Crucial Reggae

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jackie P, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I overlooked this when it was released. It looked like another one of the 100's of collections of the Lee Perry productions on the market. Trojan added a track that had never been released on CD before. A duet with Clancy Eccles and Bunny Wailer.

Sounds very similar to Dreamland in some parts and may have come from the same session.

Still contemplating getting the set. I don't know if it is worth it for one song.

Jimi Bat, Riccardo2, uzn007 and 2 others like this.
  2. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I broke down and made a big order with Yep Roc, thinking this was the last chance, so just waiting for the customs to hit me now... :help:

That was released when Universal took over Trojan/Sanctuary, it was the only Marley/Wailers title Trojan had in the catalogue during that period (I don't know if there is one at all now, I guess BMG don't have the rights), I think it is good, as such compilations go, but of course this stuff has been released a gazillion times before. Never reflected over there being a unique track on it. Funny story with this one, I remember I ordered it from Amazon and when I got it there were no CDs in it, just an empty case, never had that happen any other time.

Wayne Hubbard likes this.
  3. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Very short of money, but as they sent me a reminder email I ordered "From The Vaults Vol.1" which is the only one apart from the radio show I didn't have although I only have the Heartbeat issue of the Skatalites, if I get hit by customs then it gets a very, very expensive record. I'd like all the CDs, but just don't have the budget and vinyl comes first, it's not like I can't do good rips anyway.

4. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

It used to be that customs let small value shipments through, so before (with the free shipping in mind) it would have been better to order these one by one. But those routines changed with the large influx of cheap stuff from China and I think the idea is they crack down on everything now, and since they also put an extra flat fee per package I just put everything I thought I'd ever want in one big go. I sent an email to them asking if they could keep the declared value down and got a positive response, so there's at least that.

5. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Yeah, it's the collection fee that kills small shipments, here Royal Mail charge £8 before you pay any VAT, I much prefer sites like Amazon that allow you to pay the VAT without any collection fee, the way my luck is going this month I'll probably get hit and end up paying £40 for the LP.

6. Wayne Hubbard

7. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

8. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

uzn007 likes this.
  9. django68

django68 Forum Resident

All of which reminds me that his Jamaica Jamaica album on RAS is indeed "Criucial Reggae."

10. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

A friend of mine made me a great mixtape CD of Briggy singles once, years ago. According to him, Briggy was very influential in originating a lot of the deejay mannerisms that were big in the 80s (I don't remember any of the details at this late date, and don't know the dancehall era well enough to judge in any case).

One of my favorite cuts:

Agree.

11. Wayne Hubbard

If you want to know more about that time.

Interview with Jerry and Charlie Chaplin going over their careers. Jamaican television program Onstage from around, I believe, 2005. They just uploaded it today. Probably because of him being in the news.

uzn007 likes this.
  12. Wayne Hubbard

I was wondering why Waterbury, Connecticut sounded familiar. At least how Jerry decided to make his residence there. Then, I remembered there's been a Reggae festival held in that area since the 1980's.

The video says 1987. I think it is actually '86.

13. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Thanks for posting this.

They haven't had that festival in years (late 90s?) but central Connecticut has a very large Jamaican expat population. Someone once told me that Hartford had the fourth-largest population of Jamaicans in the US (which would be after NY, Miami and I guess Washington?).

14. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Are you really asking why a black man might be reluctant to call the cops on his friends in America?

I mean, yeah, we're getting his wife's version of the story, which is probably BS, if we were to give her the benefit of the doubt, do you really think that "call the cops" would be high on the list of potential solutions?

In any case, here's a less sympathetic account of the evening, including a gun with an altered serial number and filed-down firing pin:

Dancehall Icon Brigadier Jerry Arrested On Gun & Robbery Charges, Held On $250K Bond - Urban Islandz

15. Wayne Hubbard

I should have been more specific when I said "area." The festival moved to Danbury, CT about 10 years ago. Beres Hammond and Yellowman were some of the artists from this year.

I follow Beres' tour dates quite often. Hoping he will make an appearance here in the Pacific Northwest. He seems to only play in LA the few times he has come to the West Coast. I'm jealous of the East Coast where he makes yearly visits playing multiple venues from Boston down to Miami. I probably have a better chance of catching him at a festival in Europe than somewhere close near here.

uzn007 likes this.
  16. Bobby Buckshot

Pretty commonplace though. Those pins are modified for more predictable performance but the guy shot at a wall on purpose if the report is to be believed.

Totally agree with you on not calling the police, which is pretty ridiculous and ignorant of reality if that comment was made in seriousness.

Anyway, hope he gets a fair day in court with reduced charges and limited sentence if anything at all.

17. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I received my Studio One LP today, customs/VAT free, strangely it had been shipped on from Sweden, I'm guessing 99thfloor's order was so big that they loaded a plane and shipped all the other European orders to Sweden alongside his.:laugh:

18. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Ha, ha, yes that could be it, except I haven't recieved anything yet, I guess customs are keeping mine figuring out how much they can fleece me...

I'm also a bit worried about what condition it will arrive in, my last shipment from Pressure Sounds was mangled in the post. (A word of warning when buying from PS, they don't seem to have a policy for stuff like that, it is at your own risk.)

19. Wayne Hubbard

[​IMG]

First Nighthawk Records overview retrospective. Curated by original Nighthawk producer Leroy Jodie Pierson

Leroy Jodie Pierson started Nighthawk Records in 1974 with a series of classic blues compilations. By 1979 he had sold the label to Robert Schoenfeld and found himself in Kingston, Jamaica producing records for the label, now financed by Schoenfeld. Each had found their own calling, Pierson the more creative, and Schoenfeld, drawn more to the business side. Nighthawk went on to release albums by artists like Gladiators, Ethiopian, Junior Byles, Justin Hinds, Winston Jarrett, Itals, Ronnie Davis, and more.

Now for the first time, Pierson has retrospectively curated what serves as a best-of sampler of his work for Nighthawk. Send I A Lion: A Nighthawk Reggae Joint, brought to you by Leroy Jodie Pierson, this collection combines favorite tracks from the label’s acclaimed albums, to straggling non-LP tracks by The Mighty Diamonds, Morwells and Wailing Souls, including a previously unissued hotel room audition recording of The Mighty Diamonds, “4000 Years.”

“We had not contacted The Mighty Diamonds, they simply dropped by the hotel one night. Their lead singer, Tabby, brought a ragged box guitar with only four strings and began playing the chords of “4000 Years,” which they performed as an audition with Bunny Diamond providing rhythm played on the back of a phone book. We agreed to record the song with Roots Radics,” writes Pierson of the audition.

Pierson also adds photos from his personal collection and new liner notes.

Send I A Lion: A Nighthawk Reggae Joint brings together Nighthawk classic tracks by Justin Hinds And The Dominoes, Culture, Gladiators and more, with some choice rarities from the label to provide a window into Piersons’ productions in Kingston, as released on Nighthawk Records. Essential roots reggae listening!

CALLING RASTAFARI – Culture
    BONGO RED – Gladiators
    WEEPING EYES – Justin Hinds And The Dominoes
    I’M READY – Ethiopian & Gladiators
    4000 YEARS – The Mighty Diamonds
    THANKS AND PRAISE – Junior Byles
    BLESS OUR SOUL – Gladiators
    HARBOR SHARK – Wailing Souls
    WANT MORE – Justin Hinds
    TRAIN TO SKAVILLE – Ethiopian & His All Stars
    YOUNG LOVER – Morwells
    SERIOUS THING – Gladiators
    BABYLON BROKE DUNG ME HOUSE – Winston Jarrett And The Righteous Flames
    MOVE ON OPPRESSOR – Ronnie Davis And Idren
    DEM A PAYAKA – Culture
    STRAIGHT ON RASTAFARI – Ethiopian & His All Stars
    STREETS OF GOLD – Gladiators
    BAD BOY – Winston Jarrett And The Righteous Flames
    TRAVEL WITH LOVE – Justin Hinds And The Dominoes
    4000 YEARS (Audition)* – The Mighty Diamonds

* Previously unissued.

Various Artists — Send I A Lion: A Nighthawk Reggae Joint – Omnivore Recordings

Got the Digital version of this. Nothing really crucial. A good look at how some of the old guard roots artists tried to enter the US market while Dancehall started to took over Jamaica.

Although, the tracks stretch into the 90's. The Ronnie Davis track is from 1996.

There is something missing in the songs. The musicianship and vocals are still top notch. But, it is not like the music produced in Jamaica. It almost sounds neutered in some way. The mix is a little too clean.

The Gladiators tracks are the strongest of the bunch. They are represented by 4 songs. The Mighty Diamonds "audition" song is also interesting. I don't know how many times I would go back to listen to it.

I am not sure how many of these songs have been released on CD or any kind of digital release before. Someone with more knowledge of the Nighthawk catalog may want to speak about that.

20. Bobby Buckshot

Some of those tracks were on the Nighthawk comp Calling Rastafari, which I actually think is an excellent comp - actually, they may have used almost every song from that album here. The rest are definitely from some of these artists' catalog on the label, several of which I have already (I actually dig Nighthawk's sound and mix most of the time). The Morwells' Young Lover is actually the only song from that Best Of album on the label that I like, so that's a good choice.

21. JManPro

JManPro Well-Known Member

Crucial Reggae : Peter Hunnigale's record/CD entitled "African Tears"

22. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

Anyone have opinions on these Dub Colossus albums? I'm a big follower of Realworld Records and their only true roots reggae release is the excellent "Roots Controller" by Misty in Roots. These Dub Colossus albums are more in the vein of Ethiopian jazz and traditional music, with several Ethiopian players collaborating with a Brit named Nick Page. They do cover some roots standards, though, like "Satta Massagana," and many of the vocals are sung in Amharic. Anyway, these two albums are on the way to me and there are several other albums and EPs as well. Just curious if anyone has heard them.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    A Town Called Addis - Real World Records
    Addis Through The Looking Glass - Real World Records

23. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Everything has been on Nighthawk/Omnivore CD before, except the mentioned "Young Lover" from The Best Of The Morwells, which never came out on CD as far as I know (that one, along with most of the other tracks from that LP, were on the RAS Kingston 12 Toughie CD though). There are five tracks (out of ten) from Calling Rastafari, it had an original Nighthawk CD release, but it is really scarce. The third Culture track from that album is included (along with the other two) on the recent Omnivore The Nighthawk Recordings compilation. All the other tracks are included on the Omnivore reissues of albums. The tracks from Calling Rastafari not reissued so far are Itals “Herbs Pirate” (also on Brutal Out Deh) and “Jah Glory”, in fact Omnivore hasn't released any Itals at all, I guess they don't have the rights. (The two remaining Gladiators tracks are also on their separate albums which have been reissued.)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  24. The Itals contacted the previous owner and asked to get their content back. Check copyright act of 1976 and termination of contracts for more details.

Navigating US Copyright Termination Rights

The other tracks from Calling Rastafari and the other NH compilations back in the day were licensed (mostly from Niney) and the licence expired. This new compilation contains only stuff that NH owned.