Crosby, Stills, or Nash

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, Sep 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjp

rjp Senior Member Thread Starter

David Crosby
    Stephen Stills
    Graham Nash

this could be interesting :)

2. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

These three are also running for California governor? Why, I voted for David Crosby, of course!;)

Jim W.

3. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

I saw them in concert this year. Crosby was by far the funniest.

4. Fortune

Fortune Senior Member

The thing wouldn't let me vote but I assure you...if I could vote I'd let a chad hang for...

CROSBY!!!

He's lived the life. I can make an estimated guess that out of 100 VH1 Behind The Music's he's in at least 15 of them! If you want to know what happened during the 60s he's the guy to ask...provided he can remember.

Oh yeah, and his music is pretty damn amazing. Harmonies too. I'd vote for him based on "Almost Cut My Hair" alone.

5. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Nash justs seems to be a really nice guy, someone you could sit down and talk to--right, Renny?;)

6. Mark H

Mark H Senior Member

Stills gets my vote,because I see him as more of a rocker than the other two. Nash has written some great tunes but his voice tends to irritate me at times. Crosby is the one rockstar of his generation who may have more lives Keith Richards.

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Where is Young?

8. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

All three, equally in harmony. That's why they are who (whom?) they are. And, I can't vote, either. I think it's an AOL thing.

9. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець

10. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

Stephen Stills - Southern Cross is one of my favorites.

11. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Nash- Immigration Man wins the vote alone.

12. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

I would like to be friends with Nash, but I refuse to vote.

13. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

Went with Nash, mostly because of his involvement with the Hollies.

14. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Nash is such a great guy - I mean when Crosby was wasted, he stepped in and bought his songs so no one else would. He stood by him through thick and thin, and acted as a referee for the 3 (or 4).

If Young was in the poll, it would be no contest, but in this case I have to go with Nash, although each one is worthy.

(Seein' 'em next Wednesday!! :D )

15. sgb

sgb Senior Member

What he said.

16. rjp

yes he is jimbo, yes he is :)

renny

17. rjp

come on now steve, everyone knows neil young is only a part-time member :)

18. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Nash.

I hear his voice saying "Hello" every day. :)

19. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Had Neil been included he would have won running away....but, seeing as he ain't there, I'll go with Stills, who I think is the best overall writer and musician of the three. All are very talented, of course, but can you imagine Stills writing "Our House":D...Didn't think so....

ED:cool:

20. ksmitty

ksmitty Senior Member

A very tough decision as each of these gentlemen have contributed so much throughout their musical journey's. If you consider some of the music from other bands they were a part of anyway like "Buffalo Springfield" , "The Hollies" , etc. The harmonies from them are like magic
    at close listen. I hope that they keep on touring for years to come. I can't really say I like much of their studio work the past 10 years or so though.

21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I picked Crosby but, I would have picked Young:)

22. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

I voted for Stills. My brother saw him at our local 7-11 after a show, getting a slurpee. A man of the people. :) Plus, his first solo album is vastly underrated, as is his half acoustic/half electric live album from the mid-70s. And he wrote "Bluebird". Good enough for me.

23. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

A sweet song. I lived in a shared hippie house in the country in 72; it was just like that. So for me, that song brings back a very nice memory.

It's a tough call, and I think they were great together, but individually could not rise to the same level. That said, Graham Nash's "Songs For Beginners" is better than solo albums by Steven or David, so that's my vote.

Regards,
    Geoff

24. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Oh, cool. It couldn't be closer.

Regards,
    Geoff

25. Matt Ellers

Matt Ellers Senior Member

GRAHAM NASH!

Why? Consistency.

Nash - amazing, TIMELESS songs like Teach Your Children, Man In The Mirror, Military Madness, and yes, the saccharine but perfect family man anthem Our House. You can't call Woodstock or Ohio timeless, much as I love 'em.

Stills - the most talented and indeed a musical GENIUS for sure (does it get any better than Bluebird from the Buffalo Springfield?), but often self-indulgent, even in his prime (Black Queen, anybody? - one thing the blues AIN'T, is funny) and the most declined (a shadow of his former self for the past 20 odd years) and at times artistically bereft.

Crosby - Beautiful voice, likable personality, artistic self indulgence (this guy put out Mind Gardens, people - that ALONE hurts his credibility). Also, am I the only fan who always skips Almost Cut My Hair?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.