Crucial Reggae

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jackie P, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I love these heavy ambiant dubs arranged by Howie B.

2. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

Try and find the video album they made. It has a 5:1 surround mix. It may be one of the first surround audio releases from almost 20 years ago.

https://www.amazon.ca/Sly-Robbie-Strip-Jeff-Stein/dp/6305280452

Warning. It takes the title of the album to heart and features strippers dancing. It also uses strobe light effects heavily. Might not be good if you're at risk for seizures.

Purple Jim likes this.
  3. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

Do you know if there is a difference, in content or quality, between the original UK and Jamaican pressings Of “Sunday Coming?” Thanks!

4. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Original British and Jamaican have the same running order and tracks, although nothing spectacular I'm sure the British Bamboo is a better pressing than the original seventies Jamaican press, the later US pressings with and without extra tracks, are also better than the Jamaican, I have a feeling there's also a much later UK pressed copy that Alton put out himself, if so that's an okay pressing, but not sure about the source or mastering, the best bang for your buck is likely a US copy although possibly only the first US has the original track listing, the UK is really tough to find in genuinely excellent condition, most copies are played to death, though the same can also be said for Jamaican originals.

It would be nice if Yep Roc's Studio One reissue programme picked up the pace and added this to the many titles worthy of a well done reissue.

rollo5 likes this.
  5. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

This site is essential for collecting Studio 1 albums

DOWNBEAT SPECIAL

And here's the page for Sunday Coming

SUNDAY COMING

rollo5 likes this.
  6. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

Thanks!!!!

marmalade166 likes this.
  7. Wayne Hubbard

Got this a few days ago in my video suggestions.

Hard to believe it has been almost a decade since Buju has recorded anything new.

Bobby Buckshot and Poison_Flour like this.
  8. he is in the studio with Lenky Marsden at the moment

Wayne Hubbard and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  9. Poison_Flour

Poison_Flour Forum Resident

Has this been discussed ?
    If not opinion's

I fell I enjoy this a lot more than I should lol

10. Wayne Hubbard

Last year I pulled out the Trojan Christmas Box Set to get me in the holiday spirit. That is the first track.

There are some good songs on there

Skank Santa Skank! :D

Pigeon City and black sheriff like this.
  11. Wayne Hubbard

Christmas dub from King Tubby's. Sounds like Tubbs on the mix. But, there is no credit on the label.

Pigeon City likes this.
  12. buzzlulu

buzzlulu Forum Resident

Just tried to log in to no avail. After months of rumors is the Blood and Fire forum now down and closed?

13. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

The forum has migrated to a new platform, there is some technical stuff going on, it was gone for a while earlier too, it will come back.

14. buzzlulu

buzzlulu Forum Resident

Great to know that things have been resolved. I had not been on in a week weeks however I was well aware of the problems.
    Thanks for the good news! I will keep checking in to see when it is back up. Right now I can see the posts ( although they seem to only show through October) however I cannot log in

15. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Yes, it seems to just be an archived version of the site, this is how it was for a while some time ago as well.

16. Riccardo2

Riccardo2 Forum Resident

The first song is the best reggae Christmas song ever

macdaddysinfo and Poison_Flour like this.
  17. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

It has been kind of quiet in this thread regarding new releases for a while now. One label that keep releasing stuff at a good pace is Cherry Red's Doctor Bird, are you up to date on their catalogue?: Doctor Bird Archives - Cherry Red Records

One of the latest announcements is a Dennis Brown 2-CD, Just Dennis / Deep Down, plus a bunch of bonus tracks (I guess amounting to his complete recordings with Niney). I think someone once asked about Just Dennis and if there was a CD of it, I don't remember if it was in this thread. Anyway, neither of them have been on CD under their original name before (although most tracks have, via Heartbeat for example, and Deep Down was also part of VP's Deep Roots Observer Style box set).

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  18. Poison_Flour

Wayne Hubbard likes this.
  19. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

20. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Here is an adress to the new Blood & Fire forum: Blood and Fire • Index page

It doesn't seem to be functioning properly yet, you get an error message when you log in and it may seem as if it was unsuccessful, but you do get logged in and if you click a link before the error page loads the look changes to the old one (but you can also get the new look simultaneously, where you are not logged in, so this is how it isn't working right). @buzzlulu

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  21. Poison_Flour

22. Mr Bassie

Mr Bassie Back for more

Hey good people, I’m a long time reggae lover but relatively new here.

Lately I’ve started collecting the Soul Jazz comps on vinyl. Some great stuff there.

marmalade166 and Dubmart like this.
  23. Mr Bassie

Mr Bassie Back for more

Hey there how are your gangsta omegas sounding?

24. buzzlulu

buzzlulu Forum Resident

THANKS !!!!
    Working!

25. they're great
    working on the next generation with bigger bass, bigger everything
    only problem is that I'm broke af!