Crucial Reggae

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jackie P, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Jackie P

Jackie P Music Addict Thread Starter

Halloween special!

[​IMG]
    Scientist Rids The World Of The Evil Curse Of The Vampires (LP)

Produced & arranged by Henry 'Junjo' Lawes
    Rhythm tracks laid at Channel One
    Mixed at King Tubby's by Scientist (on Friday 13th June 1981)

Sparse heavyweight rhythms played by Roots Radics, dubbed out by Scientist with an added sprinkling of some appropriate sound effects.

There are 10 tracks in all including dubs to -
    The Wailing Souls - 'Oh What A Feeling', 'Firehouse Rock' & 'Bandits Taking Over'
    Michael Prophet - 'You're No Good', 'Hold On To What You Got', 'Youthman', 'Love & Unity' & one other song I can't identify.
    Wayne Jarrett - 'Bubbling'
    Johnny Osbourne - 'He Can Surely Turn The Tide'.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  2. Mick8535

Mick8535 Active Member

My favorite reggae album of all time is "Orthodox" by The Rastafarians.

I've been listening to dub and especially roots reggae for 35 years or more. I love the get down and dirty stuff, which to be honest, this record isn't, not really. Its almost kind of poppy, even a little slick, yet it's perfect.

The songs are great, every one of 'em. You can listen to this album over and over. It was one of the records that launched my life-long love of reggae music (the other one is Marley's Survival album).

Here is a YouTube link to listen to the whole thing:
    (Not sure where one can buy a copy of it)

Back story:
    I was at a friend's house many years ago, around 1985, he and I were fellow dishwashers at this crappy high class restaurant. The day I was fired for eating food I wasn't supposed to touch, he had me over to "blaze" at his apartment, said I needed to chill. The green factor sure helped me feel better, yet his 33 RPM record of The Rastafarians he threw on the turntable blew me out it the water!!! Changed my life.

The other album he played for me was Dennis Brown, The Prophet Rides Again The Prophet Rides Again - Dennis Brown | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic . Oh my!

3. buzzlulu

buzzlulu Forum Resident

Going crazy trying to figure this one out as my forum and Google searches shed no light.
    The streaming services (Apple Music etc.) have a 28 track CD available on Shacklow Records (?)
    Type this term into Google search
    Satta Massagana (Original Jamaican Mixes) [Deluxe Edition]

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/satta ... 1413899426

Where does one find this CD? Is it considered any good? I have the original Heartbeat Forward Jah however I quite like this massive 28 track selection.

Anyone?

4. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Admittedly I know zero about itunes, but to me that looks like a bootleg collection, the band's label being Clinch, most of that music has been released without the group's permission since it was recorded so it's hardly a surprise if it is a bootleg, as for the quality of the music pretty much everything they recorded is excellent. Guillaume may well have a definitive answer about the itunes collection as he's released some of their music.

5. buzzlulu

buzzlulu Forum Resident

Thanks for the reply
    I already have Guillaume's Satta compilation - need to dig it out again however my memory says it is strictly the dub versions.
    This one is quite nice.
    What is the definitive Abyssinians compilation which has the best track selection and quality? Guillaume?

6. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Are you after CD or vinyl?

7. buzzlulu

buzzlulu Forum Resident

Either - whichever had the best sound/track selection

8. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I'm guessing that Satta thing is a digital release only (I see that it is also on streaming sites, so I'll check it out when I have a moment).

Clive Hunt's Azul label originally released a version (unofficial) that used this artwork, and it has more recently been reissued that way (not sure if it is really the the same label so far apart, maybe bootleggers using the name), there was a JA press that I used to see around (Discogs says 2013) and it has again been reissued this year on red vinyl, again one I see here and there, so maybe it has something to do with that lineage?

As for Abyssinians compilations there aren't that many (their output isn't that large to begin with, quality over quantity), but this is one that came out quite recently and it has some of the material that is added to that so called Deluxe Edition (it's cheap too): The Abyssinians - Satta: The Best Of The Abyssinians

9. buzzlulu

buzzlulu Forum Resident

10. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Yes, that is probably the best option for the original album on CD. :thumbsup:

You can then add the compilation I linked for some of the singles, and there is also a recent expended CD of second album Arise: Abyssinians* - Arise

Not sure though what you mean by "3 additional tracks", the original Heartbeat release had four bonus tracks (so 14 total), and the Deluxe Edition adds four more (for a total of 18), so if you ordered the one pictured you'll be getting eight additional tracks, hope you get the correct one.

11. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

The Universal and Heartbeat releases pretty much have things covered.

12. buzzlulu

buzzlulu Forum Resident

3 additional tracks over the one you initially linked to
    Total 18 tracks so that is good. I just checked my digital copy purchased from Guillaume - as I remembered it is all dub.

I'll check out the Arise album - but first to my shelves to make sure I dont already have it.
    Turns out I have a double Heartbeat vinyl set. Now to check the track listing

13. nmesen

nmesen Forum Resident

On a related note, as far as vinyl goes the original UK LP release on the Tropical Sound Tracs label sounds absolutely amazing. I have many vinyl releases of this album and this one blows them all away sound quality wise. No additional tracks though.

The Abyssinians - Satta Amasagana

Squad 701 likes this.
  14. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

This is a great resource for checking the many many presses of the original album

ABYSSINIANS - SATTA MASA GANA

I have an original Clinch pressing which sounds (and looks) great but good luck finding one, apparently only about 200 copies were pressed

15. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Ok, but the Satta: The Best Of The Abyssinians I linked to is not a variation of the Satta Massagana album, it is a compilation of other songs, it has some of those tracks that were added to the iTunes album you were looking at (altough as extended mixes intead of vocal+dub).

If you have a double LP of Abyssinians on Heartbeat that must be the vinyl verion of the one you now ordered on CD.

There you see the "Satta Azul 1977 US [AZ 2000]", which is the one that uses that cover, is that to be considered and official release then?

I have the "Klik 1977 UK [KLP 9023]" and "Different 1978 UK [GET L 100]" LPs, are these proper authorized/sanctioned releases?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  16. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Well if this was a game of poker I'm not sure who has the best hand, though I'm envious of both of you, I have the Pre Release first issue, the BR white label, the Klik, the Different and the first Azul US issue, I guess I need to try harder.:laugh:

marmalade166 likes this.
  17. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

By Reggae standards I reckon they count as legitimate releases, somebody got paid, even if it wasn't necessarily the right people, the murky world of Reggae.

18. Poison_Flour

Poison_Flour Forum Resident

19. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Crucial 3 cd set.

20. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

Great set! I actually got this one before I was able to track down an affordable copy of Jesus Dread, so I'm probably more familiar with it. Surprisingly there's not too much duplication between the sets.

Poison_Flour and ando here like this.
  21. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Not a frequenter of this thread but listening to Carlton and the Shoes - Love Me Forever right now. Big fan of this record. Is this considered "crucial" reggae?

Also are there reggae reissue labels doing good work? Seems every time I find a reggae record I really love the LP is long out of print.

22. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Yes, Love Me Forever is absolutely crucial!

For reggae reissues, I'll throw out Pressure Sounds, Bristol Archive Records, Yep Roc Records as ones to check out. I'm sure there are others out there as well...VP is still doing their thing but QC can be an issue.

Dubmart likes this.
  23. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I'd say that "Love Me Forever" definitely counts as "crucial".

Assuming you are after vinyl, there's Pressure Sounds, Soul Jazz, Yep Roc/Studio One, Dub Store, Burning Sounds, some titles from VP/Greensleeves, DKR, Bristol Archive Records/Reggae Archive Records, (me), some Trojan reissues on MOV, all those are both pretty reliable for quality and tend to keep titles in print, there are some excellent European labels, but they seem to delete titles a bit faster, or sometimes a lot faster.

Poison_Flour and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  24. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

25. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Thanks for the heads up, I'm still missing some of the Caroline releases. Here are some more that are included:
    The Best of Millie Small: http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01M5DRMT6
    Judy Mowatt Black Woman: http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B017794L38
    Exodus 40 (2-CD): http://www.amazon.de/dp/B06ZYJF4SB

I have to work out if this is a good deal or not, seems to be good for the double CDs, the single CDs usually are cheaper than that at Amazon UK, for example Social Living is £5.99 there: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Social-Living-Burning-Spear/dp/B00VNAA2LI/

What's also good for me is that the German site has free shipping to Sweden, so I don't have to plan orders that carefully, UK used to have free shipping, but no more. On the other hand it's annoying that Amazon "corrects" VAT so that it is the same percentage as your country, no other online shops I know of do that. Great for Americans, but since Sweden has higher tax than both UK and Germany not so good for me... (I alway wonder if they just put this extra money in their own pocket in these cases, or how does it get back to the buyer's country?)