Crucial Reggae / Dancehall Post The Year 2000

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by beenieman, Apr 4, 2020.

1. beenieman

beenieman Senior Member Thread Starter

I see in the comments for this video that it is Part 4 of a series of videos starting with Love Situation.

I'll definitely check this out. Previously I'd only really heard Banana.

2. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

The previous three videos for "Wull On", "Love Situations" and "Unwanted" form a story, in that order, although the first of them came out last, so the idea was developed along the way. I hadn't noticed there was a link in this and I'm not sure there is, but possibly as in "Unwanted" she imagines the man she has killed is resurrected and maybe here it is supposed to show her waking up from what was a dream...? The later video for "Medicine" ends with her tripping over and then getting rained on with bananas, as a hint for what was coming, so there's lot of that stuff going on. Maybe all of her videos are actually linked and I'm just not getting some of it...o_O Her videos are all quite "arty" and first video "Love Situations" caused a bit of controvery because of the blood and gore.

With Dancehall you also have to have some clash, I have posted some Shenseea before, the two were once friends but are now having a classic beef, Shenseea apparently dissed Jada at a concert late last year, it was on a Saturday and on Monday morning Jada was out with a fully formed and very vicious come-back track, "Shen-Heng" (wordplay on "shen yeng", which is what Shenseea's fans are called), complete with artwork having Shenseea in a noose...:eek: Shenseea being arguably the bigger star with a lot of her audience being international I think elected to not carry it any further with a response track, which I think was probably for the best because I'm not sure she would have been up to the task (it's old news now anyway).

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  3. beenieman

Here's something different. The video was released 12 hours ago but the song goes back a couple of years.

Chiney KiKi feat. Jupitar - One Lyf

I liked the song anyway but the video enhances it.

4. beenieman

The Love Situations video was a tough watch. I get the message though.

Another version of the story is provided in the comments:

So she killed her man in "Love Situations" developed a mental issue in "Unwanted" then went to prison, came out fly out to another country and meet a new man he cheats again and about to die in "Wull On". Then she runs from the police in "Best You ever had"

5. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I thought the video to "Wull On" was supposed to show the back story to "Love Situations", but yes it is actually a new guy she meets, I wasn't paying attention, so she is a serial killer then... :sigh:

The suitcase from the trip here (which seems to have gone to Cuba) is then present in "Best You Ever Had", so yes it does in fact seem to be a continued story in the order they came out. Now I'm thinking everything is meant to be linked, at least up to "Banana", I have to rewatch stuff for clues...

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  6. beenieman

And there are people saying they've got nothing to do under lockdown :D

7. beenieman

I did spend some time watching Jada Kingdom videos last night :)

This has an old school sound.

Chevaughn - Sing It With Me

From 2013.

8. django68

django68 Forum Resident

Have to confess a lot of post-2000 JA music leaves me cold, particularly sounds that have moved away from the traditional reggae style. This is an excellent example of a veteran from the early 60s still sounding as good as ever; Cornel Campbell from 2013:

zphage likes this.
  9. beenieman

I've been enjoying this. Beenie's still popular and can still produce a good song.

Beenie Man - Preacher's Daughter © 2020 Produced by Konsequence Muzik.

Electric Sydney likes this.
  10. beenieman

I've always liked him. Very old school.

11. beenieman

Ginjah - Never Lost My Way

Another special voice. From 2016 and my favorite song of his. The video seems to be in Suriname.

12. beenieman

Talk about an unusual artist. Like many others he started off under the auspices of Vybz Kartel.

He's described his style as "Gothic Dancehall". He's been accused of being inspired by the Devil.

This from 2019 on the Conquest Paradise riddim.

Tommy Lee Sparta - Blessings

13. beenieman

Let's stay with the same riddim (conquest Paradise from 2019) with a very underrated singer who just keeps getting better.

Singer J - Prayer

14. beenieman

So many underrated artists.

There are several songs I could have posted from Deep Jahi and probably many more I've never heard.

A unique artist.

15. beenieman

Ziggi--Ganja Smoke In The Air

Lyrics:

Got my sensimilla plantation inna the hills,
    me no want no crackpipe, rastaman no swallow pill..
    marijuana smoke is what's comin through my window sill
    a ganja empire I&I a build
    police find 8000 gram a white last night.
    somebody drop it on the coast off a helicopter flight.
    dem suspect rasta and dem neglect me rights
    and raid me house at night wid gun and flashlight

Ganja smoke's in the air
    man a no joka smoka
    coke promoter fi dissapear
    the highest grade's over here
    man a no joka smoka
    crack supporter no come near

Me a no cocaine pusher
    me nah import nothin and me a no distributor
    all me have is one pound a sensi inna the rover
    and one pound wha stock under the livin room sofa
    dem find 2 pound a ses inna the backyard
    4 pound a sensi inna me girl car
    dem nah find no cocaine wha dem a search for
    why u a pressure the farmer man star

there's a 50 grand reward for information that proves rasta's involved
    if a ganja u a look for, gwaan tell the judge im guilty as charged

16. beenieman

I thought I-Wayne would have had more hits than he has but after a great start he seems to have faded out.

Here's on of his best. Could be more sympathetic though. Feels like he's blaming the women to me.

I-Wayne - Can't Satisfy Her

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  17. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Rasta doctrine is very patriarchal, so that's expected. Killer tune though.

18. beenieman

In light of the above here's Ishwana using Peter Tosh's song to ask for equal rights for women as well.

19. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I thought for a while I would have to step in with some ladies again to stop the sausage fest. ;)
    She's not really using the Peter Tosh song beyond the title phrase, what she is using though is actually Pop-megastar Ed Sheeran, as the riddim is his "Shape Of You". This is telling in that it is showing how Dancehall has influnced mainstream Pop, but also how Dancehall artists then in turn are incorparating those (what some might view as) diluted Dancehall-Pop sounds back into their music making, instead of building directly on their own traditions.

This song caused quite a bit of controversy, a female asking for equal rights (in a gender sense, which is far from what Tosh was talking about) is perhaps in itself going to rub some Jamaicans the wrong way, but when combined with a demand for oral sex it was way too much, not only with Jamaicans but also some old-guard European Reggae fans, who can be just as old timey and conservative. Traditionally anything besides straight "baby making" sex is frowned upon in Jamaica, so paradoxically although Danchall lyrics can be some of the most sexually explicit you will find anywhere (and Ishawna sure does her bit with that) there are also some of the strictest "rules" when it comes to what is taboo. "Nuff ignorant people a go cuss this" she says, and true enough there were several angry answer songs created.

Here is an example (if I understand it correctly) of denouncing oral sex, Mr. Vegas' 1999 monster hit "Heads High":

In the video for Shenseea's "Blessed" that I posted earlier, in one of the first scenes when she sings "first thing in the morning, when I wake up", she is seen in bed with another girl, another thing that was of course controversial with the community, it is good to see that some artists are trying to actively challenge all these old taboos.

Quite a bit of revisionism going on in episode two of the Legacy series of videos the Marley Estate are putting out (for the 75th Anniversary) called "Women Rising", where they try to for example make the argument that Bob and The Wailers were including womens liberation as part of what "Get Up, Stand Up" was about, I don't think feminism was on their minds...

I really like that song, classic riddim too ("No Warrior", Junior Delgado), I guess I never took the lyrics too seriously, they seem almost absurd in their caricature characterisations, if one does take it seriously, which I guess is actually the point, the sentiements aren't exactly attrative...

A very weird thing, as even the most hardcore (and slack etc.) Dancehall artists would still make themseleves out to be God fearing, to claim inspiration from the Old Dragon would be alien to most and seems made up only to cause controversy. Most of the things I have heard from him I have thought is quite awful, mostly because of the vocals (which I guess are maybe supposed to sound "evil" or something, it is just silly), some of it has also sounded like third rate Metal set to a Dancehall beat, but you picked a rather untypical song in that it is a slow and sweet ballad style song.

Again not a very typical Beenie Man track. I'm not sure what to think of all the deejays thinking they are also singers... Nowadays the lines are fluid I guess but Beenie is from an earlier generation when deejays weren't necessarily expected to be able to sing, and many of them therefore aren't...

While I'm also more a fan or the older styles, Jamaican music has to evolve and not be a museum piece and I try to stay up to date with what is going on. If I want to listen to Cornel Campbell, regardless of if he still makes good music, I think I would much rather put on some of his vintage recordings, and listen to newer artist if I want to hear recent music.

I don't normaly consume much music via videos, but I have admit that there is much to like about the visuals of many of her videos... :love:

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  20. beenieman

There's no doubt she's thinking of Tosh's song with this though she doesn't bend Tosh's lyrics like an answer song would. I'm not in touch with the likes of Ed Sheeran so thanks for the heads up on the link. I often here a pop song in the background and think hey that's copying a dancehall song I've heard before realising it's the other way round. I did think about posting one of the answer songs as well.

I don't think there's any misunderstanding about what Vegas is singing about. I remember when seeing that the big song in Jamaica was by a new artist and the track was called Heads High. I thought it would be about Jamaicans holding their heads high/black pride. I smiled when I actually heard it.

Agreed.

Most definitely. Hypocritical. It took a while for the Marleys to get on top of their PR but they are quite the smooth running business now. I remember the resentment, in particular against Rita back in the 80's and 90's.

I-Wayne's Can't Satisfy Her. The song hit because of the lyrics (great track though) and was controversial. I don't think it's meant to be absurd, though 7 is too young for puberty, and in general is quite accurate. But it wouldn't have hurt him to show a bit of sympathy for the girl.

Tommy Lee Sparta. Yeah. that wasn't very typical of him. I do like some of his harder tracks though. I'm not sure if he's supposed to be a comedy act or not. It's certainly over the top. He is very popular though and I suspect a lot of people are laughing.

I think the key to Beenie's longevity is there is no such thing as a typical track for him. He's adapted to every style going in the last 20 years and invented a few himself. He's been singjaying or singing for a long time.

I liked the Cornel track and I'm glad he's still getting the chance to make some fresh tracks. But yeah he's not doing anything new. A shame he doesn't get much opportunity to sing on new rhythms.

Jada Kingdom. Thanks again for pointing me to these. I got quite involved with them.

21. beenieman

This is strange. But enjoyable. More Tommy Lee.

Angel performed by Tommy Lee Sparta, Alexx Antaeus and Steven Wilson of New York Polyphony.

22. beenieman

Beenie Man - No Woman No Cry

Given comments on anti woman sentiments here's Beenie asking for abuse of women to stop.

I will and recall
    Boy
    Yeah yeah
    No woman no
    Oh nah nah nah nah
    How would ya feel if a man kill ya mudda and ya sistah?
    No investigation, never whisper
    'Bout who don di rape or di kidnapping
    Don't even have a clue, who do di murder
    Dem tell mi is di time of de master
    Time heal pain, time nuh heal anger
    But fi mi family mi haffi stay stronger
    Mi put mi arm around me daughter
    Haffi nuh run now kid
    Come on little sister, don't shed no tears
    We have to find the perpetrator, no matter how many years
    Women is da life that you giving to da kids that you having
    That make the future so clear
    But it's the choice dat dey making and the friends that they keepin'
    That make di evil out der
    But anyway
    No woman no cry (No woman, no woman, no no)
    Too much woman dem die (Everyday,…

23. beenieman

They never should have broken up. Classic tune.

T.O.K. - Footprints

24. beenieman

Latest Corona song.

Teejay Konshens Shenseea Ding Dong Tarrus Riley Kemar Highcon Kash Romeich- We Rise

25. beenieman

I do like a lot of the songs that Tommy Lee Sparta makes though I certainly don't understand where he is coming from. He's very popular.

Tommy Lee Sparta - My Redemption Song