Crucial Reggae

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jackie P, Jan 22, 2013.

1. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I wouldn't count on it, CDs are not a priority these days... It's also only a little over 30 minutes, so is a bit short for a CD.

It is curious though that this Blue Coxsone Box Set has now appeared on streaming services and is streamable for Europe, unlike any of their previous releases. I wonder what this signifies? We have talked about how the, as yet unreleased, RSD day release is supposed to have distribution in Europe. Isn't also a long time since Soul Jazz has made a Studio One release. Am I making up conspiracy theories...?

Ok... What did I say? :confused:

2. ElevateMeLater

ElevateMeLater Jesus of Cool

I believe that S1 said that Blue Coxsone was a worldwide release, which would explain why its up ex-US at streaming services. I think the only other prior released worldwide title is the House Of Joy box set, and then From The Vaults Vol. 2 coming out next month.

3. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Why I'm getting at is if these new ones are worldwide releases (I didn't know about House Of Joy, and that one is blocked on streaming sites here) does that mean that something has changed in the way that Studio One is licensed in Europe (including the deal with Soul Jazz).

4. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

It's definitely been a while since the last SJ S1 release, with a declining market they may have decided to put their money into other projects and give up the licence, that might also explain why after such a long gap Yep Roc started up again, perhaps they'd given up, but with no SJ and the potential of European sales decided to have a another go, all pure speculation, but it does fit with what we know.

uzn007 likes this.
  5. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

My local will be getting a few copies of Count Ossie's Grounation reissue on Dub Store. I'm guessing that I should grab a copy?

They have several other titles on Dub Store, which my reading in this thread seems to be a quality label. Anything particular that I should look for(or stay away from)?

6. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Stay away from the sixties music unless you can hear it and decide if you like it some of it is great, some isn't, grab the Kiddus I, the Ras Michael, Bunny Wailer dub album and singles comps, the Derrick Harriott Rock Steady Party which is a reissue of the best Rocksteady LP released in the sixties plus the Harriott comps, if you fancy some eighties digital then start with the Jammy$ comps, once you've worked through those then maybe start on the remaining dub LPs.

uzn007 likes this.
  7. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Thanks.

What about the Count Ossie?

8. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

The Count Ossie is great, but it's more a Nyahbinghi/Jazz record than a straight Reggae set, if you dig it then your next step should be "Tales Of Mozambique"

uzn007 likes this.
  9. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Got it.

And what's the title of the Ras Michael you're referring to? Don't see a Dub Store title.

10. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I did the Dubstore list from memory, I have all those I listed and more beside, but I do have a nagging feeling I may have missed something good,

11. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

It's a comp of early singles, give me a minute and I'll get on Discogs.

12. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

The Ras Michael is credited to The Sons Of Negus, it's title is "A Psalm Of Praises To The Most High 1967 - 1972", hardcore Nyahbinghi Roots.

uzn007 and sberger like this.
  13. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

If you enjoy the Sons Of Negus/Ras Michael next stop should be the Honest Jon's reissue of "Dadawah", then work your way forward from there.

sberger likes this.
  14. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Perfect. Thanks again.

Dubmart likes this.
  15. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

How much into Rock Steady and Early Reggae are you? Besides the Harriott compilations Dubmart mentions there's also a similar series for Merritone (three volumes), a Techniques compilation, and some instrumental Lynn Taitt albums. There are also some other 80s Dancehall things, but may again be outside your range of interest. If you do streaming everything can be checked out there. (I learned to stay away from some of their earlier 60s stuff that way, Calypso and Jazz that, I somewhat disrespectfully, think sounds like Tourist/Hotel music.) Another good random title is Africa Iron Gate Showcase.

Some of the things on Dub Store have also come out on Doctor Bird, so are probably cheaper that way, off the top of my head ABC Rocksteady, Gay Feet, Dancing Down Orange Street and Dub Expression (and with all of these you get extra material compared to Dub Store as well), if you are only looking for vinyl there are corresponding MOV releases for some of them. (Tommy McCook The Sannic Sounds is also mostly contained on the B&F Blazing Horns / Tenor In Roots, I forget what is different.)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  16. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Not as much into the rock steady/early stuff as I am the 70's/80's. But appreciate the suggestions/advice.

17. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

As I said there is some really good sixties stuff mostly mentioned above, but also some things that verge on hotel/tourist music or Jamaican pop, it's nice they did them, but I imagine 99% of people will be happy to skip those albums.

18. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Even if you aren't into the sixties stuff just try the Derrick Harriott, he's such a soulful producer and the music is sublime.

uzn007 likes this.
  19. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

A lot of what Dub Store does is early music, but of the 70s stuff I have I like these:

Kiddus I Graduation In Zion
    Tommy McCook The Sannic Sounds (overlaps with Blood & Fire as mentioned)
    Bunny Wailer Solomonic Singles 1: Tread Along 1969-1976
    Bunny Wailer Solomonic Singles 2: Rise & Shine 1977-1986
    Aston ’Family Man’ Barrett & The Wailers Band Soul Constitution: Instrumentals & Dubs 1971-1982 (also on Heartbeat's Cobra Style and Familyman In Dub)
    King Tubby feat Riley All Stars Concrete Jungle Dub
    Bunny Wailer Dubd’sco
    Horace Andy, Winston Jarrett & The Wailers Kingston Rock (Earth Must Be Hell)
    Errol Brown Orthodox Dub
    Africa Iron Gate Showcase

Yes, I edited in my post to mention that. When ErnieB's were having a sale on Dub Store I almost bough the lot, but previewing things on Spotify saved me some money there. :p

sberger, uzn007 and Dubmart like this.
  20. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Thanks for the Johnny Clark, whilst not one of my favourite artists this one is sweet

21. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Thanks! Will definitely be picking up some of these.

22. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

23. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

I'm only familiar with the Well Cha'rged & Joe Higgs albums and they are all classics (of course, the Well Cha'rged is a newly made comp but the tracks themselves are classic). Edit to add, this is one where the CD has some very good bonus tracks that you'll miss with the LP only. I have the LP and it's still great stand alone.

I'd be willing to bet that the Lloyd Parks is killer - and it's a shame it seems that one fell off of my radar. I've got the Mafia 7" from PS and it's always been a favorite of mine. If the rest of that album follows its lead, then it's got to be good.

24. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Thanks! There's another Parks on PS, Lloyd Parkes & We The People* - Meet The People (LP, Album, RE). Also supposed to be great.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  25. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

One of the best reggae albums of the 70s.