Crowded House General Purpose Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Atmospheric, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Margrave

Margrave I'll Give It 5

Now here's a version I never thought I would listen to ,but it's quite good.

2. planetexpress

planetexpress Searchin' for light in the darkness of insanity.

Poking around youtube I discovered this video I hadn't seen before. I don't consider Crowded House a cover band by any means but thought this one was kinda funny:

Anne_G, hernan-r, Groovy and 2 others like this.
  3. Margrave

Margrave I'll Give It 5

Brilliant I had not seen that before either.:edthumbs:

mikedifr0923 and planetexpress like this.
  4. planetexpress

planetexpress Searchin' for light in the darkness of insanity.

Apparently they played a second song:

mikedifr0923 and Atmospheric like this.
  5. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident Thread Starter

Absolutely. I find his playing very McCartney-esque in the best possible sense. Wickedly inventive without calling attention to itself.

One of the things I love about Neil is this playful psychedelic sensibility that pops up very frequently. Sort of like Magical Mystery Tour / Sgt. Pepper Beatles stuff. It's always very tastefully done.

BTW, I'm also a bassist. This is really OT, but what's the deal with a 12-string bass? I know the guy in Cheap Trick plays one. Three courses of strings for each conventional string?

6. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist Location: Irrelevance.

Four normal EADG bass strings, each paired with 2 drones, tuned an octave higher. My 12 string bass page is at www.ianedmundson.co.uk - hope that helps.

7. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident Thread Starter

So you fret and pluck all three strings for each each note?

12stringbassist likes this.
  8. Michaelpeth

Michaelpeth Forum Resident

For me, Out of Silence is just about the best collection of songs that Neil has written, including the CH stuff (and I love CH). Love is Emotional and Terrorise Me are both absolutely sublime. I was hoping so much for a tour with a small orchestra, I'm pretty disappointed by the Fleetwood Mac idea, although I can understand why he's doing it.

Anne_G, Lance LaSalle, moeson and 2 others like this.
  9. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

I wish they would do RSD cd of Live at The Town and Country Club

10. Captain Keefheart

Captain Keefheart Forum Resident

Together Alone is just a perfect album to me. I was obsessed with it for a long time.

Ernold, Timos, mikedifr0923 and 7 others like this.
  11. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist Location: Irrelevance.

Yes. :)

12. therunner

therunner Forum Resident

Mark Hart's sublime guitar on "Fingers Of Love" from 'Together Alone' makes this one of my favourite Crowded House tracks.

13. therunner

therunner Forum Resident

check this out for funny Neil Finn covers: Venus (Shocking Blue) and You Sexy Thing (Hot Chocolate)

14. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

DEAN OF ROCK and Sean like this.
  15. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Just a heads up for those that are interested:

"Originally issued on CD in 2010, The Very Very Best Of Crowded House is set to make its long-awaited vinyl debut on 12 July through Capitol Records/Universal Music.

Due for release in a glorious gatefold sleeve including notes & printed inner bags, The Very Very Best Of Crowded House has been compiled & cut from original analogue master tapes at London’s legendary Abbey Road Studios to 2 x 180-gram heavyweight black vinyl LPs.

We at Crowded House HQ have heard the test pressings and can confirm they sound magnificent.

A special limited edition orange vinyl version will also be available at key physical retailers across the globe.
    [​IMG]
    Boasting 19 tracks, the collection documents Crowded House’s period with Capitol Records/EMI which began with their self-titled 1986 debut and concluded with their 2007 reunion album, Time On Earth.

The Very Very Best Of Crowded House was a Top 20 hit in both Australia and New Zealand on its initial release in 2010 and it attracted considerable international acclaim, returning to the Australian ARIA Top 5 in 2016 around their 30th Anniversary ‘Encore’ performances on the steps of the Sydney Opera House.
    Classic Rock’s review remarked, “It's hard not to be wowed by this back catalogue of golden pop genius” while the BBC declared, “Crowded House have a catalogue that features so many gems that they should be held in the high regard primarily reserved for acts that came before them, the likes of The Beatles and the [Rolling] Stones.”

Tracklist – 2LP

Side A
    “Something So Strong” 2:53
    “Weather with You” 3:44
    “It’s Only Natural” 3:30
    “Chocolate Cake” 4:01
    “Fall at Your Feet” 3:18

Side B
    “Distant Sun” 3:51
    “Better Be Home Soon” 3:08
    “Four Seasons in One Day” 2:48
    “Don’t Dream It’s Over” 3:56
    “Mean to Me” – 3:16

Side C
    “Locked Out” 3:17
    “Don’t Stop Now” 3:54
    “Pineapple Head” 3:29
    “Instinct” 3:09
    “Fingers of Love” 4:26

Side D
    “Private Universe” 5:39
    “Not the Girl You Think You Are” 4:10
    “Nails in My Feet” 3:42
    “Pour le Monde” 5:10"

16. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

A good album, certainly, but missing the song I consider to be the best from Woodface, “She Goes On”. Also of course it has nothing from Intriguer, which was released later and which is my personal favourite CH album.

17. Michaelpeth

Michaelpeth Forum Resident

I realised this is a CH thread, but its a bloody shambles that Try Whistling This isn't available on vinyl.

Its about time Neil got wheels back on the CH car and dusted it off for another go. I've had enough family stuff for now.

18. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Yes and no. Enough of the family stuff, but I would be happy to get more Neil solo albums. Anyone else a fan of Dizzy Heights?

mikedifr0923 and Michaelpeth like this.
  19. Charlie DJ

Charlie DJ Forum Resident

Love Dizzy Heights - saw him on that tour too. I think the tickets were $18 (and no Fleetwood Mac songs were played) :hide:

mikedifr0923 and Lance LaSalle like this.
  20. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

HUGE fan of Crowded House here. I wished Neil Finn drops that awful FM idea and went back to his band.
    World class songwriter indeed. "Temple of Low Men", specially, is a masterpiece.

21. Jaffaman

Jaffaman Senior Member

Surely an artist can work on whatever project they wish to if the opportunity's there. He'll return to Crowded House when the time's right. Neil's been working on a project with brother Tim for a while, performed concerts with Crowded House in 2016 and released seven Deluxe Editions, released a solo album in 2017, released and toured an album with Liam in 2018, toured with Fleetwood Mac last year, is touring again this year and has other projects planned. He's making the most of his time on Earth without pretending it's still 1986!

Anne_G, mikedifr0923, btltez and 5 others like this.
  22. wrappedinsky

wrappedinsky Forum Resident

Neil is awesome. I always cite my CH show in '11 or so as the best concert I've ever been to. Any love for Try Whistling This? What a great album. This is the first track, The Last One Standing:

She Will Have Her Way is also a simply gorgeous tune. Give it a listen if you haven't ever checked out the full album.

23. petercw2

petercw2 Forum Resident

True story: The song you're referring to is "Lester"- a grand short tune Neil wrote just after a close call with his good puppy dog.
    When Crowded House was in town for Intriguer I was lucky to be part of a pre-show meet & greet. The band had been openly taking requests on the tour, and when I met Neil, I made mine. A week prior our dog died of old age and we were bummed, I asked if he would play Lester. He looked surprised I even was aware of the song and said they'd consider it.

Well, halfway through the show, he did. It was amazing. Even better it was added to the official live recording "North America Travelogue".

24. dthomas850

dthomas850 Forum Resident

I'd love to see Try Whistling This & One Nil both released as 2LP deluxe versions with bonus tracks, now that would be incredible!

25. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

did the band know it or did he play it solo?