Crucial Reggae / Dancehall Post The Year 2000

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by beenieman, Apr 4, 2020.

1. beenieman

beenieman Senior Member Thread Starter

Found this today. Kabaka Pyramid raps versus Kabaka Pyramid deejaying. Weird and wonderful. He's actually a pretty good rapper.

Kabaka Pyramid - Kabaka vs Pyramid

2. 20 years ago, Sly & Robbie released a double CD by Innocent Crew. TABOU1 put it out in Europe and VP released a single CD version in the US. Great riddims and Innocent Crew were a riot to work with

3. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Quest spinnin live now -

zphage likes this.
  4. beenieman

Govana - Believe Me

From his 2020 album called, bizarrely, Humans & Monsters Are Not the Same.
    He's had a number of great, and succesful tracks in recent years.

5. beenieman

Another from Govana.

Gyal Clown from 2017.

6. beenieman

Lots of good songs in the last few years from Jahmiel. this was released 1 hour ago.

"Bullet kill boy anuh never Corona but yet still dem cya get nuh funeral"

Jahmiel - No Funeral

7. beenieman

Sikka Rymes - Wul It Out [Vybz Kartel & Shawn Storm Tribute]

Sikka is a fairly new artist. He would have been a toddler when Vybz first hit the scene. Here he is singing about freeing "Worl Boss" (Vybz Kartel).

I read comments saying that when he gets out Vybz should be Prime Minister like Nelson Mandela when he got out of prison. Not the same thing from my view.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  8. beenieman

Sikka Rymes - Change Gonna Come

And here's a reggae cover of Sam Cooke's classic.

9. beenieman

Steppaz Riddim Mix

Mix by DJ Easy Muzik Ryder. The riddim is produced by Buju Banton for his Gargamel Label.

A riddim you can play over and over.

PLAYLIST

Buju Banton - Steppa
    Agent Sasco (Assassin) - Stepping Out
    Tony Curtis - Play It Selector
    Ghost - Love Again
    Delly Ranx - Sexy Attitude
    Vershon - Run Wanted
    Bling Dawg - My Struggles
    Mitch - Always Protect
    General B - All For The Money
    Nitty Kutchie - Real High

A lot of 90's deejays showing they can still ride a good riddim with relative newcomer Vershon sliping in there.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  10. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I have some catching up to do here, but while we're on Buju Banton I wanted to post this recent BBC 1Xtra session (he performs new songs "Steppa" and "Trust" in it, as well as some classics). I am not a very big fan of his growling and grunting singing, I think his voice is better suiteded to deejaying, but having said that, I really enjoyed this clip, it is a very good performance by both him and band. What I like about these live-in-the-studio sessions is that without audience the artists have to perform the songs "properly", meaning for example actually singing (or deejaying or whatever) the vocals without all the interjections and interuptions that are part of an actual concert performance.

Here is also a new track that appeared a week ago (for 4/20): Buju Banton - Ganja Man (Audio)

Last edited: May 1, 2020
  11. beenieman

The volume of songs released is overwhelming isn't it. Plus I don't just listen to dancehall or even just 21st Century dancehall.

And sometimes you hear something that you just play over & over.

I only heard this a few days ago and I've been thrashing it ever since.

It's a mix so it's unlikely anyone's going to try it who is not already committed. But I'm not sure anyone venturing to this thread to try something totally new. All of those posting seem already engaged in the music. Which is cool in terms of conversation.

Here's:

World Government Riddim Mix (2020)

by DJ Easy MuzikRyder

On the mix:

PLAYLIST
    Vybz Kartel - World Government
    Demarco - Sinking Boat
    Chronic Law - Cyaah Stop
    Laden - Murder Rate
    Rygin King - New Machine
    Sikka Rymes - Loyalty
    Shawn Storm - No Sketts
    Squash - Mighty
    Daddy1 - Trending King
    Teejay - High Grade
    Kash - Heights of Great Men
    Lisa Hyper - Gaza First Lady
    Ding Dong - Fi Wi Dancehall
    Madd One - White Hunta Flyght
    Bluugo - Guns Work
    D'Judge - Press Conference

Surprised to still hear lyrics about bone marrow flying in 2020 (Laden).

12. beenieman

OMI - CHEERLEADER

Released in 2012. I loved it as soon as I heard it. It actually got remixed and became an international hit in remix form. The original is superior.

For reasons unknown he didn't seem capable of much by way of following this up.

13. beenieman

Jah Vinci, in addition to having a great name, has had a lot of great tunes.

From 2016 on Emudio Records.

Jah Vinci - Rising To The Top

willy likes this.
  14. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

The Govana & Sikka tunes are good. That Jahmiel though, brutal. Not something I'd return to.

15. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I haven't heard a lot, but what I've heard is alright. This is where I heard him first:

This is from an album that I have advertised before (like in the Crucial Reggae thread), also seen in picture in the clip: Various - The Biggest Reggae One-Drop Anthems 2015

That's not a very exciting title, and it's a shame they couldn't think of something else, but maybe it was the best way to get attention. The earlier titles in this series were compilations of already released material from a given year, but this one (which is the last) is not, it is a collection of new recordings that, from what I understand, where put together specifically for this album, everything is produced by Clive Hunt and it is really good, in my opinion.

"Cheerleader", the remix, was everywhere for a while, I play in cover bands and played it a few times, but I don't think I had heard the original at the time, or really understood it's origins. I too like the original better, but they are both good and the remix definitely has more hit factor to it.

I mainly listen to more modern stuff to keep up with what's going on and don't become totally out-of-date, the old stuff is my main interest (and then Reggae is only a part of my over-all interest), but I do enjoy it and now and then there will be stuff I really like. Having said that I will probably mostly post very obvious stuff in this thread (but which I hope will then maybe also mean that it will be in some sense "crucial").

I do hope some people not familiar with this stuff also do check in, which is also a reason to post some more obvious and mainstream examples. Unfortunately this subject doesn't seem to attract much interest, but I'll try to keep posting as long as it is going.

I saw Duane Stephenson live in 2017, I think it was, so he was active then at least. It was at a festival and I spent most of the gig some distance away waiting in an interminable line to get some Jamaican food, so I didn't really catch the intricacies of it...

Just a late comment on this about Etzia, not that it really matters, but I found an old promo blurb where it was mentioned that she has roots in Panama and Trinidad, so that was what I had managed to twist into her having some heritage from Jamaican - I mean it's all the Caribbean anyway, right? ;)

I think the guy commenting on YouTube just made a bad sentence, I believe what he meant to say was just that he "wants to see some love" for Etzia from people in Kenya (as I guess that's also where he is sending out this request from), that is my interpretation. I can be wrong and I guess I could just ask her on Facebook, but as I don't really know her that well it would seem a bit random. :p

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  16. beenieman

I downloaded that album, along with the rest of the series but I don't think I ever played it. I didn't realise it was a set of original tunes. Like I said Jah Vinci attracted me first with his cool name (ditto Jahronimo:)) but in 2019 i just seemed to come across a lot of songs by him.

Of all places I first heard Cheerleader when I was checking out what was new on a farm in Saskatchewan. It's such an infectious tune. I agree the remix is excellent as well. I think it was a hit in any form. I do think the original had the better video though.

I probably listen to Jamaican music about 70%, mainly recent stuff because I enjoy it. I do like Jamaican music going right back to the 60's though and sometimes I'll just listen to older stuff constantly for a while. Other than that I'm, like many on this board, into rock up to around 1990. I've got threads going on soul & gospel too.

I value your, and others, contributions and enjoy the conversations that those already into the music provide. But I have been waiting for someone to say something like "I saw this thread and thought no way but then I listened to some of the stuff posted and OMG it's great". It's gonna happen some day right?

I'm posting what I like. i think if I try to post what I think others might like I'll probably end up pleasing no one:D

He does seem quite active still. I thought he wasn't releasing much anymore but that does not seem to be the case. He'd just fallen under my radar.

:D I think you got her origin story pretty much right.

17. beenieman

Probably my favourite Jah Vinci track.

Jah Vinci - Never Give Up

A can't fail riddim mind you. Take Time Riddim from 2019.

18. beenieman

:D

19. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I didn't realize at first either. There had a been a break in this series for a couple of years and then this came out, something about it seemed different, it had a more unified sound and I didn't see the songs anywhere else, it was also much better than ususal! :)

This is one of the best tracks from the album, for which there is also a video, Jah9's "Feeling Irie", a fantastic song (which I'm sure I have posted somewhere before), I think it has flown a bit under the radar even for her fans, since it is hidden away on this album and is not on any of her own releases:

I'm a Rocker to begin with, I just dabble in Reggae on the side really, but the dabbling has taken over more and more. :)

This thread has made me listen to a lot more newer stuff lately than I usually do, which is the effect it's supposed to have I guess! (I've seen you other threads, but those go a bit outside my areas of knowledge.)

One can hope!

20. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Here is another one by Jah9, "Steamers A Bubble", although it's one of her more well known songs it's very hard to find in physical form as it was only ever on a 7" single (now out of print and crazy expensive) not featured anywhere else that I know of (except on a couple of limited self-released singles compilations sold on her site, which again are long gone, never seen one for sale):

The "Inna De Yard" of the chorus refers to a collective of musicians recording in the yard of Earl "Chinna" Smith (they are seen in the video, not sure if it's any of them actually playing on the track), they have made a series of mainly acoustic recordings: Inna De Yard

The project was later extended into a film, based around the making of an album, featuring a bunch of Reggae legends: Inna de Yard: The Soul of Jamaica - Wikipedia

21. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

A last one from Jah9, "Avocado", I think this must have been the first track I heard from her. A nice groove and I also love the simple but effective lyrics, it's all very fun and cute but also quite clever how it loops around into a cycle:

The album this is from, New Name, was produced by RoryStoneLove, I'll probably find reason to get back to his productions, I like most things he's done.

22. beenieman

I haven't enjoyed Jah9 as much as I feel I'm supposed given the positive feedback she gets. That's not to say I dislike her, I enjoy just about everything reggae to some extent, but she is not a favourite.

That said Steamers A Bubble is my favourite of hers to date.

23. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Keeping with the theme of my last post, here is one that apart from including fruit is something very different, Jada Kingdom's "Banana". I think Jada is a very interesting artist, she doesn't really sound like anyone else that is around, at least out of JA.

This songs is a bit raunchy, but still it is nothing like some of her other songs which, once you have deciphered the heavy patois delivered in her husky half-whispered voice, will make you blush all over! Although her lyrics can be very explicit they are also very much grounded in empowerment on own terms, I understand that she has been subjected to assault in her life, so I think some of it can be seen to be a bit about taking back control. Here is a link to a song, "Execution", which deals with the subject of child sex abuse, with a video shot to focus on the words and not on her (it's explicit): Jada Kingdom - Execution (Official Music Video)

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  24. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Jada's style is quite varied and I'm not sure she even fits in this thread, it is grounded in Reggae and Dancehall but there are lots of other influences going on such as Jazz and 90s R&B (she has been compared to Erykah Badu). Here is one that maybe suits the thread better, “Best You Ever Had”:

I can see how she isn't necessarily for everyone just because they like Reggae, for example her music is very "wordy", she started out as a poet and some of her vocals are like poetry readings converted into melody. I liked her earlier material better, the latest album (which we had a track from posted on the first page) hasn't really clicked for me yet (at least the really new tracks, it has some songs on it which have been out for a long time, some for years, and those I already liked).

25. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Here’s a live session where you can hear Jada in an acoustic setting which puts her vocals on display and leaves room for some improvisation. Songs she does are “Banana” (including a Harry Belafonte quote), “Love Situations” (including “One Time”, “Medicine” and “Best You Ever Had”) and “Business”:

The lyrics are very sanitized here, you have to imagine that most of the time when she sings “love” the original lyric has a different four letter word…;) Here is also a live clip of her freestyling (well not really, she mostly uses lyrics from her songs, but melodies) over given riddims (be advised that after she asks “Can cuss?” she does): Jada Kingdom – Reggae Special-Session 2019