allies. It's pretty hard to find on CD. Perhaps it's easier to find on vinyl?

9. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

I don't have a high end rig but the CSN (and sometimes Y) box set sounded very natural to me. For me, the number of alt. versions of songs on the first two records was an unexpected bonus and is reason enough to seek the box set out.

I used the love 4 Way Street and have been on the verge of pulling the trigger to get it on CD. Anyone know if 4 Way is also no noised?

10. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

The "Box Set" of 3 DVD (Videos) is just a packaging of the 3 DVDs available individually.

AS for HiRez CSN(Y), while N and Y are Hi-Rez Guys, they don't seem to have the time to get to the things that they wanted to do. At one point, Nash said on his website that Deja Vu would surface as a DVD-A. However, that was some time ago, and lately he has not commented when asked.

The next thing from them was going to be a live issue of the last CSNY tour, now they are focusing on the CN tour for the next release.

Interesting that the double CN issue that just came out was NOT available in HiRez. Not a good sign...............

11. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the gold cd of "crosby stills, & nash" is excellent, although very pricey as someone said and quite hard to find. if you can't get that the remaster is better than the original cd.

"deja vu" - there is a japanese HDCD version out there. it sounds great, although there is some audible hiss.

get the remastered '4 way street" just for the additional four songs that weren't on the original vinyl or the japanese Cd.

the 1977 "CSN" is, in my humble opinion, as good as the first CSN. 12 tunes all excellent. highlights "shadow captain" and cathedral". the remaster is fine.

"allies" is very, very hard to find, but it contains 2 studio rarities - "war games" and "raise a voice" only available on thisand the rest of it was live.. for some reason they were not on the box set.

the third CSN "daylight again" is, for all intents and purposes, a stills/nash album. this was when crosby was at the low point in his life of drug abuse. the 2 crosby songs 'delta" (not a bad tune) and "might as well have a good time" were literally pulled out of him by jackson browne. they even used guest vocalists on this album.

hope this helps,

renny

12. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I remember somehow (and I'm working from memory) that the HDCD of Deja Vu is really mastered HOT and has audible distortion?

13. Vintage Season

Vintage Season Active Member

"They even used guest vocalists" is an almost criminal understatement. Stills and Nash originally planned to use Art Garfunkel (!) as a third vocalist, in lieu of David; when Cros became able to participate, Graham and Stephen scrapped most of Art's vocals and relegated him to "guest vocalist" status. Of course, there were a host of other "guest vocalists" in the credits, to keep him company.

I've always wanted to hear Daylight Again as it was originally conceived.

- M.

14. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

another stoney evening(?), crosby + nash/live, is avail on dvd-a.

doug

15. reidc

reidc Senior Member

Hey- I got two of these on CD! One I bought brandy-new from Japan with the OBI. I still have the OBI buried inside the case. Saw one sell on Ebay and couldn't believe it.

I also have a domestic Target Allies. Has a grey-blue label with red-orange text. Kinda weird looking. I haven't compared the sound, but I know both are from the 80's.

Chris

16. KeithH

Great! I got the Japanese release (catalog number AMCY-135, as I recall), and it's great. Note that it has the target design too. Both versions are quite rare. In my experience, the West German target comes up on eBay more frequently.

By the way, you mentioned an eBay auction for the Japanese target. You may be recalling the auction I won from a few months ago. I paid $102.50 for the disc, and I believe it was the last copy to come up on eBay. As I said, the West German target comes up more frequently, and in my experience typically goes for $50-80.

17. reidc

reidc Senior Member

Hey Keith-
    I remember one went for a pretty high price- I thought I remember one even higher than what you paid!

My target must be the West German version.

When I bought my Japanese version- I bought it because I always liked CSN, and I was of the opinion that- since JPN vinyl pressings were much better quality than domestic- the CD's must be better as well. Well- now we all know a CD is a CD is a CD- but its ALL in the tape being used and the mastering!

I also had a Japanese version of 4 Way Street upon first release in Japan. It didn't have the bonus tracks, and I paid something like $45 or $50 way back when. I traded it in at least two or three years ago, and got a whole $5.00. I believe its still sitting on the rack, and I am thinking of buying it back!

18. KeithH

More than what I paid! Wow! As I said, the Japanese AMCY target is very difficult to find. Is your Japanese disc a target? What is the catalog number? The only Japanese release I am aware of is the AMCY target.

By the way, I've been told that there is a difference between the West German and Japanese targets. Apparently, the West German target is missing the opening downbeat on "War Games." It's complete on the Japanese target. I don't have the West German disc, so I've never done the comparison myself.

19. Vintage Season

Vintage Season Active Member

On the one hand it feels like I got a bargain, since I paid $6 for a slightly scratched West German copy (someone had obviously been using the disc in a slot-loading car player; fortunately the scratches don't affect playability/readability) a few years ago. On the other hand it feels like I've been a fool, since I saw a second copy of the disc for $9 a few weeks ago and didn't get it (since I'd forgotten that my copy had scratches). Ah well... at least I can still enjoy listening to this one!
    I just extracted "War Games" to check, and it appears there could be an opening downbeat removed; the fade-in is extremely short (21ms from digital silence to the first full-scale peak) and sounds a little abrupt. But then I've never heard the opening of Allies any other way, so this didn't seem as suspect as it otherwise might. :rolleyes:

Here are my complete track times for the West German target disc (given as minutes:seconds.frames):

00:00.00 -> 00:00.32 digital silence (0:00.32)
    00:00.32 -> 02:21.42 War Games (2:21.10)
    02:21.42 -> 04:54.50 Raise a Voice (2:33.08)
    04:54.50 -> 10:13.02 Turn Your Back on Love (5:18.27)
    10:13.02 -> 16:28.57 Barrel of Pain (6:15.55)
    16:28.57 -> 21:13.45 Shadow Captain (4:44.63)
    21:13.45 -> 26:12.70 Dark Star (4:59.25)
    26:12.70 -> 29:15.20 Blackbird (3:02.25)
    29:15.20 -> 33:14.57 He Played Real Good for Free (3:59.37)
    33:14.57 -> 36:36.00 Wasted on the Way (3:21.18)
    36:36.00 -> 42:21.50 For What It's Worth (5:45.50)

Catalog number: Atlantic 7 80075-2
    Matrix number: 7567 80075-2 2893 192 01

Hope this is of some use for comparison/identification....

- M.

20. reidc

reidc Senior Member

I will check out mine tonight!

Chris

21. reidc

reidc Senior Member

Ok-
    I have both versions in front of me, and was gonna EAC em. I am having a brain cramp to go along with my old-fart eyes, and can't figure out how to get the individual track info with peak levels on EACH track in EAC.

I did my Jpn CD, but the log didn't break down by track, only overall and CRC.

My West German is Atlantic made by Polygram. Label is a weird shade of blue, gray, and green. All text and the Atlantic graphic is silver, and the round graphic near edge and across middle horizontally is red. Atlantic 7 80075-2.

My JPN is normal silver CD, all text and Atlantic is in black. It has the same red graphic near circular edge and across middle. AMCY-135.

Chris

22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

It's one of the best sounding Deja Vu's out there...OUTRAGEOUSLY OVERPRICED on ebay!

23. KeithH

Chris, load a CD in your CD drive. Then highlight all the tracks. Next, click on "Test Selected Tracks" in the "Action" menu. That's it. It will take several minutes for analysis of an entire disc. EAC will then show the data in a window. To save the data, click on "Create Log" and input a file name.

Both of your Allies discs have the infamous WEA "target" design. For more information on these discs and other targets, go here:

http://www.ralphscomiccorner.com/cdjwg2.htm

24. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i have a burned copy of the HDCD "deja vu" and really does sound good.

renny

25. reidc

reidc Senior Member

Hey Keith- Thanks!!!

I thought that "targets" were supposed to be all colored on the labels- guess I was wrong. I will check out the site a bit later, and I wanna test my Allies.

Besides- the SOX should be coming on in a minute. :righton:

Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.