Crossroads Guitar Festival 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bonddm, Mar 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imthetxman

imthetxman HardMediaMan

Yup... waking up my whole household right now 8am!! Sounds awesome. There’s a setting to toggle between stereo and surround. Using the surround. Really great

2. ABBDutchFan

ABBDutchFan Forum Resident

Ordered the 6Lp boxset from JPC in Germany, can't wait!

imthetxman likes this.
  3. imthetxman

imthetxman HardMediaMan

Noticed online that Joe Walsh and Billy Gibbons also played this event. Wonder why they didn’t make the release?? Assuming it’s record company rights ********...

4. RC1

RC1 Forum Resident

Received my 6LP set last night, haven't listened yet, but really disappointed in the insert. 4 pages, not much in the way of credits, no essay, smattering of pictures. Certainly expected more for $100+.

5. onm3rcur7

onm3rcur7 Forum Resident

Any reviews on the blu ray yet? Does Susan look and sound as wonderful as always? :love:

longdist01 likes this.
  6. imthetxman

imthetxman HardMediaMan

It all looks and sounds pretty good to me.

longdist01 and onm3rcur7 like this.
  7. onm3rcur7

onm3rcur7 Forum Resident

8. imthetxman

imthetxman HardMediaMan

9. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

I just completed watching the BluRay in 5.1.

Audio and video quality are excellent, with the video editing allowing you to see exactly what you want to as a guitarist trying to cop some licks. Numerous times in the course of the film, you get long close ups of both right and left hand guitar techniques. This is guitar geek heaven!

The audio mix is not as slick sounding as in previous concerts. The older concerts show you musicians on stage, playing live, but the audio has a studio sounding slickness that comes from lots of post production work. This gave the previous concerts a larger than life feel to them.

This concert, in contrast, has an audio presentation that puts you right on stage in the arena. It’s a documentation of the music as it sounded when recorded. It’s deliberately not enhanced, and little glitches ( like a touch of microphone feedback) remain.

I really enjoyed this, and happily add it to my collection of these concerts.

longdist01, OE3, imthetxman and 2 others like this.
  10. onm3rcur7

onm3rcur7 Forum Resident

Are you 100 percent sure the previous blu rays had post production work?

11. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

Not in the sense that I talked to a producer, but the previous concerts have a “produced” sound totally different than the 2019 Blu Ray.

longdist01 and onm3rcur7 like this.
  12. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Any more reviews of the LP boxed set?

13. onm3rcur7

onm3rcur7 Forum Resident

Watched the first Blu Ray today. Loved the more intimate stage. Really nice and special event as usual. Some great performances!

OE3, longdist01 and imthetxman like this.
  14. ABBDutchFan

I listened to the 6LP boxset and the 3CD set. I really like them and i'm glad i bought them but i think i liked the previous editions even more. Some random "observations", some of which have already been stated by other forum members (and sorry that the words "strange" and "odd" pop-up quit a bit:

- As stated before the production sounds different than previous Crossroad Festival sets. It has a more warts & all kinda vibe. Has it's pros and cons.
    Sounds like 100% live but sometimes some guitar and keyboard solos sound very low in the mix. Might be a bit disappointing for that specific musician
    and/or his fans.
    - The 4 page insert in the 6LP boxset is indeed a bit disappointing. Oddly it even contains lesser images than the CD booklet.
    - Odd that the 3CD has no tracklist on the back side. Only a small hype sticker on the front mentioning a handful of the artists. Commercially speaking
    i think that was bad decision. It's not an artistic choice because the tracklist is on the backside of the 6lp box.
    - Also odd that 2 songs on the 3CD set ("Going Going Gone" by Doyle Bramhall II with The Tedeschi Trucks Band and "Everything Is Broken" by Sheryl
    Crow and Bonnie Raitt) can not be found on the 6LP boxset. A poor decision especially since there's plenty of room on the specific LP sides which look like
    the shortest of them all!
    - Therefor even stranger that the 6LP boxset has a track called "Sideways" by Citizen Cope which is not on the 3cd.
    - Maybe due to the difference between sequencing the LP sides compared the cd format but Robert Cray's "I Shiver" is on a completely different spot.
    - Regarding the minimal liner notes in both formats: as a result there's a lot of info missing of who's playing / guesting on various songs. Audley Freed isn't
    mentioned on the covers of the cd and lp sets but thanked by Sheryl Crow at the end of the song.
    - No contributions on these releases by either Joe Walsh and Billy Gibbons, the latter's "no-show" on the cds and lps even stranger since he's credited as
    performing in the booklets (...appears courtesy of...). Maybe he's playing on the essemble encore of "High Times We Went" by far the longest track.
    - Length of the songs are mentioned in the 4 page LP insert but not in the CD booklet. One of the album's highlights "Shame" by The Tedeschi Trucks Band is
    actually 3 minutes longer than the 4 minutes plus mentioned in the LP insert.
    - While reading some festival reviews i concluded that some great performances are missing. Understandable because these releases contain only a
    selection of the performances but also sometimes disappointing. I for instance would have preferred hearing Los Lobos perform “Made to Break Your
    Heart” (on which Susan Tedeschi and David Hidalgo sang verses while Clapton, Hidalgo and Cesar Rojas traded solos), over yet another rendition of
    "Layla" as much as i love that song.
    - "Purple Rain" is listed as Eric Clapton & ensemble but it doesn't have an ensemble of guests back on stage!
    - I wonder if Eric Clapton minded Buddy Guy playing "Cognac" a song about alcohol and reefer and a "lets all get drunk" kinda vibe. Maybe an odd choice on a festival for the benefit of a treatment centre of alcoholism and drug addiction.
    - I know that a lot of people complain why Eric Clapton always seems to invite Sheryl Crow to perform her best known pop rock songs but her extended
    performance of "Everyday Is a Winding Road" has actually one of the longest and raunchiest guitar jams on these sets.

Rock On!

Jam757, OE3, highway and 1 other person like this.
  15. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

Yeah but the CD set was great. Would have loved it if the mix was better.

16. MikeMusic

MikeMusic Forum Resident

Just picked it up on
    Sky Arts, Freeview channel 11 in the UK
    - perhaps repeated Brits !

Excellent
    People I've never heard of I will be investigating further

17. onm3rcur7

onm3rcur7 Forum Resident

To add to the "oddness" of things... the blu-ray booklet has on its first page a picture of joe walsh performing and yet, he is nowhere to be seen in the video....

longdist01 likes this.
  18. imthetxman

imthetxman HardMediaMan

I think Billy Gibbons was there as well. I've not been able to find out why neither he nor Walsh were included on the blu-ray. I assume it's related to their respective record company contracts not allowing for it. But that's purely a guess on my part.

longdist01 likes this.
  19. varanger

varanger Forum Resident

Considering the extreme low price for for the 6 vinyls would it be anything gaining by aquiring the vinyls over the CD set soundwise ? Can we assume the vinyls are just the CDs transferred to vinyl and that they are the same soundwise?

20. screechmartin

screechmartin Senior Member

I just watched the Blu-Ray of this. "I Wanna Be Your Dog" is billed as being Doyle Bramhall II and the Tedeschi Trucks Band, but I don't think any members of TTB are on stage. Certainly, Derek and Susan are not there during the song. Lead guitar on the song is played by Doyle and a guy I don't know and who is uncredited (he is very good). Perhaps this is just Doyle's regular band. The bass player looks 14.

OE3 likes this.
  21. ABBDutchFan

I haven't bought the DVD yet but from listening to the 6LP set i was already wondering about that. Couldn't make out Derek's typical guitar tone nor any indication Susan was on stage either. So i thought maybe other members from the TTB. But their horn and backing vocals section could be easily determined not to be present either. Just checked some amateur video on youtube and it looks like it's Doyle's regular band. Another odd mistake regarding this release (which is still great!).

OE3 likes this.
  22. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

The 6LP set is cut by Chris Bellman, who is not listed in credits. (Bob Ludwig is.) Likely mastered for LP from 192/24 files at Bernie Grundman’s in Hollywood. I have the set and it sounds great. The performances are excellent too. Sure, the meager 4 pps. 12x12 insert is flimsy and there are no inner jackets (poly-lined black sleeves), but I’m not complaining. I also like the album art. I’ll take this set for what it is: a charity project. With stellar sound! Go forth and investigate.

Jam757 and longdist01 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.