Crowded House General Purpose Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Atmospheric, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I'd agree with you except that my own feeling is that the two latter day CH albums sound more like NF solo albums (notwithstanding the fact that Time on Earth mostly is a solo album) than they do CH albums. For me, the CH sound I love died with Paul Hester.

OptimisticGoat and BadJack like this.
  2. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sadly, I've missed many opportunities to see CH and NF live. I suppose now with the Fleetwood Mac deal, it's gonna be a while before NF heads out onto the road solo. I hope I get the opportunity to see NF live. I'll go out of my way to do so.

Looking back, I think the Finn Brothers effort was what kept me from appreciating Neil's work. Man, I tried a couple of time to get into that record and just don't like it. Although it's been enough time that I'd be hard pressed to say exactly what I dislike about it.

Anne_G and mikedifr0923 like this.
  3. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

Which Finn Brothers record the first one or the second "Everyone is Here"? Of the two, I find the second to be an easier and better listen. Solid songs throughout. The first one is more of a slog. Good tunes but the tempos are rather flat. Maybe try the Neil Finn and Friends 7 Worlds Collide record. Great live performances of his solo, SE and CH stuff.

Ryan Lux and mikedifr0923 like this.
  4. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Collecting Neil and CH has some real gems:

5. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

A very unusual Dylan arrangement :

rockinlazys and Paul H like this.
  6. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

You know what, they say that running order is critical to an album. Nowhere is this better illustrated than on Finn (or Finn Brothers, depending on territory). I find that I really enjoy the first half and then the album dies after Niwhai. I took the liberty of revising the running order and, really honestly, it transforms the album.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  7. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident Thread Starter

s/t first one.

8. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

I've always liked Finn -- it was my gateway drug to the world of the Finns -- but I'm curious at your revised order -- I do agree that the second half is weaker.

Anyway I love all things Finn -- Split Enz, Crowded House, both Finns solo work and the Brothers' work.

Speaking of revised running orders, using the outtakes from the Deluxe CDs and Afterglow that came out a couple of years ago, I have made an excellent "lost" Crowded House 96 album playlist from the Together Alone outtakes, the 94 sessions and the 96 Recurring Dream sessions. It totally rocks, in a mid-nineties kind of way:

1. Newcastle Jam
    2. Taste of Something Divine
    3. Help Is Coming
    4. I Am In Love
    5. Convent Girls
    6. Instinct
    7. You Can Touch
    8. Anthem
    9. I don't Know You
    10. Loose Tongue
    11. Spirit of the Stairs
    12. Everything Is Good For You

Eska68, DEAN OF ROCK and primejive like this.
  9. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I find Dizzy Heights a surprising album. I don't think it sounds much like Crowded House at all; I think he is sounding very adventurous (and that is not to be taken as a criticism of Crowded House at all). Strangely, the more unusual tracks seem to be concentrated in the first half of the album, with the later tracks sounding more like "normal" CH-style songs.

As for Crowded House, I like some of their albums more than others - I love Woodface, but am not a big fan of Temple of Low Men. However I'd like to put in a word for their final album, Intriguer, which I think is as good and as varied as anything they ever did. Sometimes I think I prefer it to Woodface.

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  10. steelvelvet20

steelvelvet20 Forum Resident

I still like 'Don't dream its over' from 1987. It peaked at a disappointing #27 in Britain, but was much more appreciated stateside.

primejive and Lance LaSalle like this.
  11. Apollo C. Vermouth

Apollo C. Vermouth Forum Resident

If you want a really good Tim Finn album, this is the one to get:

Before & After (Tim Finn album) - Wikipedia

Great album that he did after his brief time with the band on Woodface and for a very short stay on the tour with the band supporting the Woodface album.

Timos, Mooserfan and Atmospheric like this.
  12. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist Location: Irrelevance.

Nick Seymour. What a truly fabulous bassist.

KngCrmsn22, Anne_G, BwanaBob and 7 others like this.
  13. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

Mentioned this in another thread, but outside of the early Crowded House hits I really never knew much about Neil. With all the praise on here after the Fleetwood Mac announcement I have started exploring CH, solo and Finn Brothers and have become obsessed. Loving everything so far. Really enjoy his first solo album. Quickly becoming one of my favorite artists.

14. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I don't have any fascinating insight into the band to bring here but I own pretty much everything done by Crowded House as a band, and also by Neil and Tim individually .

I did see Crowded house live twice though (2008 and 2010) and they were really great both times and the band wasn't big enough to play huge places so both shows were pleasant experiences all the way around.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  15. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

I am watching the anniversary show at the opera house right now, he’s great!

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  16. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

The 1991 "Live At The Town & Country Club" still needs to be officially re-released for retail. Not to mention, there are numerous high quality live recordings from each period of their pre-2007 career which need to be officially released. Most of the fan club discs and boots are of a very high quality and could easily be released by a competent label.

17. Margrave

Margrave I'll Give It 5

Looks like a lot of love for them in this audience.

Always Take The Weather Had me hooked the moment I first heard it.
    It's a perfect song, The lyric There's a small boat made of china going nowhere on a mantelpiece is absolutely brilliant.
    I've been a big fan of everything Finn brothers ever since.
    The live CD from this Fatboy still gets regular plays here.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  18. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist Location: Irrelevance.

If you listen to some of their songs, Nick Seymour is truly outstanding and he does great work on them.

Don't dream it's over - The bass is syncopated and counter-melodic all the way through, then on the last verse it picks up a pace beautifully. Genius.
    The deep cuts that were not singles. A joy to listen to.

Anne_G, Timos, Dan C and 4 others like this.
  19. planetexpress

planetexpress Searchin' for light in the darkness of insanity.

such a fun live band. Last time I saw them they encored with A Day in the Life. Failed to find a video of it but discovered this cover instead. Sweet!

Anne_G likes this.
  20. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I have a Split Enz compilation CD titled 'History Never Repeats' that, along with the vinyl for True Colours, got me through a couple decades. I love so many Crowded House recordings a basic best of would have to be at least 2 CDs. Four Seasons In One Day, Distant Sun, I Feel Possessed, Fall At Your Feet, World Where You Live, 7 Worlds Collide...

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  21. planetexpress

planetexpress Searchin' for light in the darkness of insanity.

Just to add, I've always enjoyed Tim's solo take on this Woodface cut (from the bonus DVD of Imaginary Kingdom):

DEAN OF ROCK and factory44 like this.
  22. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Forum Resident

The first 7 Worlds Collide disc is outstanding and kind of got lost in the post 9-11 psychic shock freakout

23. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

Woodface is a genius level thing.

24. My gateway was the original vinyl back when it was released. Then the CD. Then the CD/DVD combo. Then the expanded edition. God I've got to stop buying the debut.

12stringbassist and mikedifr0923 like this.
  25. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

No one is holding a cell phone so they can all use both hands simultaneously and focus on the band on stage with no distractions.

Sometimes, memories are more precious than a thousand pictures.