Crucial Reggae

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jackie P, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Dreadatthecontrols

Dreadatthecontrols Forum Resident

Some discussion on the Tone Poet thread about Lee Morgan's Sidewinder reminded me of this nice CD.

Monty Meets Sly n Robbie - Telarc CD

As well as The Sidewinder, includes Jamaican Style stripped back drum n bass riddim versions of Jazz and Soul classics by Herbie Hancock, Young Holt LTD/Barbara Acklin, Stylistic, Ramsey Lewis, Art Blakey, Cannonball Adderley, a couple of Monty Alexander originals and the great Jamaican Keyboardist Jackie Mittoo’s Hot Milk.

[​IMG]

2. Snoddywilko

Snoddywilko Forum Resident

I picked this up on RSD and really love it. A nice variety of songs.

Before RSD, I made a playlist of the tracks on Apple Music; most of them appear on the Max Romeo Anthooogy.

3. Dreadatthecontrols

Dreadatthecontrols Forum Resident

Sorry if I missed it (asleep again?) I dont think there has been mention of the passing of Lester Sterling a few weeks back.

RIP & respect

uzn007 and ~dave~~wave~ like this.
  4. Ericlidia

Ericlidia Forum Resident

That makes Doreen Schaffer the last surviving founding member of the Skatalites:cry:

5. django68

django68 Forum Resident

Regarding the Studio One releases, I'd really like a decent press of More of Ken Boothe. I didn't know it had been re-issued. My copy is pretty rough on side 2 - a really good often over-looked album IMO.

I've been listening to a few S1CDs, most of which have the dreaded over-dubbed extended versions. This wouldn't have been so bad if they had included the full original album with these tacked on the end as bonus tracks. I guess that would make too much sense.

Dreadatthecontrols likes this.
  6. Houseplants

Houseplants Forum Resident

Here is a track meant to be enjoyed under the scorching sun of any big city in July or August. The kind of heat that makes short tempered, desperate people do bad things. But instead of putting Public Enemy in the tape deck and raising the tension, why not calm things down with “Water Pistol” an absolute killer 80’s roots tune.

But you gotta watch yourself when you’re in the big city, as Tony sings: “I went for a walk in Central Park in the city of New York, here comes two criminals who want to take away my gal… I had to reach for my Water Pistol”

I’m always dumbfounded when artists release one song in their career, and it ends of being an absolute classic worth 200-300$ for a copy of the vinyl. What happened to Tony Brutus (real name Anthony Richards) for this to be his only contribution to the music world. “Water Pistol”, a storming early dancehall track, was produced by Geoffrey Chung and the vocalist’s brother Mikey ‘Boo’ Richards and released in 1982 on Intense Records.

Since 1983 this beautiful track had not been repressed until Pressure Sounds stepped in with a limited (500 worldwide) reissue that comes with the Dub version and a previously unreleased Alternate Vocal Version.

El Dave and Dubmart like this.
  7. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

RIP Lester. A great musician and a very creative soloist, who was often overshadowed by the two more famous sax players in the Skatalites.

8. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Hi guys- I picked up the Wailing Souls- Wild Suspense CD the other day (had never heard them but took a chance) and really enjoyed them. Is there anything else by them that’s essential or does this album cover the must have stuff?

Man at C&A and marmalade166 like this.
  9. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Probably all the albums up until "Stranded" are worth picking up, though there are a ton of singles that never made it onto an album, or only in different cuts, one could do a few fantastic compilation albums though getting the rights would be impossible.

10. noname74

Thanks. Will keep an eye out for other releases prior to Stranded.

11. Ericlidia

Ericlidia Forum Resident

Also check out the cd Most Wanted-Classic Cuts on Greensleeves, and Wailing Souls At Channel One on Pressure Sounds. Both really good compilations.

12. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

If we are really lucky, Studio One might give us high quality represses of the two albums they put out, most of the previous pressings are pretty poor, in many ways they are a singles band, or at least they released several absolutely essential singles.

Man at C&A, Ericlidia and noname74 like this.
  13. noname74

I believe much of Wild Suspense is remixed older singles..are they Studio One singles?

14. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Off the top of my head, "Row Fisherman" is an updated rerecording, not sure what else on the album is rerecorded, you have to remember that by the time "Wild Suspense" came out most of their Studio One singles were eight or nine years old and things and themes had moved on, "Bredda Gravalicious", "War", "Kingdom Rise, Kingdom Fall", "Very Well", etc., were very different from what they were doing back in '70/71.

Man at C&A and noname74 like this.
  15. Ericlidia

Ericlidia Forum Resident

High quality represses of their debut album Wailing Souls and Soul & Power?
    That would be wonderfull!!:agree:
    Fantastic albums.

Man at C&A, marmalade166 and Dubmart like this.
  16. neruda

neruda Forum Resident

My copy of the newly reissued Bob Andy's Song Book arrived today.

I happily report that the '90s overdubs on "Desperate Lover," "Unchained" and "Feeling Soul" are not present on this reissue. They used the original mixes. Sounds great!

One annoyance though: my copy is a bit warped and visibly wobbles when spinning on my table. But it does not affect sound at all and it's not bad enough for me to fear for my stylus. But boy am I sick of getting warped new vinyl ...

All that said, I do recommend this reissue. :cool:

Dubmart, uzn007 and nmesen like this.
  17. beenieman

beenieman Senior Member

I've heard this song a few times over the years. Surprised he never did much, or anything, else. I wouldn't call it a storming track? It never "storms" but is a lovely song. He deserved more.

18. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Thanks for the review.

neruda likes this.
  19. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Picked up a copy today (US 1st press) for a good price.
    Great stuff.
    Where to I go from here with this group?

20. Ital Galore

Ital Galore Forum Resident

21. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

"The Same Song" which is readily available on good European pressings and "Why You So Craven" which is also available on decent pressings, if you are into dub the Fatman Ridim Section "Israel Tafari" LP is cheaper than the Israel Vibration dub album, but neither are cheap.

22. I would add Unconquered People to that excellent list. It features the Wailers band for those who love Carlton Barrett's drumming style (as well as some badass song)

Songs like Top Control, but the entire album is wicked

zither, crozcat, lukatherfan and 3 others like this.
  23. Ericlidia

Ericlidia Forum Resident

I would like to add Live At Sunsplash, together with The Gladiators. Licks And Kicks on this album is stellar.

riverrat likes this.
  24. x2zero

x2zero Forum Resident

I was happy to see that Soul Jazz had released a new edition of 200% Dynamite! I have the 2015 edition of 100% where the track list was expanded from the original 90s release. I assumed that was the case with the new 200%, but no, only 5 of the original tracks are retained and a whole bunch of new tracks added, it’s basically a different album.

25. 3m3rson

3m3rson Forum Resident

No mention of Junior English on this thread yet. A top talent of 70s/80s Lovers Rock who passed away in March:

https://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/news/20230408/uk-lovers-rock-star-junior-english-has-died

Junior English, the smooth-talking reggae icon with a magic aura

I am curious what those of you in the UK have to share about the King of Lovers Rock, who released 10+ albums and 60+ singles. Maybe 80% of that is available only as the original vinyl press, and there are no compilations of his work, and little streaming. He seems to be completely unknown in the U.S., maybe he is huge in Japan?

A record of his that I absolutely love gets zero mention anywhere. It is “Lovers Key” and the production by Junior at times has little similarities to Lee Perry’s Black Ark. Great drums too. I get sucked into this record every time I play it. Favorite track currently is Sensible Woman:

[​IMG]

Dreadatthecontrols likes this.